U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2009, 07:36 AM
 
8,962 posts, read 20,774,929 times
Reputation: 5705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
my cousins friend was gang raped in a stair well.
i dont even think it was reported. she left got a job in mississippi. 2 of the participants were her own students.
I don't doubt it at all. My roommate in Memphis taught in a "good" school, Overton HS. The stories she could tell of the horrors that went on would make the hair on your neck bristle. And because my roommate was white, she was not allowed to discipline black students. She was even told by an administrator to cut her hair because her long, flowing red hair made the black students jealous.

What's horrible is that stories like these don't make the average Memphian outraged. It's like these horror stories are expected. I guess it's why most of my black students from Memphis, once they leave Memphis and experience how civilized the real world is like and that not everything revolves around racial tension, don't want to return to Memphis.

 
Old 11-28-2009, 08:24 AM
 
70 posts, read 181,626 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
I guess it's why most of my black students from Memphis, once they leave Memphis and experience how civilized the real world is like and that not everything revolves around racial tension, don't want to return to Memphis.
I totally believe you.

It is sad that they do not want to go back and contribute. But they probably think that there is nothing to contribute to. I cannot blame any of them for that at all.
 
Old 12-01-2009, 06:23 PM
 
11 posts, read 17,929 times
Reputation: 11
Memphis schools, in comparison to most of the country, are a hideous joke. I have never seen/ known of so many illiterate, half-wit HS Grads! When they can't differentiate they're, their and there upon having received their high school diploma, there are issues. Memphis has a special language all it's own! I am so happy I escaped!
 
Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 PM
 
65 posts, read 76,529 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefibabi View Post
Memphis has a special language all it's own!
Ummmmmm...
 
Old 12-01-2009, 09:06 PM
 
8,962 posts, read 20,774,929 times
Reputation: 5705
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeddd View Post
Ummmmmm...
haha I caught that, too. But stefibabi was educated in Memphs city schools so probably doesn't know the difference between it's and its.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 AM
 
Location: Memphis, Tn ~ U.S.A.
1,256 posts, read 2,236,510 times
Reputation: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeddd View Post
Ummmmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
haha I caught that, too. But stefibabi was educated in Memphs city schools so probably doesn't know the difference between it's and its.
Now thats funny. I'm sure glad you smart ppl are here
 
Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri (tower grove)
2,958 posts, read 2,082,316 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I don't doubt it at all. My roommate in Memphis taught in a "good" school, Overton HS. The stories she could tell of the horrors that went on would make the hair on your neck bristle. And because my roommate was white, she was not allowed to discipline black students. She was even told by an administrator to cut her hair because her long, flowing red hair made the black students jealous.

What's horrible is that stories like these don't make the average Memphian outraged. It's like these horror stories are expected. I guess it's why most of my black students from Memphis, once they leave Memphis and experience how civilized the real world is like and that not everything revolves around racial tension, don't want to return to Memphis.
Wow!

I don't understand why a white teacher would not be able to disipline black students in that particular school? I lived in Memphis for 5.5 years and have known many white teacher that didn't have any problems disiplining black students. There must have been a particular racial problem that was isolated to that particular school.

The principal that told her to cut her long red hair because of black kids jealousy was stupid. I've never heard of such a thing. If its true there has to be more to the story?

Blacks that leave Memphis don't want to return because of jim crow that has leads to lack of opportunity and poor quality of life.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri (tower grove)
2,958 posts, read 2,082,316 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I don't doubt it at all. My roommate in Memphis taught in a "good" school, Overton HS. The stories she could tell of the horrors that went on would make the hair on your neck bristle. And because my roommate was white, she was not allowed to discipline black students. She was even told by an administrator to cut her hair because her long, flowing red hair made the black students jealous.

What's horrible is that stories like these don't make the average Memphian outraged. It's like these horror stories are expected. I guess it's why most of my black students from Memphis, once they leave Memphis and experience how civilized the real world is like and that not everything revolves around racial tension, don't want to return to Memphis.
Wow!

I don't understand why a white teacher would not be able to disipline black students in that particular school? I lived in Memphis for 5.5 years and have known many white teacher that didn't have any problems disiplining black students. There must have been a particular racial problem that was isolated to that particular school.

The principal that told her to cut her long red hair because of black kids jealousy was stupid. I've never heard of such a thing. If its true there has to be more to the story?

Blacks that leave Memphis don't want to return because of jim crow that has leads to lack of opportunity and poor quality of life.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Memphis, Tn ~ U.S.A.
1,256 posts, read 2,236,510 times
Reputation: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Wow!

I don't understand why a white teacher would not be able to disipline black students in that particular school? I lived in Memphis for 5.5 years and have known many white teacher that didn't have any problems disiplining black students. There must have been a particular racial problem that was isolated to that particular school.

The principal that told her to cut her long red hair because of black kids jealousy was stupid. I've never heard of such a thing. If its true there has to be more to the story?

Blacks that leave Memphis don't want to return because of jim crow that has leads to lack of opportunity and poor quality of life.

About this time last year I was volunteering at a community developtment center for school kids to come to after school

I didn't last 6 visits. I was called every racial name imaginable. Had to listen to 8-14 year olds cuss like sailors and was physically attack by a mentally ill 200lb 14 year old that I took to the ground. Instantly the room erupted into chaos. All the kids could say was >>> were gonna call the po po on you, we gonna call the po po on you. They didn't(thank GOD, I would have hated defending that charge, whatever it would have been)

I was told by 1 of the other mentors "We are not allowed to give out any kinda discipline....Are u kiddin me. This is whats wrong with this city now, If I would have acted out like this not only would my Father have given me a beat down. He wouldn't have mind at all if the person I had attack took a couple smacks at me...Heck, he wouldve incouraged it


I hate to say this. But letum all kill each other. I've had it
 
Old 12-02-2009, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri (tower grove)
2,958 posts, read 2,082,316 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
About this time last year I was volunteering at a community developtment center for school kids to come to after school

I didn't last 6 visits. I was called every racial name imaginable. Had to listen to 8-14 year olds cuss like sailors and was physically attack by a mentally ill 200lb 14 year old that I took to the ground. Instantly the room erupted into chaos. All the kids could say was >>> were gonna call the po po on you, we gonna call the po po on you. They didn't(thank GOD, I would have hated defending that charge, whatever it would have been)

I was told by 1 of the other mentors "We are not allowed to give out any kinda discipline....Are u kiddin me. This is whats wrong with this city now, If I would have acted out like this not only would my Father have given me a beat down. He wouldn't have mind at all if the person I had attack took a couple smacks at me...Heck, he wouldve incouraged it

I hate to say this. But letum all kill each other. I've had it
When you say give out dicipline are you talking about suspension or actually hitting the student? I personally think its sad that the students feel like using racial slurs at you. What type of history does the institution have that has created that negative energy? No I don't believe that every adult has the dicernment to spank children. Just by listening to them talk. By you writing letum kill each other you probably don't need to be working with kids period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top