U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:59 PM

58 posts, read 165,696 times

Advertisements

It's been over one and half year since I came to Memphis for my job with a major local company. I grew up in Asia, spent a few years in Europe before coming to the states about four years. So far I have visited a dozen US cities and stayed in two of them for over a year. Based on all my overseas experience, I would say Memphis has been the worst city I have lived in.

1. The first six months in Memphis brought me a strange sinus infection which has been making me feel like I am a sick man all year long.

2. In my 24 years of life, I had the first burglary in Memphis about one month ago.

3. It is not possible to find a decent authentic Chinese restaurant here.

4. For a city of its size, it doesn't even have a premium University.(Rhodes may be one)

5. The place is simply not suitable for those not strong enough to cope with big variations in temperature.

6. Wherever you go, you ride your car. It is simply inconvenient.

The list could go on and on, I am going to stop here for you to comment.

BTW, I enjoyed reading this forum. lots of people from Memphis have been really friendly and helpful.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:56 PM

7,972 posts, read 8,009,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond5 View Post
It's been over one and half year since I came to Memphis for my job with a major local company. I grew up in Asia, spent a few years in Europe before coming to the states about four years. So far I have visited a dozen US cities and stayed in two of them for over a year. Based on all my overseas experience, I would say Memphis has been the worst city I have lived in.

1. The first six months in Memphis brought me a strange sinus infection which has been making me feel like I am a sick man all year long.

2. In my 24 years of life, I had the first burglary in Memphis about one month ago.

3. It is not possible to find a decent authentic Chinese restaurant here.

4. For a city of its size, it doesn't even have a premium University.(Rhodes may be one)

5. The place is simply not suitable for those not strong enough to cope with big variations in temperature.

6. Wherever you go, you ride your car. It is simply inconvenient.

The list could go on and on, I am going to stop here for you to comment.

BTW, I enjoyed reading this forum. lots of people from Memphis have been really friendly and helpful.
I thought UM was a premium college. But maybe I am wrong.
Anyhow, welcome to Memphis. My car has been broken into twice while I lived her, I witnessed one purse-snatching from an 80 year old lady, and a good friend of mine was nearly car-jacked a gun-point, in Collierville of all places. All this in little over a year. Never happened during my 8 years in Seattle-Tacoma Washington, and 1 year in Lawton OK. And they say Memphis is just like any other city.lol

Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,632,320 times
1. Maybe you should see a doctor

2. I've been here almost 61 years with no burglary. Either you're unlucky....or I should buy lottery tickets.

3. Who cares. This is the South. All we need is BBQ. And Jack Daniels.

4.Yes, there is Rhodes. Not to mention CBU. Not every city has a Harvard....even in Europe or Asia.

5. Where can you live where the temp is the same year round.....I wanna move there...

6. I've used public transportation, both here and in other cities. I much prefer my MG. I can go wherever I want, whenever I want. And be there in 30 minutes. Often much less.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:36 PM

252 posts, read 562,313 times
Default Memphis sucks

Memphis can really depress you if you've lived elsewhere. I think now that we have Mayor Wharton leading the city there is hope. The only way I have survived here is to find people who are open minded through classes, church, book clubs etc. As for the sinus infections I've heard taking a tablespoon of local honey will cure it. Using a neti pot and taking Motrin will stop the inflammation of your sinus membranes until the honey starts to work. It may take a few months till your body adjusts.
If you can find people on this forum who live in Memphis and we understand one another I guess there is hope here. I'm still packing my bags and looking for somewhere less frustrating. It's the lack of education and sense of entitlement to the government teat that I hate. It's how my parents taught me not to live.

Last edited by psi2007; 12-29-2009 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Add and correct

Old 12-29-2009, 08:39 PM

252 posts, read 562,313 times
Default really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post

2. I've been here almost 61 years with no burglary. Either you're unlucky....or I should buy lottery tickets.

4.Yes, there is Rhodes. Not to mention CBU. Not every city has a Harvard....even in Europe or Asia.

5. Where can you live where the temp is the same year round.....I wanna move there...

6. I've used public transportation, both here and in other cities. I much prefer my MG. I can go wherever I want, whenever I want. And be there in 30 minutes. Often much less.

Nice try Cartpath.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:35 PM

61 posts, read 115,519 times
For the most part you described any number of cities in the South. I hope things get better for you.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:16 AM

133 posts, read 214,607 times
Geez, this strikes me as incessant whining of the sort one sees from entitled socialites with their noses in the air.

Try New Asia or Asian Palace for Chinese food, especially for Peking/roast duck. If those don't work, and you sincerely want to find Chinese food, PM me. I'll find several suggestions from my parents who still live there. And they are happy there having lived there for 30+ years. And they are from Asia.

Memphis is a city of 1.2 million, and not many cities of that size have an Emory (Atlanta-- far bigger), Wash U (St. Louis -- far bigger), etc. Nashville is slightly bigger, but it has Vandy, kudos. New Orleans has Tulane and UNO -- great advantage for them, and they are slightly bigger. Anyone who reads my posts here knows I am an aggressive advocate for change and improvement of Memphis, and we do need a university to fill that void. U of M is not a premium university, although the law school should be making strides soon. CBU and Rhodes are, but Rhodes is happy in serving its niche excellently.

I lived in St. Louis attending Wash U. I lived in Durham, Taipei, and now Phoenix. I am looking to return home. I've seen crime first hand in all those cities. In St. Louis, a hit and run driver struck my car then hit a pedestrian and kept driving in the Central West End, a supposedly "nice" neighborhood.

When one lives in an urban environment, it's important to take proactive steps not to become a victim. Don't place a welcome mat for criminals, so to speak. While that reduces ones' likelihood to become a victim, sometimes stuff happens. That can either unleash negativity, or build strength.

I see standard hyperbole. Memphis is not the dark side of the moon, and you can't compare it with overseas cities or cities one merely visits. A lot of it depends on what one looks for. I love it. I miss it. I'd love to return to help improve it.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:43 PM

3,381 posts, read 8,942,909 times
Maybe we should all suck our breaths in and scrunch together so we can de-spread the city out and make it less inconvenient for driving.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 PM

7,972 posts, read 8,009,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post

Where do you live in Memphis? Yes, you do need to but a lottery ticket because you are a lucky man.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,893 times
I am going to be moving to Memphis in July for work....I knew that it had a lot of crime in certain areas, but the more I am reading it seems Memphis is awful. Glad TN issues concealed carry permits...

I am not too much concerned with my own safety, as I can handle myself and have been in sticky situations before but am concerned with the safety of my girlfriend who will be moving with me. I've never been in an area where armed carjackings are a normal thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis