Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:49 PM

242 posts, read 974,633 times

Advertisements

Wow, what a weekend! We put over 1000 miles on our car!!

First off, Memphis was MUCH better than we expected. We went at it with an open mind, but it's so hard to stick with that after alot of things you hear. We really really liked the City. It really just proves that one persons opinion is not someone elses. I am probably much more comfortable in areas that many others may not and vice versa.

Okay so what did we do?

Speant Sat looking at apartment communities. Found one we loved. Uptown Square. It's exactly the type of lifestyle we like. We visited Collierville, Germantown and Mud Island. I liked Mud Island, it was cute. But price wise, no thanks. I dont like it THAT much. Did not like Germantown or Collierville. To visit for a shopping trip or the like is fine, just not to live. I dont blame others for liking them and can see why many of you do! Collierville square is just too cute. I even found a trinket in one of the antique shops!

We went to Hueys, Rendezvous, Corky's, The Cheesecake Corner, and I am sure I am forgetting something. We spent a night on Beale St and had alot of fun. Enjoyed the music fest that was going on downtown. Also made it out to the botanical gardens. Their kids area is awsome! I cant wait to take my little ones!

Thought Midtown was just as nice as can be. It really is a neat area. I look forward to getting to know that area more.

The only scary incident we had is quite funny. We got turned around in the UofM area. We have one of those fabulous GPS things that doesnt know what a good street is or isnt. So we are trying to get back to downtown from that side of town and it takes us into this area where there are police cars lined up and down not so nice streets with people standing in the street shouting at us. I just said GET US OUT OF HERE!!! Then I realized they werent shouting at us, they were trying to get us to park in their yard.....I am getting confused.... Then I look to my left and see a HUGE standium.... ohhhhh, it's for parking for the game against Ole Miss!! Then we started cracking up. So that's my scary Memphis story...Getting yelled at by 10 different house holds to park in their yards for the game against Ole Miss!!!

Anyways, I am sure there is much more, but I am exhausted after a busy weekend of walking, driving, eating, ect.... Looks like we'll be down next month to move some of our stuff down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:17 PM

209 posts, read 812,158 times
Glad you had a nice visit!! There was a lot going on downtown this weekend for sure. I totally agree with you on My Big Backyard at the botanic gardens. Is that not amazing!?? I've been 4 times in the last 4 weeks. FYI, it's free on Wednesdays after 1!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:55 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Uptown Square is okay. It's at the north end of downtown, getting close to some pretty rough areas. I think the place has a wide variety of people living there, from medical students, fellows, etc to middle-lower class families with kids. It's not quite walkable to downtown, since you have to walk thru some rather empty and abandoned areas of downtown, past the jail (ie not good people milling around at night!). During the daylight it would be okay, but I would not recommend anyone walk around that area after dark, especially alone. Just something to keep in mind. Have you actually signed a lease there, or are just considering it?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:06 AM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times
Sounds like you tried a bit of everything! Glad you liked Memphis, and I think it's very smart to get an apartment while you explore areas before buying. Good luck in your move!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:41 PM

205 posts, read 334,225 times
Riverset apartments on Mud Island are not expensive compared to the others. One bedroom for a year goes for $650 a month which normal anywhere in Memphis and surrounding suburbs i guess.

I would really recommend these apts over Uptown Square. The island is much more safer than other side of the bridge in downtown.

Hope this helps. Happy apt hunting.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:40 PM

235 posts, read 1,357,642 times
Uptown is a very convenient area to lots of things....

Glad you like Memphis!! When you got lost, you probably were getting into Orange Mound... the area you DEFINITELY want to stay out of (just south of the "tracks" in Cooper-Young).

Old 09-08-2009, 06:51 PM

242 posts, read 974,633 times
we were limited based on a large dog moving with us. Arbors at Harbor Town were the only Mud Island apts to accept large pets and we could barely afford a 2 bed there. At Uptown Sq we could afford a 3, with a patio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_nemi View Post
Riverset apartments on Mud Island are not expensive compared to the others. One bedroom for a year goes for $650 a month which normal anywhere in Memphis and surrounding suburbs i guess.

I would really recommend these apts over Uptown Square. The island is much more safer than other side of the bridge in downtown.

Hope this helps. Happy apt hunting.

Actually Pearlbob, the Trolley picks up at the Marriot, which is one block from the apartments. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza and Uptown Sq was right across the street from us. The other side of Crowne PLaza was Marriott. So a 1 block walk to cathc the TRolley... no big deal. In fact we walked back to Crowne PLaza from the Cheesecake Corner at 11 pm. Sat we walked back to the hotel at 1 am. Not once were we uncomfortable. There was so much traffic, especially earlier in the evening. Now we know the times it picks up, so we can make sure we dont have to walk home... Because seriously, I dont care how safe it is... I dont want to walk that far!!! HA!

We drove all around Uptown, the entire weekend, at various times. Not once did we find the area iffy. The Uptown housing area offers equal opportunity housing and even that area was very well kept and very quiet, at all times. I would have been fine living there (though we would not qualify).

Like I said I love downtown living. That's just me. It's not for everyone and that's fine! I totally get why people like the suburbs and such. I just prefer a life style close to the action. I dont love high rise living (with a large dog you have to walk, who would??) , so this was a perfect middle. Seriously this place is QUIET! We stayed directly across the street from them and we were up at all hours. I made sure to check it out alot and there was never anyone odd walking around, in fact there was little to no traffic (car or foot) except residents pulling in or out of the complex. It's also gated. So that helps.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 PM

369 posts, read 1,232,869 times
Pearlbob is right. Be careful about the Uptown area. Some of the neighborhoods around it are a little rough. Uptown is fairly new. In fact, I didn't know this but apparently Uptown is one of safest areas of Memphis. There was article in the CA that said what crime it did have has dropped dramatically because of the neighborhood watch over there. I know I see at least one cop car everytime I drive by it. Very diverse neighborhood is Uptown.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:21 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,736 times
Crime down in Uptown Memphis

Here is a fairly recent article by a lady who lives in Uptown. Seems like the crime situation is better. She might be somebody you can email if you have questions about the areas.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:48 PM

369 posts, read 1,232,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMGrad92 View Post
Crime down in Uptown Memphis

Here is a fairly recent article by a lady who lives in Uptown. Seems like the crime situation is better. She might be somebody you can email if you have questions about the areas.
That's what I was talking about. Uptown appears to have been done right. Started with a nice core than built around it. I believe I've read some articles about it trying to expand and grow even more in that area. St. Jude is also helping out by buying up abandoned properties and putting it towards their growth. The area will only continue to get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis