Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 10,097 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I might be moving your way. I'm from the chatt area but I've lived in ft lauderdale fl since I was 18. Now 51. Time to go. A tranfsfer may bring me to Memphis. I'm confused about the area. Of course my first question is about the crime. Every blog brings it up. Next concern. I've been looking on craiglist for a couple mths at rentals. They look to good to be true. Do they use actual pics? It appears to me that I can find a one bedroom in the range of 550 to 700. I want to be near rest and coffee shops. Midtown seems the place. Or Cooper young? Also, most apts seem to accept pets. I would love feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 04:30 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Sounds like Mid-Town or University area would suit your style. Post some address's your looking at and the companys repersenting them. This is the only way I could evaluate if they are being less then honest

Old 01-25-2010, 04:49 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
I'd recommend contacting one of the real estate agencies that manages rentals - I know Crye-Leike has some offices that do; some that don't. Give them a call and find out.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:41 PM

Post Rents $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit1958 View Post
Hi everyone. I might be moving your way. I'm from the chatt area but I've lived in ft lauderdale fl since I was 18. Now 51. Time to go. A tranfsfer may bring me to Memphis. I'm confused about the area. Of course my first question is about the crime. Every blog brings it up. Next concern. I've been looking on craiglist for a couple mths at rentals. They look to good to be true. Do they use actual pics? It appears to me that I can find a one bedroom in the range of 550 to 700. I want to be near rest and coffee shops. Midtown seems the place. Or Cooper young? Also, most apts seem to accept pets. I would love feedback.
One I see often is Kirby station. 1 bedroom looks beautiful. Around700 and includes utilities???? Unheard of down here. And these redone buildings with exposed brick look great. Looking for opinions of life in me
phis.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:44 PM

26 posts, read 58,649 times
I'd say spend a little more and look downtown... much closer knit... and easy to be "included" walk to coffee shops take the trolley... arts district... beale street...

downtown you will live closer to others.... and actually meet the people around you

good luck

Old 01-26-2010, 05:58 PM

Post Safety issues

Is the downtown area safe to live in? What r average 1 bedroom rental prices?

Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit1958 View Post
Is the downtown area safe to live in? What r average 1 bedroom rental prices?
38103(downtown) is the safest zip in Memphis

Google "apartments on mud island/ memphis". There are several different complexs, all are safe and clean

Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 PM

165 posts, read 548,539 times
Midtown is the place to be. It's VERY close-knit (seriously, I'm from a town of 900 people, and I run into more people I know here everyday). I live in 38104, which is one of the more famous zip codes here. Downtown just seems a little too sterile for me...Midtown has little local restaurants, a small movie theater, locally owned businesses, and so on, and while Downtown has those too, they are often (in my experience) geared more towards tourists.

On safety: Again, I'm from a tiny town, and went to a very small college. I was pretty nervous about moving here. However, I have been panhandled 3 times, and the only time it was aggressive was Downtown. Most of the time it's just older men asking you for some change. Also, I have walked, by myself, to multiple places in my area, and never had any problems (even at night!). Now, would I recommend walking alone all over Midtown? No. But I wouldn't recommend that anywhere.

Rent: Rent is so cheap here. I have a 1 bedroom, 750 sq feet, nicest place I've ever lived apartment with great neighbors and on a nice, quiet street, for $525 a month. Seriously. One caveat is you need to either see the property in person, or have someone vouch for it, cause some places are near really shady things. PM an address and I'll tell you my opinion on it. I went through Revid Realty, and had absolutely no problems.

Good luck with your search, and feel free to message me if you have any questions. I'm probably moving in a couple of years, and I'm already sad, because I LOVE memphis!

Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 PM

Thank you to ladybug. Great info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: