Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:40 AM

31 posts, read 67,821 times

Advertisements

Hello there people.

I am, very shortly emmergrating to Memphis with my wife.

I am really looking forward to, what can only be described as a life changing move

However as a humble Englishman, there seems sooo much to take in and be aware of.

My Darling lady only last night (after months of knowing) decided to inform me of your lovely local Brown backs and Black widows... I really feel uneasy about spiders at the best of times, and thats the no poison or bad attitude tiny english ones!! lol But i guess the hype is a lot larger than the actual threat.

Weather; you guys do get Tornados etc?

Now not to cause a stir but again not being used to this how does everyone get along, black/white and all other countries/ colours? is it set apart as sterio types dictate or is it all a load of nothing?

Whats living standards like, things look pretty cheap and great compared to the UK but things i guess are comparative etc and what you used to.
Also I had heard although do not know, that the state of Tennessee has quite strict Drinking Laws??

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. But and hints or pointers to any of these questions would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers People take care

Paul

Last edited by booma; 02-23-2010 at 04:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:41 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,295,956 times
Here's an early Welcome to Memphis! (I hope I'm the first to say it.)

Don't worry about spiders and tornadoes. They're beyond your control. You're likely to see a spider here or there; just play nice, and they usually reciprocate. If that doesn't work, get a big shoe and show them who's boss. Here in the Mid-South, we have 'tornado season' every year, and, in fact, we are entering that season right now. Memphis is usually lucky enough to escape the season unharmed, but you will undoubtedly hear about some small town in Arkansas or West Tennessee being leveled every now and again. Somewhere between a third and half of the U.S. is prone to tornadoes. Unless you live on one of the coasts, you'll get accustomed to the occasional siren. Most cities have systems that blast loud sirens whenever there's a tornado sighting; these systems are remnants of the Cold War, and we had to find some good use for them. (Of course, if you do live on a coast, you'll encounter plenty of other weather-related problems.)

Race relations in Memphis are not what they should be. In fact, to be honest, I would say that race relations in Memphis downright suck. However, putting 'race relations' aside and focusing solely on individual relationships, you are sure to find great people of all races who are willing to work with you, get along with you, and enjoy life with you. I have found that on a macro-scale (city-wide, that is), Memphis is still very much a segregated city. On a micro-scale (my home, my work, etc.), though, things are getting better everyday. Several of my very closest friends in Memphis are African-American; we love each other and get along just fine without the help--or hindrance--of the race-baiting politicians. (Politics in Memphis is, unfortunately, largely racially-defined. The recently-retired mayor once challenged white folks to leave the City altogether. He's now running for Congress, and his sole issue thus far is that Memphis should not have a white Congressman as it now does. You'll find attitudes like that on both sides; fortunately, the folks who carry those attitudes are scooting ever so closer to irrelevancy.)

Memphis is a very affordable city, especially when compared to other top-25 cities in the U.S. Liquor laws in Tennessee are odd, largely a result of church influence. You can't buy beer on Sunday mornings, and liquor stores are typically closed altogether on Sundays. These 'blue laws'--as they're known--are silly and capricious, but they're not going to change anytime soon.

I hope you like Memphis. Sometimes I love it, and sometimes...not so much. But it's home, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. As a newcomer, you'll probably have a blast with our own Americana -- Graceland, Sun Studios, Stax, Beale Street, etc.

Best wishes on the move.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 AM

Wow,

Thank you very much for a quick indepth considerate and friendly reply.

I agree on race. In the Uk we have a rep for being racist, but its not really, i just didnt want to offend people with my indifferent "deal with it, so what hes a person at the end of the day" attitude. Being English we have a tendency to have a " i think this so your a bit of an idiot" syndrome, if we aint bothered why the hell is any one else etc etc

Or as is known to many "foot in mouth" desease. We excell at it.

I know i really will have to get over the 8ft tall 8 legged monster spider freaks! it will take a while but i shall.

Origonally we were moving to Maryland. We liked it and researched it and then job opertunity's moved and we found our selves moving to Tennessee! We were stunned, but looking at it, really looking forward to it, and the more we research the more luvky we feel, what other state could yo uwant for all that is really American ? Well from an outsiders point of view.

So much history, so much roots of music etc etc. I discovered a lot of the metal music and rok i like origonates in tennessee and the surounds. Little bonuses like that just make it all the more exciting.

It seems a lot more laid back than opther places. Much like the north and in particualr North east of England. People live at a different pace and are friendlier...i hope!

I love history and Tenneessee seems to have a lot and seems a beautiful place, being a country boy myself i am all about the scenery...but not the bugs! lol

I forgot about the religious input on laws etc, i guess the term Bible belt is true. Here in the UK we are still a christian Country but any religion in the UK is quiet and has little to play in every day life. quite the contrary to even 30-40 yrs ago. Will have to remember that and not offend people with my big oppinionated mouth lol. But i am sure the accent will help me a little...

Over all i am really looking forward to it and already feel like its home even though i am still here in Blighty!!

Thanks

Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 AM

369 posts, read 1,229,272 times
Well, welcome to Memphis mate. Just kidding. lol Just to touch on a few of your questions. I don't know about spiders here but I don't think you'll have problems with them. We get all four seasons here. It's mostly a mild climate and is the winters are short. Tornadoes do happen here. They're not as strong as they are in the Great Plains region, but they do occur. Race relations are so-so. Things in Memphis are cheap and fairly priced. Houses here are also fairly priced. You'll get more bang for your buck here, when compared to other parts of the country. Drinking laws are pretty strick here when it comes to driving drunk. You'll hear and see alot of commercials about it over the radio and TV here. Drinking is just apart of the culture and history here in Tennessee. Since you're from the UK, you'll probably enjoy the Evergreen District or Central Gardens District to live in. Older neighborhoods with lots of history. Of course, there are other areas in Memphis that you might like so it all depends on you.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 AM

Cool, cheers mate

Thanks again for the response. It makes the idea of moving that little more agreable and less "rabbit in the headlights" kind of thing.

I think it is going to be sooo different from her majesty's little overpacked and damp isles, we will be blown away and amazed!!

Take care

Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,338,333 times
booma, welcome to the united states and to M. the best to you and your lady. you'll be loved for your accent. probably, you will have to become a little less direct, and keep, what seems to be a wonderful attitude. hearty congratulations on your move. hope to me you for drinks (i'm a highland, glnvt, glnfdt scotch drinker, but i never turn away a good whiskey or martini)
and you will have to have a good tn bourbon, for a "i did it" brag. again, welcome---kingchef

Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM

145 posts, read 411,540 times
don't fret about the spiders - i am not terribly keen on them either and haven't seen any here that couldn't have been english ones (i'm from england too) altho some friends in cordova had some black widows in their house (something to do with new houses and flattening forest to build them causes infestations) so avoid buying a home in cordova. of course, there are many reasons to avoid real estate in cordova anyhow.

weatherwise, i will say it is more interesting here than in damp ol' blighty. thunderstorms are more spectacular, summers are ACTUALLY hot and what I like best here is that the evenings/nights are warm too so time spent outside is really nice. of course i was brought up in newcastle int uk so i went out without a coat regardless, but it is certainly nicer to do so here.

the only major differences with drinking - besides the whole age thing - is not being able to buy owt stronger than beer in the grocery store (where is my wine aisle?) and some liquor stores are closed on sundays. that said, i think variety is pretty good altho if you are into obscure yorkshire brews then you might have a tough time, but there is certainly a lot of places to try out.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:46 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,352,000 times
Cheers Mate

I know some blokes from across the pond

Welcome to Memphis

Old 03-16-2010, 07:17 PM

80 posts, read 266,384 times
Spiders...ugh. Did you have to mention spiders? Brown recluses...oh geez. Rule of thumb in the Mid-South: if it's brown, about the size of a US quarter (including legs), and growls when you turn on the light -- scream and run. Heeheehee.

Nah, really it's not that bad as long as you have your home/apartment regularly treated for bugs. I grew up in a recluse infested house. Bonus: we had brown carpet. I survived unbitten. Do watch out for black widows and brown recluses, but don't worry too much. Avoid brown rugs/carpet and shake out your shoes or any clothes you leave on the floor before you put them on. Seal up anything you store in the attic. Etc.

Regarding tornadoes -- Memphis is a bit weird. The city is situated on a bluff on the Mighty Mississippi. The river and the bluff can be a bit of a buffer when it comes to tornado-spinning storms coming from Arkansas (west to east). The thunderstorms boom like the wrath of the gods in the city, but the tornadoes usually skip over the city and drop down out in the burbs (Germantown/Collierville/Arlington) or further east. The storms that are most likely to drop a tornado into Memphis are those that come up from Mississippi (southwest to northeast/south to north). Fortunately those aren't too common. The thing is, the TV stations are really good about covering storms, and we do have the sirens. When you arrive, it might be a good idea to pick up a weather radio with an automatic warning feature like this: Amazon.com: Midland WR100B Weather Radio: Electronics

Old 03-30-2010, 02:26 AM

Great, thanks everyone.

I didnt expect to get more replies.

I thought the novelty of a brandnew nervous sounding brit would have worn of lol

Kingchef, i would more than be up for a drink tennessee style I am more of an ale and gin drinker burt anything local cannot be missed out on!
A little less direct? do i come across bad? sorry or do you mean on how i broach subjects? i can be like a bull in a china shop. I shall endevour to be as friendly and palpable as possible as that is truly how am

Jessielou... your a geordie!!?? or near enough. there is hope then, i was becoming worried about melting on day one by the sounds of the weather.

Being from Consett, we never ware coats either...but that does not mean we can deal with the crazy tempretures in tennessee! Really looking forward to it though, yeah, the booze laws seem...odd, but i think there is going to be sooo much i take for granted that am ganna be so pre-occupied that that will be the least of me concerns My Mrs had receantly been looking at Cordova... I shall stear her away, for i am a massive big girls blouse when it comes to anything with too many legs and eyes. What brought you over?

901, i am suprised how many of you guys do have brit friends, i thought we were universelly mistrusted lol and everyone remembers how we say "cheers mate" guess my accent will be quite a novelty for a bit, especially as i am northern english, its even more crazy.

Rockadoodle, seriously, if you tell me they growl then scream and run at you...i will beleive you! I will become some gun crazy home protection nut against anthing with more than the god given 2 legs!
I had heard memphis was quite shielded from the bad weather. I just think seeing something like a tornado will truly put the fear and wonder of god into me. In Blighty, we have nothing like that, maybe it explains why the states are more devout, you get to see the rathful side of things. It would make me think again!! We just have to worry about a lot of rain. god it can be depressing! ALthough, if ever caught up in "real" weather, i am sure i will miss misserable soggy weather like it was the best thing ever lol

Thanks again everyone. I really do appreciate the input and as always it makes me that little bit less worried about treking across the world to start new.

Still...spider the size of buses that scream and spit at you and eat your children.....uuuuurgh!!!!

Take care

Last edited by booma; 03-30-2010 at 02:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis