Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:25 PM

27 posts, read 85,777 times

Advertisements

I am moving to TN from California with my kids in August. Can anyone give me some insight on Dyersberg and/or Ripley? We need a couple of acres for horses and dogs and need a good high school for kids. City schools vs. County schools? Thank you in advance for any info you can provide!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:41 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
These towns are far, far from Memphis. There is no city vs county arguement with them. City vs County is only applicable to the Memphis metro area. Dyersburg is probably....2 hours away? It's off that I-155 section going north on I-55. I think Ripley is up there too but I'm not certain.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:33 AM

196 posts, read 692,605 times
I work with some people who drive into Bartlett everyday to work, but it is a long drive. Probably an hour and a half to two hour drive.

If you are looking for a place for horses a bit closer in you might want to try Rosemark, Lucy, Millington, or Atoka.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:46 AM

Would you rather post this on the main Tenn. forum? You might get some better answers...Memphis is so far away that I think a lot of us on here might not know about these small towns.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:38 PM

6 posts, read 35,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
These towns are far, far from Memphis. There is no city vs county arguement with them. City vs County is only applicable to the Memphis metro area. Dyersburg is probably....2 hours away? It's off that I-155 section going north on I-55. I think Ripley is up there too but I'm not certain.

Dyersburg is about an hour and a half from Memphis, 70 miles. Dyersburg and Dyer County both have separate school systems, county and city. So yes there is an argument between them. Dyersburg High School is older and dingier but the education is a lot better than Dyer County High School. DCHS is a brand new school, it's huge and very nice but it's more laid back than DHS. Ripley is about twice as small as Dyersburg and about 15 minutes south. For a lot of reasons, people from Ripley come to Dyersburg to shop, work, go to the movies, etc... Dyersburg is on the bluff so it's more hilly and Ripley is majority flat farmland. It all depends on your tastes... Oh and yes Dyersburg is on I-I55, Ripley isn't.

I don't see how people don't know their surrounding area's geography ~_~

Old 06-05-2007, 02:43 PM

Why would anyone in Memphis have to leave town to drive to the country for...anything? I guess if you had relatives that lived out in the country... to me though, anything past the immediate burbs is farm land.

I assumed since this person was posting on the Memphis forum, that she was referring to the alway popular city/county debate for Memphis, but maybe she was not. If she writes back, we can help her clarify.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:33 PM

12 posts, read 11,740 times
Phil is correct. Dyersburg/Dyer County....two high schools with Dyersburg having a superior curriculum. Dyersburg is a small city...approx 20,000.....dwindling industry.....not much in the way of shopping or eating. Most drive to Jackson for shopping or a night out (about 30 minutes away)....but it is a good place to live if you are interested in a slower pace.....Ripley (30 minutes south) is much smaller and residents drive to Dyersburg or Jackson for shopping/eating.......both are smaller communities BUT not the country as our moderator would suggest...they even wear shoes up there......maybe she should take a drive out of Memphis once in awhile.......geesh.....the world is not centered in Memphis.....

Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaDoll View Post
Phil is correct. Dyersburg/Dyer County....two high schools with Dyersburg having a superior curriculum. Dyersburg is a small city...approx 20,000.....dwindling industry.....not much in the way of shopping or eating. Most drive to Jackson for shopping or a night out (about 30 minutes away)....but it is a good place to live if you are interested in a slower pace.....Ripley (30 minutes south) is much smaller and residents drive to Dyersburg or Jackson for shopping/eating.......both are smaller communities BUT not the country as our moderator would suggest...they even wear shoes up there......maybe she should take a drive out of Memphis once in awhile.......geesh.....the world is not centered in Memphis.....
Dyersburg and Ripley are not in the country? What?? Of course they are, particularly Ripley. Memphis is a large city and the center of a metropolitan area of over a million people. Dyersburg is a small town surrounded by farms. Ripley is even smaller and surrounded by even more farms. There's nothing wrong with that. So let's call a spade a spade. Dyersburg and Ripley are most definitely "country" compared to Memphis or Nashville. People don't move to Dyersburg to be in an urban atmosphere, they move there because it's a small town in the country.

And while the world is not centered in Memphis, Memphis is definitely the center of the Mid-South, which includes West Tennessee, Eastern Arkansas, and North Mississippi. Dyersburg is definitely part of that world.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:59 PM

12 posts, read 11,740 times
Small town...in the country.....exactly my point......Memphis.....is a town (however you want to parse it).....surrounded by......well country......parse it how you will.......Dyersburg urban?....no........Ripley urban? no.......Memphis the center of the universe for Northwest Tennessee.....no.....if I want urban from Dyersburg....guess what.....it would be Nashville......

Old 06-05-2007, 07:38 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaDoll View Post
Small town...in the country.....exactly my point......Memphis.....is a town (however you want to parse it).....surrounded by......well country......parse it how you will.......Dyersburg urban?....no........Ripley urban? no.......Memphis the center of the universe for Northwest Tennessee.....no.....if I want urban from Dyersburg....guess what.....it would be Nashville......
According to mapquest, Dyersburg is 77 miles to Memphis and 172 miles to Nashville. Why do you go to Nashville instead of Memphis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis