Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 PM

35 posts, read 120,747 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some of the moms on here to help me out.

I'm going to need an OB/GYN or a midwife. I'll have about 3 weeks once we get to the Memphis area (we're coming from Michigan) before I'm due to have the anatomy/gender ultrasound. I want a female doctor.

I'd really love to try a water birth, in a hospital setting. I don't know if that's possible or not. What is the best hospital to give birth in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 09:41 PM

209 posts, read 807,869 times
I'm not aware of any hospitals that do water births, unfortunately. As for which hospital is best, there are two options. Baptist has a gorgeous women's wing and for a long time was the obvious "better" choice. However, Methodist just opened their brand new Women and Children's Pavilion and it's reeeally nice. I would say they're pretty much on par with each other now. They both have great staff. I delivered at Methodist (in the old building) and the whole experience was wonderful. I loved everyone who took care of us! Some insurance companies will only work with certain hospitals, so I would check with yours first. I have Cigna, which doesn't work with Baptist, so Methodist was my only option.

My OB is Dr. Lanetta Anderson. She is AMAZING and I love her!! She encouraged me to try natural birth and the Bradley Method, which is extremely unusual for OB/GYNs. Here's a link: Women's Physician Group MPLLC

Old 05-25-2010, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 9,123 times
There are only a handful of Midwives. Mine was Melissa Stallings and she only does homebirths but is open to waterbirths at home. She is lovely so you may try giving her a call. MemphisMidwife.com

I second Dr. Anderson! She was my back up doctor and was just awesome for the couple of times I saw her.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:32 AM

128 posts, read 459,523 times
I'm biased. I work at The Med so I know that Med (UT) residents/attendings rotate or take call at Baptist. I thought I saw some sick patients in NY, but Memphis really takes the cake. Methodist tends to transfer their patients to The Med. If these guys/gals can handle these sick patients, a healthy female will be easy for them.

So if you are debating between Methodist and Baptist, I would go with Baptist.

I think you said you were looking for a female obstetrician. Female OB attendings that I know off the top of my head: ?? Moses (can't remember her first name), Jan Shier, Claudette Shephard, Owen Phillips, Lynda Gioia (? -- I think Lynda is her first name but I'm not definite)

I would trust all of them.

I'm not working in OB again until Saturday and the OB attending that day is a male. So I will leave the leg work of looking up their numbers in the yellow pages and calling to you. Their offices should be able to tell you where they have privileges. You may even be able to find a contact number/privilege information on the internet, but can't guarantee it.

I don't know of any hospitals that do water births.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:05 PM

35 posts, read 120,747 times
I didn't think I'd have any luck with a water birth in a hospital setting.

Thanks, everyone. I will look into those doctors. Our insurance is changing next week, so I'll have to figure out who, what and where they cover.

Thank you again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: