Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:08 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times

Advertisements

So White Station is both an optional and a regular school? Aren't schools usually designated as totally optional or not?

Old 08-07-2007, 03:08 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
So White Station is both an optional and a regular school? Aren't schools usually designated as totally optional or not?
Yes, W.S. is both optional and regular. No, it's not a wholly optional school, because the optional schools are housed in schools that were built for the district. Grahamwood which is arguably the best of the elementary optional schools also is the district school for that area of town. Fortunately, in Grahamwood's case, the regular district portion of the school is also excellent.

Certain requirements must be met to enroll in the optional programs. One can live in the White Station district and go to White Station High School, but if they are not enrolled in the optional program in particular, then they are in the "regular" White Station. However, if a student lives in the White Station district and also meet optional program requirements, they are automatically invited to the optional program without having to be wait-listed. Here's a link to the White Station attendance zone for the regular school:

http://www.mcsk12.net/admin/communications/maps/white_station_high.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-11-2007, 10:32 PM

43 posts, read 88,095 times
I think "adlrwill" described Memphi perfectly....It has absolutely no history left in the city, because the city can't afford to pay for the upkeep on the historical homes....they are trying to rebuild the city...but over the years they have managed to tear down the places and many homes that depict the old south. East Memphis is lovely...but be very careful....the crime is already way out into the suburbs....Poeple in East Memphis tend to be of the old south....a friend described true Memphians to me as,They'll invite you to dinner and hope you don't come! Being from another state I would recommend Germantown and Collierville, too....People that have fixed up a lot homes in East Memphis have had to move out because crime is getting so bad....bums have been found to sleep on peoples' doorsteps....(TRUE!)
The schools are horrible....Shelby County schools are overcrowded, and I mean OVERCROWDED! This area has become an urban sprawl with no sense of community. There is a Baptist church (which is probably good since there are so many southern Baptists) on every corner along with Walgreens! Shopping may look great, but once you are in a store, they don't have much to choose from.....Traffic is becoming worse and worse everyday...and the last time I checked Memphis is one of the "fattest" cities, with an educational system towards the bottom of the heap, and ranked 4th in the nation for highest crime rate.....this plus we are one of the 10 cities that is the most dangerous to live in because we are on an earthquake fault (larger than the San Andreas Fault in California), we get tornadoes, summers are terribly humid as well as hot, we don't get much rain until around the first of Nov....then it is cold and damp...we usually get one bad ice storm a year, and you are completely trapped.....
So, if you don't have to move here...DON'T...I had no choice.....
If you do, don't put yourelf in a position to that your neighbors are all from here....find areas that are more transient, and you'll be much happier....and if you can find a private school with small classes....And try not to laugh too hard at the politics in Memphis...it's like a 3 ring circus....and just remember, memphians voted these people into office!
Good Luck!

Old 08-12-2007, 08:24 AM

I think it's very sad that you are so, so unhappy with your life. For the sake of your kids, try to have a better attitude about your life here in Memphis. There are lots of good things about Memphis (the fault line? who worries about stuff like that?? ever heard of san francisco?) and if you refuse to see the good with the bad, then the fault only lies on yourself. There are bad things about Memphis, but you have to learn to also see the good if you don't want to end up a bitter adult.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:48 PM

16 posts, read 88,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I think it's very sad that you are so, so unhappy with your life. For the sake of your kids, try to have a better attitude about your life here in Memphis. There are lots of good things about Memphis (the fault line? who worries about stuff like that?? ever heard of san francisco?) and if you refuse to see the good with the bad, then the fault only lies on yourself. There are bad things about Memphis, but you have to learn to also see the good if you don't want to end up a bitter adult.
In response to Pearlbob's comment, which was in response to Momgonenutzinmem's comment, I do agree with Pearlbob that you have to see the good along with the bad. The problem is that there is so much more bad than there is good. I lived in the Memphis suburbs for 5 yrs and "for the sake of my children" I honestly, 100% gave Memphis a fair chance. My kids are getting older and I wanted them to be happy and was trying to avoid a move. I wanted our move/life in the area to be a success because of what I did like about Memphis. My husband and I both had wonderful jobs. There is so much to do in Memphis and the weather is great compared to other states I have lived in. While it gets hot, it's not too hot/humid for very long in the summer and the winters aren't bad and don't last long either. I had the opposite experience of Momgonenutzinmem and made wonderful friends. I miss my Memphis friends VERY much and still stay in touch with many of them.

The negatives were just simply to numerous and by far outweighed the positives. My thoughts on the subject: If you live in Memphis and can't move or don't want to because of family, work, etc - then by all means focus on the good, because there is some good, and make the best of it. A positive attitude can and will certainly help. If it's not too late and you are only considering moving to Memphis, then PLEASE seriously consider any other options you may have or at minimum do some SERIOUS, THOROUGH research before moving to the area.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:39 PM

232 posts, read 796,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momgonenutzinmem View Post
Traffic is becoming worse and worse everyday......this plus we are one of the 10 cities that is the most dangerous to live in because we are on an earthquake fault (larger than the San Andreas Fault in California)........... we get tornadoes......... we don't get much rain until around the first of Nov....then it is cold and damp...
As for traffic, I'm assuming you come from a one horse town. The traffic is very mild compared to any city our size.

In Memphis, you have the fault line. In New York down to Miami you have the risk of a hurricane. Earthquakes in Cali. Tornadoes in the mid-west. The entire planet Earth could get pelted with meteors. The ice caps could melt and flood the planet. Blah, blah, blah, blah. Get prepared for the environmental disasters of your area.

Please tell me the last time an tornado hit within the city limits............

If you live here, then you should remember a few weeks ago it raining about everyday for 2 weeks straight.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:24 PM

Traffic is VERY easy in Memphis. Congestion is limited to about 3 main areas. Now, as for the abilities of the people behind the wheel, I question that often Memphis has some of the worst drivers I have ever seen.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:26 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
momgonenutzinmem and I must live in very different places.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:03 AM

201 posts, read 1,070,773 times
You think traffic is bad in Memphis, try living in Atlanta! Trust me...traffic in Memphis is non-existant compared to where I am now.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
Little Rock, which is 1/3 the size of Memphis, has worse traffic during morning and afternoon rush than Memphis does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis