U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 11,373 times

Advertisements

I am a 27 year old female who is attempting to move to memphis. I am a paramedic and I love the way memphis looks but I really have no clue about what areas of town are good to live in or if there are places right outside the city that are great to live in and don't cost a fortune. I just need some advice on where to get started. I have never made a big move like this before and I want to make sure I don't regret it I am single so I don't want to live around hundreds of married people with no new friends to meet. Any suggestion or advice? Any paramedics out there from memphis or surrounding areas that could offer advice? Thanks!

Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 04:03 AM

79 posts, read 301,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinebeauty8
I am a 27 year old female who is attempting to move to memphis. I am a paramedic and I love the way memphis looks but I really have no clue about what areas of town are good to live in or if there are places right outside the city that are great to live in and don't cost a fortune. I just need some advice on where to get started. I have never made a big move like this before and I want to make sure I don't regret it I am single so I don't want to live around hundreds of married people with no new friends to meet. Any suggestion or advice? Any paramedics out there from memphis or surrounding areas that could offer advice? Thanks!

Amanda
For a young single female such as yourself, I would recommend you live in either Downtown, Midtown or East Memphis. The suburbs around Memphis are mainly made up of married couples with children. A lot of where you are going to live in the city is determined on what kind of lifestyle you are wanting. Are you looking to buy a home or rent an apartment? Do you like being near the nightlife or do you want to be in a quiet neighborhood? Do you like older homes or newer? I am the president of a community association in the middle of the city of Memphis (between Midtown and East Memphis, not too far from the University of Memphis). Our website is www.poplarhighland.org. I love where I live. I am in your age range (30) and I find that this area is full of people 25-35 years old, some married, some not. If you have any questions of me, feel free to send me an email. I sent you a private message with my email address.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:04 PM

9 posts, read 60,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTiger
For a young single female such as yourself, I would recommend you live in either Downtown, Midtown or East Memphis. The suburbs around Memphis are mainly made up of married couples with children. A lot of where you are going to live in the city is determined on what kind of lifestyle you are wanting. Are you looking to buy a home or rent an apartment? Do you like being near the nightlife or do you want to be in a quiet neighborhood? Do you like older homes or newer? I am the president of a community association in the middle of the city of Memphis (between Midtown and East Memphis, not too far from the University of Memphis). Our website is www.poplarhighland.org. I love where I live. I am in your age range (30) and I find that this area is full of people 25-35 years old, some married, some not. If you have any questions of me, feel free to send me an email. I sent you a private message with my email address.
What? No RPI Update?

Old 08-06-2006, 03:33 AM

79 posts, read 301,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmwalton
What? No RPI Update?

No, not this time. You're the reason I even found out about this place. Nothing better to do during the offseason, I suppose.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 13,694 times
Default memphis

As a single person, you will find memphis filled with things to do if you like clubbing and music. that is pretty well it for memphis. My step daughter who is 30 seems to enjoy the single life here. I, however, can't stand Memphis, as I have found it to be a racial hotbed. Remember, MLK was killed here. The whites don't trust the blacks, the blacks don't trust the whites, southern hospitality is lacking, and genuineness is at a all time low. the unspoken motto here seems to be, "do everything yo can to avoid doing anything, but get paid as if you do." Now keep in mind that these are generalities, and that not all folks here are like that, but about 3/4 of the community is. Memphis is part of the Bible belt buckle, with churches on every corner, and people who attend church regularly as if it was a social event, however, do not let this facade fool you into thinking that because they are church attendees, that they are above reproach. As I have stated, attending church here is a social event for the most part, and is in no way way a spiritual commitment. People will smile to your face, while they are digging the knife into your back. This is their way.
I came from a multicultural background, and have really had culture shock here due to the way individuals are judged on things other then their merit.
the bottom line is, some people love it, some people hate it. you will have to visit and make your own decisions.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:00 AM

14 posts, read 95,484 times
good luck. I have lived in Memphis all my life. I'm 36 and am moving to Tipton County. I have had enough of our local government(Hollywood Herenton, Hooks, Fords, etc, etc), the increase in crime, our ineffecient police force, our taxes, etc, etc. I could wear you out on what a half-assed, big city wannabe Memphis has become. I grew up in Raleigh, have an office in east memphis and have lived in mid-town for the past 6 years. I am looking forward to getting out. The exodus is on.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:34 PM

9 posts, read 39,402 times
Just like you are moving to Tipton county so will the crime. People are so funny in thinking they can run away from certain things in life. As far as the gover. is considered with in Memphis I do agree with you.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:39 AM

that may be true. crime is seeping into desoto county currently, but tipton county has a loooonnnnnnnnngggggg ways to go before it sees the level of crime that shelby or desoto has. If you want to think of it as "running away from certain things in life" thats fine. I CHOOSE to live in a healthier and more pleasant environment. Like Ive said, I have lived in Memphis all my life and a lot of people are "running away" from the bad elements that are infesting it.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:01 PM

50 posts, read 12,873 times
Yep that's why I left even Germantown, TN...after several several years.....I simple prefer the sunshine and beach...and smarter, broader people...

Young paramedic?....first congratulations ! second, find another city or MSA...the demand in Florida is HUGE !

Old 09-20-2006, 02:08 PM

murders in tipton county 2005: 0
murders in tipton county 2006: 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis