U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-15-2007, 09:32 AM

120 posts, read 323,447 times
Default Memphis questions!

I will be moving to the Memphis area, from Nashvill! My boyfriend will most likely (unless something major happens) be a Memphis Police officer, which is the reason we'll be moving.

We apparently have to live in the Memphis city limits (we'll clarify but have been told by numerous people), so we're looking at either Mud Island or a place that is a stone's throw to Germantown! I fell in love with Mud Island, but it is on the pricey side! The one close to Germantown is a bit less expensive and has a lot more sq. feet!

Anyways, I've only been to Memphis 2 times in my entire life (once just recently)! Please feel free to give me pointers on everything Memphis! Where to eat, shop visit etc!! Also...is there a dog training club?? Vet? What about a YMCA?

THANK YOU!
emily
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 09:44 AM

3,381 posts, read 8,755,008 times
Your questions are almost impossible to answer. Is there a vet in Memphis? Probably hundreds. A dog training class? Yes, I don't know names though, but I'm sure there are dozens. A YMCA? At least a dozen. Just get online and look. I mean - there are vets in Nashville right? I don't understand your questions I guess.

There are thousands of restaurants and places to shop, you'll have no problem finding that. Memphis is a really big town, bigger than Nashville.

You are looking to buy a home? Or rent? Germantown is much pricier than Mud Island, generally speaking. I don't see why you'd need to live in the city limits to be a cop, but maybe it's some weird rule they have. I feel for your boyfriend though, that is the last job I'd want to have here.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:55 AM

410 posts, read 1,099,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I don't see why you'd need to live in the city limits to be a cop, but maybe it's some weird rule they have. I feel for your boyfriend though, that is the last job I'd want to have here.
I'd say that is a rule.I was considering applying for a job with Memphis Fire as a FF/Paramedic a few years ago(before I passed the 35 y/o age limit...),and one of their requirements was to establish a permanent residence in the city limits of Memphis within 6 months of your hire date.
That does kinda make it difficult,especially moving from a place like Cookeville with a wife & 5 y/o son.One of the reasons I didn't test...cause it would've been almost double the money to start(they earn it,so do police officers!)

firepower

Old 05-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Um...I mean GOOD recommendations for Vets/dog training clubs etc? I know there are a ton of vets etc...however, I do not know which ones are good, which ones I should advoid.

So...I guess my questions are: Which Vet office would you recommend to someone who is new to the area (Germantown etc)? Do you take your dog to a dog training club for obedience classes, if so would you recommend your facility? Do you personally go to a nice YMCA (gym) in the area?

I know for a fact we'd have to live in Shelby county, but apparently during the prob period, we'd have to live in the city limits. Yeah, not everyone is cut out to be a police officer.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:07 AM

I have no clue about dog vets. Especially not way out in Germantown.

I go to a YMCA, but not in Germantown. I'd really suggest using another gym, and not a Y. I go to mine out of convenience to my home and job. Although I heard the new Y in Collierville is gorgeous.

I wouldn't mind being a cop, just not in Memphis. It's a dangerous city, a dangerous job here. Especially city cops.

If you have to live in the city....Germantown is not the city. So you are looking for houses in...east Memphis?

Old 05-15-2007, 10:28 AM

Well, the townhome we're looking at is literally a stone's throw to Germantown! I'm not happy with having to live in the city limits, but it is life and only for a year...so we'll make the best of it! (TRYING to remain positive!!!)

I'm employed by the Y in Nashville....so I'm saddened to hear that the one you go to is not the nicest!

How far is Collierville from Memphis?

I'll honestly take any good quality vet in the area!!

Old 05-15-2007, 10:32 AM

I'd pick the city over suburbia anyday. The burbs are all alike, cookie cutter neighborhoods that look at the same as they do in every other state.

Collierville is about...maybe 20 miles away from the eastern part of Memphis? It's a long haul. There are Y's all over the city though...just check your company's website.

I don't know anything about vets. There is one downtown on 2nd Ave. No clue how good it is. That's literally the extent of my knowledge.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:55 PM

21 posts, read 49,346 times
Hi, I'm new to the board, but not Memphis (30 yrs). I am passionate about animals, so I realize how important it is to you to get good vet info...as in any other city, prices for service is pretty much based on area of town. Southwind Animal Hospital on Winchester is very good, from what I heard. and it's very close to Germantown. Downtown, there is a new vet clinic (maybe on Mud Island?) that's getting good reviews. I train my own dogs, so I can't help with the clubs, but there is good info in the Memphis Humane Society website...and the Agricenter has a couple of good events (shows, races, exhibitions) every year for animal lovers. There are two very popular Y's in town, one downtown, i believe near the ballpark, and one at the corner of Poplar and Highland. I don't use them, so this is hearsay....if your boyfriend is intent on coming to Memphis as a police officer, I say welcome! We need more officers who serious about their jobs, instead of alot of the slackers that I personally know...

Old 05-15-2007, 04:12 PM

Thanks iluvmem! I'll definitely look Southwind Animal Hosp. up when I get into town! I didn't even think to check out the Humane society site there...oops!

He's currently an MP, and very serious about being a Memphis police officer!

Thanks!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,298 times
emmyp, I just happened to stumble across your post here. Dr. Carolyn McCutcheon of Park Avenue Animal Hospital is awesome. I would really recommend her. Also, as far as somewhere to live, Germantown is an excellent place to call home. But you are right, as a Memphis police offucer, you are required to maintain a residence within the city limits. I am fairly sure that will apply for after probation is over.( I am a firefighters' wife and friend to several police officers' wives)
You should look into my neighborhood. I am in a superb little "pocket" within city limits, very convenient to everywhere in Memphis, the houses are of a decent size, and very affordable. If you want the location, just email me. Just to clarify, I am not a realtor, I am just not posting my address here for the world to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis