Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 02:18 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiepilex View Post
There's a possibility of getting shot for "being in the wrong place at the wrong time" anywhere.

I've quoted this statistic a few times, but the MPD estimates that 95% of the violent crimes commited in Memphis, the victim knew the attacker. So before you go around thinking that Memphis is a haven for random crime, think again.

Actually, the last time I can remember someone getting shot for "being in the wrong place at the wrong time" was in W. Memphis.
That is very true. And as I recall, West Memphis is also the home of those teenagers who were Satan worshippers and killed a kid a few years ago.

I've been to West Memphis many times, usually when I had large purchases to make at Wal-Mart and wanted to pay Arkansas's lower sales tax. Otherwise, I've found West Memphis to be dumpy, depressing, and pretty ugly, particularly "downtown" West Memphis. On the other hand, the view of downtown Memphis from the Arkansas side is really cool.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:06 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomartini View Post
It seems West Memphis Police Officers have a triggery finger as well. I am pretty sure if you live in AR, you will have to pay state income tax. Those who live in MS and work in Memphis have to.
That's a pretty low blow. As a cop, when someone points a gun at you, you shoot to protect yourself. When parents give their children "toy" guns to play with, they need to educate their children not to point said toy guns at police officers in the dark. It's pretty ridiculous to insinuate that WM cops purposely killed a child or were trigger happy. If I had a gun and saw someone aiming at me, I'd try to shoot first too. What else do you do, wait for some kid to kill you? Toy guns look like the real thing these days.

That whole situation has been blown way out of control and as usual, has been turned into a black and white issue.

As for the main question...agreed, WM is depressing in my eyes. It's like a truck stop that happens to have a town behind it.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:16 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acedog View Post
My family is moving to Memphis from Austin, TX suburbs. We have 2 sons, one in elementary and one in middle school. Looking for good family neighborhood with good schools, shopping, etc. Any suggestions for favorite elementary/middle schools - there are so many in Shelby Country district, it would be helpful to narrow down the choices. Thanks!
You'll want to look at Germantown and Collierville and possibly Arlington. If you are going to send your kids to public schools, Germantown, Collierville, and Houston (in Germantown) High Schools are the best bets. All of those are excellent and very safe schools and are considered among the top public schools in the nation. A previous poster mentioned they lived in Cordova, which I would not recommend. Cordova is not a good place to live. The schools serving Cordova aren't the best, and the area seems to be going downhill. Germantown and Collierville have extremely low crime. It's almost non-existent. If you are looking for wide open spaces, then I would go to Fayette County, but you will have to send your kids to private school in Memphis. Most of the good private schools are inside the Memphis city limits, with a few in Collierville. DeSoto County is an option, but you'll have to pay Mississippi income tax, though their property taxes are considerably lower. Also, DeSoto County schools aren't quite as good as the schools in Germantown and Collierville. There, I think about half of graduating students go to four-year universities. Nearly all the students coming out of the Germantown and Collierville schools go on to four-year universities, many of them ivy league. Also, there are a lot more upscale amenities in the East Memphis, Germantown, and Collierville area. You'll get the most for your money in DeSoto County, but you'll have to deal with Mississippi income tax, schools that are just decent, and typical chain stores and chain restaurants as your only retail options.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:03 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,410 times
You're right. Perhaps I should have reworded it differently. I certainly did not mean to imply the West Memphis police officer was at fault for the incident in which you referenced. I was taking a sum of several years of incidents that I have heard over the news and lumped them into my statement. Probably wasn't fair to say given light of the recent controversy. Quite honestly, I am not all that familiar with this particular incident and it really was not in my thoughts when I first responded but I do see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
That's a pretty low blow. As a cop, when someone points a gun at you, you shoot to protect yourself. When parents give their children "toy" guns to play with, they need to educate their children not to point said toy guns at police officers in the dark. It's pretty ridiculous to insinuate that WM cops purposely killed a child or were trigger happy. If I had a gun and saw someone aiming at me, I'd try to shoot first too. What else do you do, wait for some kid to kill you? Toy guns look like the real thing these days.

That whole situation has been blown way out of control and as usual, has been turned into a black and white issue.

As for the main question...agreed, WM is depressing in my eyes. It's like a truck stop that happens to have a town behind it.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:10 PM

I do agree that from what I have seen of West Memphis, and know of from people wh o live there, its not that much different from Memphis. Just smaller.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:43 PM

232 posts, read 795,748 times
I highly doubt that the officer intended on killing a 12 yr old boy and I'm sure he is very upset about it, but it is still under investigation as to whether he had a toy gun as is the entire incident. His friend that was with him says he didn't and the police say he did. I don't want to jump to too many conclusions before the investigation is over, but it's still really hard to take in.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:59 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Quote:
That is very true. And as I recall, West Memphis is also the home of those teenagers who were Satan worshippers and killed a kid a few years ago.
Those three young men have all denied being 'Satan worshippers,' and there was scant evidence to prove they were. There were three children killed, btw, in a rather horrific and grotesque fashion.

Having read 'Devil's Knot' and having seen portions of the 'Paradise Lost' documentaries, I can't even drive through West Memphis on I-40 without getting a very creepy feeling. That town is marked forever as 'not quite right' in my book.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:27 AM

The WM3 thing was bad of course, but it could have happened anywhere. From what I remember of the whole thing, it was mainly the 1 guy, and the 2 others were sort of "followers." Obviously there was something wrong with all 3 guys, but it could have happened in any town and has before.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:04 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
1) Without getting into a debate on the merits of the case, there was no physical evidence against those convicted.

2) I am not aware of a crime like this--or the 'Satanic panic' that followed--having happened anywhere else.

Anyway, again, it's a personal feeling. I find the town creepy. I'm sure the people there are wonderful, great, terrific people.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:28 AM

I know a lot of people that live in WM, and it just seems like a poor, blue collar town that for whatever reason, isn't reaping the benefits of being next door to Memphis like Collierville, Southaven, Olive Branch, Arlington, etc seem to have done. Really not sure on why that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis