U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2010, 12:31 AM

8,066 posts, read 8,227,087 times

Advertisements

I live in a small apartment in MidTown and my electric bill is around 150 a month. I think that is pretty high for our apartment. I have a hard time paying the bill in full these last few months . I pay around 100 bucks a month but can't get the whole 150 so I am always behind and it ads up. Sometime I get extra cash and pay the maybe 250, and I am almost caught up until next bill come and I can't pay that in full and so continues the cycle.
Can anybody let me know how long I have before they turn my power off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 06:17 PM

32 posts, read 68,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I live in a small apartment in MidTown and my electric bill is around 150 a month. I think that is pretty high for our apartment. I have a hard time paying the bill in full these last few months . I pay around 100 bucks a month but can't get the whole 150 so I am always behind and it ads up. Sometime I get extra cash and pay the maybe 250, and I am almost caught up until next bill come and I can't pay that in full and so continues the cycle.
CAll the power company, The phone number is on the bill. Explain to them exactly like you did here. There are thousands of people in town with that very situation. Sounds to me you are making a good effort to pay your bill, just you are on a treadmill of being a month late.

If you can not or will not call, until you get a notice to terminate service then I would not sweat it. Even IF you get a notice to terminate service, call or go to a branch and beg for some extra time to pay. They WANT your money, keeping you as a customer is how they make money.

Don't take my suggestion as a reason to put this bill last in the line, continue to pay like you have and do the best you can, what more could anyone do?

Best of luck.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 PM

128 posts, read 261,822 times
Quote:
Instead of being the usual approx. $30 (I don't run the AC), my November bill was about $60 and my December bill was $112. This is for a 1 bedroom apartment on Mud Island. I think my December bill was partially higher because my mom was with me for 10 days leading to more electricity use (lights, cooking, etc.). If you log into your account at MLGW you can see where you fall in relation to the average cost of electricity for a home your size. Mine was close, but still less than average for December, according to the website. So $150 may not be unreasonable if you have a family (I'm single).

I also tend to keep the temperature at about 70 degrees when I'm home, 65 at night. Look at your temperature settings and see if they really need to be where you set them or can you adjust them at all to use less electricity by adjusting the amount/type of clothes you wear around the house. If I am planning on leaving my apartment for a long time (>1 hour) I used to shut the heat off. Now with this cold spell I've been setting it at 50 (apartment never got that cold anyway as far as I know).

Try to unplug stuff you don't need. I hear (no proof) cell phone chargers are notorious for using electricity even if they are not charging anything. So when I'm done using it I unplug it. Same goes for the toaster.

If you are $150 almost year round you may also have an insulation issue. I always knew my room was colder than the rest of the apartment. When my mom was here she felt a breeze from one of the windows. It looked closed, but when we opened it we found a small stone at the base. Since removing that and placing some weather seal strips there is less of a difference. The weather seal strips really helped.

These little things eventually add up.

As far as the bill paying, all I can do is second Donho3's post. I hope things work out for you.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:11 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,121,570 times
Quote:
in one fiscal year, a customer is allowed to make late payment arrangements on bills 9 times. two month arrears must be paid according to the late cycle you are on, unless you have made previous arrangements. if not, your service is terminated the day after the 6th week, unless the temperature is at 32 degrees. in that case, power is continued until the daytime temperature reaches 42 degrees. if you have made no arrangements, you will be required to pay the bills for both months, in addition to the late fees, and a deposit, which, in most places, is from $125.00-$250.00. moast utility companies "don't play."

Old 01-17-2010, 01:35 AM

8,066 posts, read 8,227,087 times
I have never received a late notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis