U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:38 AM

165 posts, read 348,769 times
Default Memphis has more people than...............

According to Wikipedia, Memphis (669,000) has more people than...............

Baltimore (contender for Memphis for having the most murders per 100,000.)

Boston (That's a shocker. How can a show like Cheers be set in a town smaller than Memphis?)

Milwaukee (I'll have two beers in a frosty glass. Probably Milwaukee is bigger than Memphis, but finding two sober people in Wisconsin to be census takers probably was a difficult thing.)

Denver (that's surprising because this is the only city that people not from Denver or the west knows that it is Colorado. The city named itself after John Denver. Previously the city was named Deutschendorf. )

Seattle (Starbucks, and the home of the nerd who makes Windows XP)

Washington D.C. (this is where Obama lives.)

Atlanta (Atlanta is the so called Southern city success story.)

Kansas City (Memphis BBQ is better!)

Cleveland. (Columbus is bigger than Cleveland or Cinncinati.)

Old 05-22-2010, 04:53 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,306,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Boogie Woogie View Post
According to Wikipedia, Memphis (669,000) has more people than...............

Baltimore (contender for Memphis for having the most murders per 100,000.)

Boston (That's a shocker. How can a show like Cheers be set in a town smaller than Memphis?)

Milwaukee (I'll have two beers in a frosty glass. Probably Milwaukee is bigger than Memphis, but finding two sober people in Wisconsin to be census takers probably was a difficult thing.)

Denver (that's surprising because this is the only city that people not from Denver or the west knows that it is Colorado. The city named itself after John Denver. Previously the city was named Deutschendorf. )

Seattle (Starbucks, and the home of the nerd who makes Windows XP)

Washington D.C. (this is where Obama lives.)

Atlanta (Atlanta is the so called Southern city success story.)

Kansas City (Memphis BBQ is better!)

Cleveland. (Columbus is bigger than Cleveland or Cinncinati.)

Uhhh, Denver Colorado was not named after John Denver

Old 05-22-2010, 09:04 AM

3,544 posts, read 4,664,177 times
It's because Memphis has a lot more land area than most of those cities, but it also has relatively few suburbs. Most of the other cities have a smaller, but far more dense city, with lots of suburbs around it, making their metro areas way bigger than Memphis'

Old 05-22-2010, 11:31 AM

3,056 posts, read 2,207,968 times
Interesting

Like what has already been stated memphis is a large area. I wonder how many people memphis would have 60 sq miles from downtown. The same land area of boston st louis or baltimore? That would be a much better comparison.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:30 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,382,663 times
City population is not as important as METRO POPULATION.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:58 PM

872 posts, read 1,610,846 times
If I remember correctly that Memphis is projected to have a close to 800k within the city limits.

I hope A.C. Wharton is doing something to push for city-county consolidation. That'd give Memphis a population close to a million.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:25 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,068,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If I remember correctly that Memphis is projected to have a close to 800k within the city limits.

I hope A.C. Wharton is doing something to push for city-county consolidation. That'd give Memphis a population close to a million.

the city proper population is estimated to be as much as 728,000 to as small as 650,000+. the last official estimate by the u.s. census bureau, as of july 1, 2009, was 674,882. the american community survey places the city proper number at approximately 709,000+, as of july 1, 2009. they also place the shelby county population at 926,238, as of july 1, 2009. the u.s. census bureau, as of march, 2010, estimated the shelby county population at 920,202. the u.s. census bureau has stated, in its report on the official population of memphis proper, that the hispanic population has, since the 2000 census, been seriously under-counted by no less than 25 % of its total population. the bureau stated that the areas did not send the requested information in, as the bureau requested. according to the census bureau, they had no choice but to report the information they had on record, even though they knew it was incorrect.

some of the problems occurred when responses were not answered in the "designated census areas" in the metropolitan area. memphis had slightly more than 52% of the memphis proper population respond to the census forms in 2000. for the 2010 census response, the number was around 57%, supposedly, one of the worst in the nation.

i don't understand why community officials fail to address the specific populations of people who cause the problems w/undercounts. it seems to me that those causing the problems, by and large, need no incentive or encouragement to file early tax returns, but they have no care nor apparent interest in helping their community w/ federal dollars, adequate and fair representation, etc. frankly, these folk who don't are usually the ones who line up to receive all of the government giveaways. there comes a time when one should think of his community and do his civic duty. the county mayor has made such a point to say that memphis needs to be getting its "rightful slice of the pie" from the obama giveaways, but he hasn't taken the time to do community spots in the media to explain, from a black perspective, why the census is important for the community, and what proper growth numbers could mean for the majority who live in memphis proper. and even though hispanics are the new largest minority in the nation, i don't understand why they are so under represented in the u.s. now, and i don't understand who speaks for them in the memphis metro.

too, i have concern about some of the idiots that are canvassing. my census form was sent in w/in two days. over a month later, my doorbell rang. when i answered it, i was greeted by a woman who identified herself w/ the census. she asked about the next door neighbor. we told her that she was moving to another area of the city. she replied, "...can you fill this out for her?" i promptly told her that i had company and shut the door."

it seems that you never know if lakeland is counted in the city proper numbers or if all of cordova is counted in the city proper, etc. most major american cities in the top 20 are interested in knowing their numbers: not memphis. it seems the smallest sections of the population can be accounted w/out trouble, but when it comes to counting the population that can really make a difference in our community, "forget it!" i think it is good that barlett, southaven, collierville, and olive branch paid professionals to conduct and certify new counts in their cities in the last two or three years. i think it was money well spent, and the outcomes were certainly worth the taxpayer dollar used. again, memphis would have to think about it for a year or two, investigate if they could get such a thing free for three or four years, pay a consultant as much as possible, put it in committee, argue some more, put it before the full council, send it back for revisions, and then kill it because the decade was coming to an end. finally, this is one thing that can't actually be burned down or up, whichever, during the late night or early morning.

i wish we would lose the dead wood. there are so many good things in memphis that are overshadowed by "do nothing jerks!" and, if you care to know, part of this rant is over the ridiculous greediness of those who were stealing the fema money---and i was just about to get over the christmas heist by the people driving their 30-50,000 dollar vehicles to pick up christmas bags and packages for the truly needy.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,092,118 times
Note that none of the other cities mentioned have been able to annex at will the way Memphis has.

But for its aggressive annexation policy, Memphis' current population would be somewhere around 400,000 if current city boundaries matched the 1970 boundaries. Most of the other cities mentioned in the OP have had near-stationary boundaries since 1970. Memphis has found a way to fleece those who flee -- stretching its eastern boundary all the way to the Fayette county line.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:57 AM

9,018 posts, read 21,152,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Note that none of the other cities mentioned have been able to annex at will the way Memphis has.

But for its aggressive annexation policy, Memphis' current population would be somewhere around 400,000 if current city boundaries matched the 1970 boundaries. Most of the other cities mentioned in the OP have had near-stationary boundaries since 1970. Memphis has found a way to fleece those who flee -- stretching its eastern boundary all the way to the Fayette county line.
Exactly. And at some point Memphis will no longer be able to annex at will. I believe current state law says that a city cannot take up more than 1/3 of any one county, or something like that. When Memphis is no longer able to annex, that'll be the end of its "growing" population unless it can do something to get a handle on its skyrocketing property taxes and its lousy public schools.

And it's too bad, really. I adore Memphis and wish it could become the gleaming city it used to be. But I don't see it happening the way things are run there these days.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,585,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
-- stretching its eastern boundary all the way to the Fayette county line.
Actually, the city limits don't come anywhere near the Fayette county line - at least not yet. The closest it comes is around Macon Road, and it's still 6 miles away. Other areas are much further away...

Still, I do agree with your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis