U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2010, 03:56 PM

173 posts, read 79,975 times

Advertisements

some how, i have the feeling I do not know the correct spelling of bucket.

This topic may have been posted before...I went back three pages and didn't see it...someone please send me a link if there is already a thread so i can delete this one.

Things you should do in Memphis before you kick the bucket.
(and yes, current things, so ice skating at MoM is OUT.)

1. Ride the downtown river front trolley loop.
2. visit the Civil Rights museum.
3. see a broadway musical at the Orpheum (may i recommend cats or wicked?)
4. take a picture from the top of the peabody
5. and the madison
6. climb the doughboy
7. eat a huey's burger (or veggie burger. west coast is the best)
8. drive the un-intiated thru the intersection of winchester and kirby. time how long it takes them to say "What the???? is that? wait...what???" bonus points for every expliative used.
9. Attend mass at either immaculate conception in midtown OR st mary's downtown (st mary's is very very old..well, old for a memphis building)
10. meet jerry lawler. bonus points for selling his wife a bunch of clothing and bathing suit tops one size to small for her when they come in five minutes til closing . (maybe that wasn't his wife?)
11. Visit Annie Cook's grave. Imagine what the city would have been like then.
12. Get your retro soda fountain on Union Ave (wiles-smith, right?? can't quite remember)
13. Get mugged or robbed at gunpoint for less than $15.00 cash.
14. Check out the model of the first self serve grocery at the pink palace.
15. Browse A. Schwabs.
16. curse the auto check out at kroger and explain to me how we went from 14 & 15, to this stupid blamed lazer that won't skan my ben and jerry's fat ass flavor ice cream.
17. walk from Lake Itasca to new orleans in an afternoon for free. (i always step on my old apartment when we reach memphis on the mud island river walk)
18. get a sandwhich at kwik check on madison.
19. race the train along southern or poplar. beware of darwinism in action
20. explain to every.single.out of town guest how much easier it is to drive union avenue since they removed the traffic confusors.
21. give change to bums if they can entertain you. there are some guys out there with great talent who will gladly serenade you for the handful of silver in your pocket.
22. make a middle of the night run to gibson's donuts. you might get to see elvis, but at the least, you can enjoy a very tasty donut hole.
23. have a one sided conversation with a very dis interested (and possibly asleep) bison. at least i think he was a bison. bring hand sanitizor. (don't actually touch the creature, not that you'd want to anyway.)
24. attempt to tranlate ophelia into english or really any language that is comprehendable to the average mind.

that is all i can think of right now..aside from something about waiting in line for your car inspection...whatdaya got

Last edited by hex_haight; 06-02-2010 at 04:08 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:22 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,409,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hex_haight View Post
some how, i have the feeling I do not know the correct spelling of bucket.

This topic may have been posted before...I went back three pages and didn't see it...someone please send me a link if there is already a thread so i can delete this one.

Things you should do in Memphis before you kick the bucket.
(and yes, current things, so ice skating at MoM is OUT.)

1. Ride the downtown river front trolley loop.
2. visit the Civil Rights museum.
3. see a broadway musical at the Orpheum (may i recommend cats or wicked?)
4. take a picture from the top of the peabody
5. and the madison
6. climb the doughboy
7. eat a huey's burger (or veggie burger. west coast is the best)
8. drive the un-intiated thru the intersection of winchester and kirby. time how long it takes them to say "What the???? is that? wait...what???" bonus points for every expliative used.
9. Attend mass at either immaculate conception in midtown OR st mary's downtown (st mary's is very very old..well, old for a memphis building)
10. meet jerry lawler. bonus points for selling his wife a bunch of clothing and bathing suit tops one size to small for her when they come in five minutes til closing . (maybe that wasn't his wife?)
11. Visit Annie Cook's grave. Imagine what the city would have been like then.
12. Get your retro soda fountain on Union Ave (wiles-smith, right?? can't quite remember)
13. Get mugged or robbed at gunpoint for less than $15.00 cash.
14. Check out the model of the first self serve grocery at the pink palace.
15. Browse A. Schwabs.
16. curse the auto check out at kroger and explain to me how we went from 14 & 15, to this stupid blamed lazer that won't skan my ben and jerry's fat ass flavor ice cream.
17. walk from Lake Itasca to new orleans in an afternoon for free. (i always step on my old apartment when we reach memphis on the mud island river walk)
18. get a sandwhich at kwik check on madison.
19. race the train along southern or poplar. beware of darwinism in action
20. explain to every.single.out of town guest how much easier it is to drive union avenue since they removed the traffic confusors.
21. give change to bums if they can entertain you. there are some guys out there with great talent who will gladly serenade you for the handful of silver in your pocket.
22. make a middle of the night run to gibson's donuts. you might get to see elvis, but at the least, you can enjoy a very tasty donut hole.
23. have a one sided conversation with a very dis interested (and possibly asleep) bison. at least i think he was a bison. bring hand sanitizor. (don't actually touch the creature, not that you'd want to anyway.)
24. attempt to tranlate ophelia into english or really any language that is comprehendable to the average mind.

that is all i can think of right now..aside from something about waiting in line for your car inspection...whatdaya got
lol@ Racing a train down Southern Ave, just did it 30 minutes ago and won again. I get such a sense of accomplishment when doing this

Looks like you have covered alot of things to do before death. The only thing that comes to mind would be go see Al Green's Full
Gospel Tabernacle Band

Also, drive trough that trailer park on Shelby Drive where all the gypsies live

I'll post more when I think of some good ones. This should be made into a sticky thread for all newcomers

Old 06-03-2010, 01:16 AM

3,548 posts, read 4,927,893 times
Yes, go to the gypsy trailer park. All my friends call it "gypsy village" because it's down the road from Voodoo Village... you can go there too, but you'll either think it's really boring or really scary. Gypsy village is much more interesting IMO.

Mass at St. Peter's is nice. I think it's one of the oldest buildings in Memphis, older than St. Mary's, and it looks really nice too.

Go to Jerry's Snocones.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 AM

173 posts, read 79,975 times
@901 - i actually thought about putting al green's church on there, but i wasn't sure i could word it in a way that would imply i wasn't saying that a church service was a "tourist" event. and i think everyone gets that train rush...i had to weave around the other night to get on the other side of poplar and felt so pleased with my self when i finally made it to an intersection where the signals hadn't gone off yet. =)

@smtchll- i've driven thru voodoo village, i thought it was really dull except for the turtle i found crossing the road. i'll see if i can convince a few people to go with me and check out the 'gyspy' village. i dunno, it's kinda like the church thing- i don't want to word it in a way that sounds disrespectful or like some one's home is something to gawk at...definately both should be on my list tho.

i haven't been to jerry's sno cones...keep saying i'm going to go and just never get around to it.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:53 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,190,653 times
1. Ice skate at the Mall of Memphis
2. Eat a burger at a Central Park stand and live to talk about it
3. ..... Oh, CURRENT things...Nevermind.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,666,491 times
1. Play a round of golf at Overton while you still can - even if you're not a golfer. For that matter, if you are a golfer, play Crockett and Pine Hill as well.
2. Have a banana shake at Sweden Kream (National at Bayliss - just south of Jackson). I suppose they still have 'em....I can't partake any longer due to diabetes
3. Just lay on your back in the grass (or in a pool) and look up at the sky and be in awe of how beautiful the blue sky and the clouds are. Remember when you did that as a kid?
4. Have dinner at the Half Shell before the mess in the Gulf makes seafood scarce.
5. Give thanks that Memphis has one of the best medical centers in the country - maybe even in the world - so that you almost never have to go elsewhere for treatment. Maybe even donate some time or money to LeBonheur or St. Jude...kids are special. If you get a chance to tour either of those facilities, you'll gain a real appreciation for the workers who care for those children day after day....that takes a very special person...

Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
1. Play a round of golf at Overton while you still can - even if you're not a golfer. For that matter, if you are a golfer, play Crockett and Pine Hill as well.
2. Have a banana shake at Sweden Kream (National at Bayliss - just south of Jackson). I suppose they still have 'em....I can't partake any longer due to diabetes
3. Just lay on your back in the grass (or in a pool) and look up at the sky and be in awe of how beautiful the blue sky and the clouds are. Remember when you did that as a kid?
4. Have dinner at the Half Shell before the mess in the Gulf makes seafood scarce.
5. Give thanks that Memphis has one of the best medical centers in the country - maybe even in the world - so that you almost never have to go elsewhere for treatment. Maybe even donate some time or money to LeBonheur or St. Jude...kids are special. If you get a chance to tour either of those facilities, you'll gain a real appreciation for the workers who care for those children day after day....that takes a very special person...
Great ideas Joe

I have found volunterring @ St Jude and Lebonheur to be somewhat difficult. I was going to do the St Jude doggy daze thing they have, but I found out you have to pay some kook lady $700 for testing. Almost 1/2 of this money is for textbooks....Good Grief

Lebonher...I was excepted to volunteer for them after I passed all the background checks. However, you must provide proof of all your Immunization shots. Well, problem here is I have no idea who my doctor was when I was 5-6 years old to retreive my records. They did say I could be re-vacinated....Uhhh, thanks, but no thanks

Old 06-03-2010, 01:19 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,025,719 times
It's all for patient safety. It's a long process, but the volunteers who do it tend to stick around for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Great ideas Joe

I have found volunterring @ St Jude and Lebonheur to be somewhat difficult. I was going to do the St Jude doggy daze thing they have, but I found out you have to pay some kook lady $700 for testing. Almost 1/2 of this money is for textbooks....Good Grief

Lebonher...I was excepted to volunteer for them after I passed all the background checks. However, you must provide proof of all your Immunization shots. Well, problem here is I have no idea who my doctor was when I was 5-6 years old to retreive my records. They did say I could be re-vacinated....Uhhh, thanks, but no thanks

Old 06-03-2010, 01:23 PM

357 posts, read 775,117 times
Summer Drive-In Movies (if you're a kid)
Tops BBQ (at any age)
Jerry's Sno-Cones (this is the second recommendation here for Jerry's, so you know it's good. Try the Muffalata or the Philly Cheese Steak or my favorite, the Grilled Bologna sandwich)
Peabody Hotel (you need to spend at least one night there on a special occasion)
Port Restaurant on President's Island (compare their Philly Cheese Steak with Jerry's and let us know)
Owen-Brennans (cool off with a cold shrimp cocktail and a Sazarac on some very hot, rainy afternoon - it feels more like the French Quarter than actually being there)
Overton Park Golf Course (I agree with Joe on this; only you don't really have to be a golfer to play there. You'll find park vagrants who will even help spot your lost balls for you)
Skateland (well, it used to be a fun place)
Hi-Pockets Pool Hall (even if you don't play you must try the award winning burgers)
Tom Lee Park (take some binoculars and see how many names of towboats you can read, then check them out on the net)
Harahan and Frisco Railroad Bridges (just take a good look at them and marvel at how old they are - check out their history on the net too)
Ornamental Metal Museum
Memphis Brooks Museum of Art in Overton Park
The Little Tea Shop (downtown)
Univ. of Memphis basketball
Boating on the Mississippi River (just be careful)
See the Mid-South (Lake Reelfoot, Hot Springs, Pickwick, Shiloh, Oxford, Tunica, Nashville, Ozarks)
Helen's BBQ (Brownsville, IMO the Mid-South's current best and most like what I remember in by-gone decades in Memphis)
Central Station (if you happen to be downtown at around 10:00 p.m. it's interesting to watch the Amtrak City of New Orleans passenger train as it arrives and departs for Chicago)
Central Gardens, Chickasaw Gardens, Hedgemoor and Hein Park (drive around, admire the architecture and wonder why in the world they don't still build fine homes like that)
South Memphis (Stax Records - there're also good examples of early Memphis architecture left in South Memphis - it was its own town at one time)
Airport area (I just find it interesting and impressive to view all those huge aircraft you can see parked about out there)

And too many more to list..

Old 06-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
It's all for patient safety. It's a long process, but the volunteers who do it tend to stick around for years
Well, I agree as far as the Immunization goes, but getting jammed by some kook lady for $700 has nothing to do with patient safety

x 4 on Jerrys Snow Cones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis