Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 18,025 times

Advertisements

Court Ave is in the Central Gardens area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 11:31 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,332,575 times
No, all of midtown isn't great. There are some areas I'd stay away from.

The 1400 block of Court is a little iffy. That's an area in between 2 very good areas. that would probably be on Court near Cleveland, which I would steer away from.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:34 AM

I think I know what house you are talking about. That stretch of area there, for whatever reason, has not been maintained. It's like a 5 block area that time forgot about

Also right near there is a bar called Murphy's, which has outdoor bands on the weekends and is LOUD. I can hear it from my house sometimes (it took me a looong time to figure out that was where the noise was coming from...I was amazed). There are still a bunch of run down apt complexes right near there. I would maybe avoid it, unless you think it would be something you could handle.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:36 AM

Also, it is impossible to say "what areas of midtown to avoid." There are pockets of iffy places all over. one block here and there. You really have to pinpoint down an address and go look yourself. My street has homes for sale for well over $300k, yet 5 blocks away is a bit iffy. It's a whole different type of neighborhood than mine. Major streets tend to be like "tracks" as in "the other side of the tracks."

Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 18,025 times
Thanks. Because I'm not familiar with the street names, and all of the realtor websites give numerical addresses, can you give me a grid range of good hundred block splits in midtown. For example: stay in between 300/500 block east-west, and between the 2000/1000 block north-south.

Thanks again.....

Old 06-15-2007, 11:46 AM

Like I said above, it's impossible to genralize like that. I would stay away from anything in the middle of Poplar, Cleveland, Union, and maybe McLean. But, again, there might be some good pockets of homes in there. Which, there are , right west of McLean.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:34 PM

24 posts, read 61,617 times
Might want to check out this program:

http://www.best-assets.com/nextdoor.php

Old 06-23-2007, 10:57 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,763,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Like I said above, it's impossible to genralize like that. I would stay away from anything in the middle of Poplar, Cleveland, Union, and maybe McLean. But, again, there might be some good pockets of homes in there. Which, there are , right west of McLean.
I want to add my agreement to what Pearlbob has said. I lived in Central Gardens on Peabody Ave. It was paradise to me, a street lined with fantastically preserved old homes and lavishly manicured lawns. But as you venture west on Peabody towards downtown, particularly right after Peabody crosses under I-240, it becomes a crack neighborhood. Yet one block north of Peabody was Union Avenue and its fancy office buildings, hospitals, and high-rise apartment complexes.

No matter where you are in Midtown, you're never more than 3-4 blocks away from an iffy street, some of them VERY iffy. But to me, that's part of the adventure of living in the middle of a city. The benefits of living in Midtown far outweighed the negatives. You just have to learn what streets to avoid, particularly at night.

Actually, I never experienced any crime when I lived in Midtown. It wasn't until I moved to "safe" East Memphis when my house was broken into. Four times. In 18 months.

If I'm ever lucky enough to live in Memphis again, I will live in Midtown all over again. There's no other neighborhood in the entire state of Tennessee that even comes close to Midtown Memphis.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:57 PM

376 posts, read 1,774,152 times
Check out the Vollintine-Evergreen neighborhood close to Rhodes College. It's a great bohemian neighborhood with beautiful cheap homes. CBU is a 5-10 minute commute from there on the beautiful East Parkway, even during rush hour. The City of Memphis has down payment assistance programs for new home buyers. They have programs for policeman and firefighters to help with buying homes as well. The fire department is excellent and is the crown jewel of a horrible city government.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 5,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Down a Dream View Post
Court Ave is in the Central Gardens area.

Court Avenue (between McNeil and Avalon - where the 1400 block is) is not in Central Gardens. It is in the Evergreen Historic District. Central Gardens does not go North of Union Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis