Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:02 AM

6 posts, read 12,776 times

Advertisements

-I currently live in NY and I have to relocate to move to Memphis around next March.
I currently am a law enforcment officer for Homeland Security and looking for a good place to live. I have read some of the discussions and it seems the only good places to find a safe apartment is Germantown and Collierville. My girlfriend and I are moving together and prob only will need a nice 2 bedroom apartment around 800. I will have to drive into Memphis city each day to go to work.

My questions are:

-Is it possible to drive to the city from there for work?

-Are these areas I listed really the only nice areas to live?, or is there a better place for apartment? if so, please list...

-Any real advice for places to find a good apartment that is outside of the city would be much much appreciated....If I have to work in the city everyday and deal with all the crap I don't want my personal life to be there too..

Thanks to all that respond...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
It is completely untrue that Germantown and Collierville are the only safe places to live.

It's sad that you are already displaying such a fear and hatred of "the city." Do not be scared of Memphis, it's not the war zone you seem to think it is. That's the attitude that keeps our city down.

To try and answer your questions, yes, people live all over the county and surrounding counties and drive all over to work. It's not a big deal. All of the suburbs have apartment complexes. If you're simply renting in a complex, I don't think living in one suburb vs another is much different.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 PM

54 posts, read 184,583 times
For instance there are some very safe, nice apartments in East Memphis such as Kirby Station and Hunters Trace. I live in one of them and have not had to deal with any "crap" since moving in. Whispering Oaks may be another place to look at.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 12,776 times
Default Thanks for responses

Thank you for responding. I don't think Memphis is bad area, I lived in Liberty City for a while in Miami and also the South Side of Saint Pete, FL. It could only be as bad but not worse. And in my true opionion so mnay people get so scared of "bad areas". If you treat most people with respect where you go, don't try and be a bad ass or stare people down, most people just walk by....anyway, I am dragging on..

Bottom line is I just want to find a nice 2 bed place to live not too far from Memphis city and not pay tons of cash each month. Anyone know the names of any good apartment complexs?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:38 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
What does "tons of cash" mean to you? What is your price range?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:06 PM

165 posts, read 548,290 times
I live in Midtown Memphis and I'm close to everything. You could easily get a 2-bedroom in a nice Midtown neighborhood for 800. It's not as scary as everyone says!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,163 times
IMO, there is no place in the Memphis area that isn't a reasonable commute. In what part of Memphis will you be working? If it's near the airport, Collierville/Germantown/Easter Desoto County,MS would be your best short commute options if you don't live in Memphis proper. If it's downtown, then Bartlett/Lakeland/Arlington/Western Desoto County, MS/and Munford/Atoka are a better bet.

None of those would be more than 45 minutes in rush hour to either the airport or downtown unless there is an accident.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:23 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,061 times
Have you considered Mud Island?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:50 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,054 times
if you insist on being out of the city---going on your personal requirement, etc---i second uofm's info, w/ the strong suggestion of adding millington to the considerations. i can't believe that you can find any lodging in ny for $800 a week w/ 2 bdrms, much less $800 monthly. nevertheless, good luck to you on your future move, and welcome to tn.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 PM

6 posts, read 25,478 times
I grew up in Memphis but now live in a small town about 50 miles outside the city. It is nice coming home to the country everyday and enjoying my little slice of paradise, away from the hussle and bussle. I commute to Memphis everyday and have about an hour or so drive. It is not bad. I work for a company that owns rental and sellable property. You might consider renting a house instead of an apartment. You can get a nice midtown house in the 600 to 800 dollar range. Or you might consider one of our many small towns outside the city. I have listed a link to a real estate agent that I work with. She has many houses for rent as well as for sale. You might want to give her a call. She is very familar with the mid-south area real estate and rentals that are available.
Her name is Sarah Surratt. I work with her on her houses. Painting and sprucing before they are rented or sold. We will be glad to help you if we can. Welcome to Tn!
ssurratt@crye-leike.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis