Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:36 AM

7 posts, read 17,349 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a possible transfer to Millington next year, and I was trying to get some ducks in a row ahead of time--like where we should live. Reading and searching "best places" sites only makes me want to stay here in Norfolk, VA more...if it weren't for the fact that we seem to have similar crime problems and amounts, even though Norfolk is only about 1/5 the size of Memphis. Picture Memphis's problems concentrated in a population of 200,000+!

Anyhoo--back to the transfer. Should we have to move to the Millington/Memphis area, what areas should we avoid? I need neighborhood names, housing areas, and zip codes, because most real estate websites ask for these preferences, and I want to be able to avoid the bad areas while emphasizing the good ones. I also need this info for a possible future career as a RE investor--there seems to be an over-abundance of cheap houses there (with problems, of course--lead paint being a major one), and it may or may not prove to be a flipper's or landlord's paradise.

Any suggestions other than the previously-stated Collierville, Bartlett, etc.? Also--we eat organically, so I'd need info on chain organic stores, health food stores, etc. in these outlying areas, as well as warehouse stores (Sam's, BJ's, Costco, etc.)--not for the food, but for gas and pharmacy stuff.

P.S.--what are the gas prices looking like these days? I'm currently paying $2.72 at a Sam's Club pump in VA Beach. Regular pumps are selling for $2.85-$2.92 depending on brand.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:41 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,323,670 times
It's impossible to give specific bad neighborhood names. North Memphis, south Memphis, SE Memphis, etc are "bad." But there can be bad neighborhoods anywhere.

Gas is around $3. Given you aren't moving for a year, there's no reason to ask that question now.

Go online to those store websites and look for locations around Memphis. We have Sam's and Costcos, Walmarts, etc. A couple organic type stores are located in town. Wild Oats maybe?

Old 06-17-2007, 11:00 AM

232 posts, read 792,761 times
it is hard to give specific bad neighborhoods. i'd stay away from zips 38106, 38108, 38109, 38114, 38115, 38116, 38122, 38126, 38127, and certain parts of 38107 and 38128

I have a few friends that are organic vegans. they get most of their groceries at Wild Oats, Schnucks, and The Fresh Market.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,021 times
Memphis doesn't have really great stores at all

Kroger has slipped, even in Germantown

Schnucks should had stayed in Missouri, stoe lacks high quality

Fresh Market is a smaller chain that is a rip off,

try to find fresh fish in Memphis, it's not goind to happen, like Atlanta for instance

stay away from Millington, that place is the pits

Old 06-17-2007, 12:43 PM

232 posts, read 792,761 times
Kroger seems to be the same Kroger that it's always been. I'm not sure what's changed about it. Please elaborate.

I, personally, don't shop at Schnucks, but they have a larger organic section than Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc.

My friends moved here from Portland (one of the friendliest organic/vegan cities in America) and these are the places where they shop.

I also dont know that I'd want to eat fresh fish from Memphis (from the Mississippi??? no thanks).

Old 06-17-2007, 12:44 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,323,670 times
Grifter is on this forum in multiple accounts. He's stated this same stuff before under other names. Take heed in his opinion.

You can get fresh fish here, if you look at speciality stores, not the chain grocery stores. Of course it's not going to be as fresh as say, San Fran, but you can get the freshest possible for the middle of the country

Old 06-17-2007, 04:47 PM

201 posts, read 1,067,083 times
Wild Oats just got bought out by Whole Foods so the selection will soon widen. There are a couple of Fresh Market locations (East Memphis and Collierville/Germantown) that will also provide you with organic options.

I wouldn't advise flipping houses in Memphis right now. The market is slumped -- all over. Agreeing with previous posters that it is very hard to advise to stay away from zip codes because there are good and bad in every zip code -- including Gtown and Collierville.

I wouldn't advise living near Millington based on your needs (organics, etc.). I have two friends that are Navy and one lives in Cordova (in the part of what is slowly becomming the newest part of "East Memphis) and one lives in Midtown. I also have a naval acquaintance that lives in Oakland.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 AM

7 posts, read 17,349 times
Thumbs up Thank you for the info

Gas is around $3. Given you aren't moving for a year, there's no reason to ask that question now.

I was just wondering if TN was one of those "boutique fuel" states where the gas STARTS at around $3.50 and goes up from there.

Our possible upcoming move would be for civil service work, not military--we already endured our share of navy torture. Rumor around here is that some consolidation may be in the wind, and I like to panic by doing some forward scouting.

FWIW, nearly all navy bases are the pits--nothin' but dirty book stores, tattoo parlors, and ***** bars leading up to the gate. Norfolk's the exception, because it's right next to the port, and it's where the freeway exit ends (the navy owns all the land from the main freeway to the gate proper--no opportunity for "smut shops" to crop up).

I had a chance to look up some farmer's market stuff, and noticed co-ops out in the eastern outlaying communities of Memphis. If organic, I'd rather shop there first, since fresh, raw fruits and veggies comprise 80% of our diet.

I shall take the list of zip codes and other advice to heart, and begin searching in earnest. Thank you all for such quick and detailed responses.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,874 times
Default Your info is false

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiepilex View Post
it is hard to give specific bad neighborhoods. i'd stay away from zips 38106, 38108, 38109, 38114, 38115, 38116, 38122, 38126, 38127, and certain parts of 38107 and 38128

I have a few friends that are organic vegans. they get most of their groceries at Wild Oats, Schnucks, and The Fresh Market.
38116 is a great place, live here for 21 years

Old 06-26-2008, 09:07 AM

104 posts, read 362,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifter_artist View Post
try to find fresh fish in Memphis, it's not goind to happen, like Atlanta for instance
This depends on where you shop. I can't think of the name but the supermarket in the mall area at Kirby & Winchester has tons of fresh fish and vegetables. They cater to the Hispanic and Asian populations so the selection is skewed to those tastes (which is actually not a bad thing at all).

There's a Muslim butcher on Winchester, near Goodlet. I also cannot remember the name. If you know anything about Muslim butchers you'd know the meat is exceptionally fresh there. They have lamb fresh, which surprisingly is very hard to find in Memphis.

There's also a Jewish Kosher baqkery at Kirby & Quince. Shalom Bakery. You'll find fresh baked bread and treats, and hot kosher buffet for lunch there.

Ex-Pat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis