Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 02:06 PM

25 posts, read 72,721 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to relocate to Memphis, Bartlett or Cordova area in 2010. Looking for a Single Family home, 100K to 160K, 3+ bedrooms, 2+ bathrooms, nice neighborhood and an excellent school system for my 13 year old son.

Looking for some recommendations that fit my above criteria. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 02:12 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1992jones View Post
I'm planning to relocate to Memphis, Bartlett or Cordova area in 2010. Looking for a Single Family home, 100K to 160K, 3+ bedrooms, 2+ bathrooms, nice neighborhood and an excellent school system for my 13 year old son.

Looking for some recommendations that fit my above criteria. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Yet we have another one relocating ^^^

I have to ask, do any of you do any research on here about maybe seeing if anyone else has asked the same question recentally?

Here's a short but correct answer to OP............. ~Bartlett~
Good Schools and Safe Neighborhoods

Welcome to Memphis

Old 10-17-2009, 04:22 PM

369 posts, read 1,232,758 times
Yeah. I highly recommend Bartlett. The Cordova area is alright but it's with the city school system. Actually Cordova High is one of the few best performing high schools that the city school system has from what my aunt, who is a teacher, told me. It just doesn't compare to Shelby County schools though. The Cordova area is more for young professionals who want to own a house that isn't very expensive that's in 'ok' neighborhood.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:33 PM

7 posts, read 23,306 times
Memphis has something here called annexation. Any area that is not part of an incorporated town will most likely eventually be annexed into Memphis. That means higher taxes and poorer services. Cordova falls in that category.

When moving to Memphis, the question you need to ask is if the house is in an incorporated area. Bartlett is its own town. It has a different mayor than Memphis. Schools are Shelby County schools and they are much better than Memphis City Schools. Bartlett property taxes and auto insurance rates are significantly lower than Memphis. Services such as trash pick up are better than Memphis/Cordova.

Most of Cordova is part of Memphis or it is in unicorporated Shelby County and it will eventually be part of Memphis. Memphis just elected a new mayor a couple of days ago. He used to be Shelby County mayor and is well respected by just about everyone.

This is probably confusing, but I hope it helps.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:37 PM

7 posts, read 23,306 times
Appling Middle School is probably the best public middle school in Bartlett. St. Ann Catholic schools is very good (up to grade 8). St. Francis in Cordova is also good. I've heard Arlington Middle School is good, too.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:40 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,437 times
Although I live in Cordova, I have to say Bartlett is better for you. I lived there when my kids were in school (Bolton HS). You can get into a nice neighborhood there within your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: