Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,066 times

Advertisements

I thinking about moving from Cordova to Midtown to be closer to work. I work in the Cooper Young area and found a nice house on Philadelphia Street, but I'm not really sure about the area and how safe it is or isn't. It looks really nice and all the house and lawns are well kept up for the most park, but is kind of close to East Parkway and the Fairgrounds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 10:50 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,341,649 times
The last two streets on the Southeastern Boundry(Behind McDonalds) of C/Y is shifty...Ride down thru there at night, you'll see what I mean

Old 02-14-2010, 12:15 PM

53 posts, read 121,443 times
I have a friend that lives on Nelson Ave and Philadelphia St. He likes it over there and some of the neighbors. I do agree with what 901 said about the last two streets! Just be careful! My friend is getting ready to move over by me Harbert Ave and S McLean area, he's been looking over in that area.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,066 times
Thanks for the input! I've been driving the area some at different times of the day to get a better feel for it. Still deciding.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:07 AM

165 posts, read 598,105 times
Grew up in Memphis, lived there for 30 years, however I have been out of the city since 2001.

I would look at the demographics of the area and see from the streets the type of people in the neighborhood and so on. The area is majority African American.

I would also look at the crime statistics. Are people buying drugs in that area? Is there a gang influence? Is there a good police presence? Memphis P.D. is always so stretched, that unless you are murdered, they are not going to come quickly. If you are white, they will come slower.

This area is Orange Mound to me. I wouldn't live down there. I wouldn't of lived down there 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: