Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I am in favor of repealing your membership on the CD forums.
And who are you. What happened with free speech.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:25 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Awesome. You're defending someone who stated that the 13th Amendment should be repealed. Do you even know what the 13th Amendment is? Just in case you don't, here it is:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Can you still own slaves in Olive Branch? Is that why you moved from Midtown? You can hide behind free speech all you want, but when your speech threatens others, it's no longer free.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:59 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,222 times
Lightbulb Strumpeace...I Tip My Hat To You

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Awesome. You're defending someone who stated that the 13th Amendment should be repealed. Do you even know what the 13th Amendment is? Just in case you don't, here it is:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Can you still own slaves in Olive Branch? Is that why you moved from Midtown? You can hide behind free speech all you want, but when your speech threatens others, it's no longer free.
First of all, thank you for posting the text about the 13th amendment...after reading it, I understood why you responded the way you did to the other poster...

Race is a very touchy subject, not only in Memphis proper, but all over the US...unfortunately, whenever folks try to discuus it in a calm, rational manner, there are those like the gentleman who discussed repealing the 13th amendment, who make it their business to make some childish, snarky, 'hey look at me---I'm being a buffoon!' type remark, and then whine incessantly when people basically tell them to have a nice tall glass of 'grow a pair and shut up with that junk', because they don't want to hear that kind of malarkey...

Secondly, to the poster who inquired 'who are you? And what happened to free speech?'...I think strumpeace very eloquently answered your questions at the end of his post---now, here's my take...he is an American citizen, with an opinion, using this forum to express his/an opinion---(GASP!) same as you did when you responded to his post...end of story

Last edited by captaincatfish; 04-08-2010 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: LOL...changed the tone of one line

Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM

165 posts, read 461,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotter View Post
I am in favor of repealing the 13th Amendment.
See this guy's rep keeps going up. Would be interesting to know who else supports bringing slavery back. Memphis, that's why you fail.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:35 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuegeye View Post
See this guy's rep keeps going up. Would be interesting to know who else supports bringing slavery back. Memphis, that's why you fail.
That's sort of a strawman argument. Anyone can rep this guy. They don't have to live Memphis. They could maliciously seek its downfall. We've seen several of them on the boards -- who have conceded their spite.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:37 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
together we can make it.
i love memphis

Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Nothing happened to it. Do you understand what freedom of speech is, who it applies to (who is prohibited from infringing on the right), how it relates to other freedoms (what right trumps other rights if they were to conflict), and how it is protected (what is the constitutional or case law basis for its relevance)?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 AM

From Findlaw: (FindLaw: U.S. Constitution: First Amendment: Annotations pg. 6 of 21)

Madison's version of the speech and press clauses, introduced in the House of Representatives on June 8, 1789, provided: ''The people shall not be deprived or abridged of their right to speak, to write, or to publish their sentiments; and the freedom of the press, as one of the great bulwarks of liberty, shall be inviolable.''1 The special committee rewrote the language to some extent, adding other provisions from Madison's draft, to make it read: ''The freedom of speech and of the press, and the right of the people peaceably to assemble and consult for their common good, and to apply to the Government for redress of grievances, shall not be infringed.''2 In this form it went to the Senate, which rewrote it to read: ''That Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and consult for their common good, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.''3 Subsequently, the religion clauses and these clauses were combined by the Senate.4 The final language was agreed upon in conference.

If this is the source of the protection you claim under the synecdoche "free speech," then nothing that has occurred from the time before the ratification of the Constitution until time Strumpeace proposed revocation of a private membership has any relevance to the discussion. Because what was proposed is not protected by the Constitution. And nothing indicates that the ratifiers intended to extend Constitutional protections to private acts when it comes to freedom of expression. Nothing happened to free speech that is relevant to Strum's proposal.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 PM

165 posts, read 461,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
That's sort of a strawman argument.
An assumption, maybe. But he/she doesn't have to say "bring back slavery" for us to know what his statement implied. And neither of us can tell where the rep points came from. You can go to any Memphis message board and see comments about "those people" who commit all the crimes and live off welfare. Haven't taken a poll but I'm sure quite a few Memphians share his/her sentiments.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:37 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
Kotter and glass_of_merlot are slavery apologists. I honestly did not know that this type of person still existed. Learn something new every day, I suppose.

There are some vile, wicked people who post on Memphis boards, but I've never seen anyone advocate for overturn of the 13th Amendment or anyone defend said advocate's right to make such a vile, wicked statement. This is a first. I haven't even seen anything like that on the CA forums, which are full of vile, wicked people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis