U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2011, 03:13 PM

6,175 posts, read 3,010,690 times
Speaking of panic attacks, I seem to be working myself into a tizzy of one. Tomorrow, I start on a series of shots to reduce pain that I'm experience through out various joints in my body starting with the shoulder. Well, I'm needle phobic, though I can get through giving blood and manage to get through other stickies, just barely, cause I liver by the motto never let them see you sweat, even if on the inside, I'm chop live sometimes. Anyway, long story short, someone mentioned to me the needle for this upcoming shot is quite long, and I can't get visions of it out of my mind, I'm starting to freak out thinking about tomorrow. Besides breathing excersizes, anyone have any suggestions before I end up in a full blown panic attack and call the whole thing off for this procedure that I direly need to improve the quality of my life. I don't often complain about the condition of my health, but I really need to try these shots, but am soooooo freaking out about the needles. Feeling like I'm about to puke thinking about this. I know I will calm down in a few, but I'll be worked up again by late evening and going to afternoon appointment.

Last edited by TRosa; 12-21-2011 at 03:34 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 09:11 AM

Ok, calm, off to the doctor in about an half an hour, would have been nice to have a word of encouragement. but That's ok, I'm a biggggg girl. Literally. Just venting before the real scare begins.

Not gonna freak, not gonna freak, not gonna freak.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:58 PM

15,920 posts, read 4,613,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Ok, calm, off to the doctor in about an half an hour, would have been nice to have a word of encouragement. but That's ok, I'm a biggggg girl. Literally. Just venting before the real scare begins.

Not gonna freak, not gonna freak, not gonna freak.
Hope all went well for you!

Old 12-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Hope all went well for you!
Appreciate your asking.

Everything ended well, I didn't look at the needle, had to ask the nurse practioner to hush on the descriptions though she kept trying to describe what was taking place. At that point, seems she was just being sadistic and taunting me. Considering I had given the NP a hard time, because seems there was a misuderstanding about the proceedure I was to receive this didn't go over well with me, I sorta get why she might have gotten some sort of sick pleasure out of ignoring my plea for her silence herself. Eventually, she stopped talking. Next time, I'll make sure to have music and headphones.

Last edited by TRosa; 12-26-2011 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 10:48 AM

3,304 posts, read 3,491,963 times
^^^relaxing music can really help get rid of anxiety

Old 01-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
^^^relaxing music can really help get rid of anxiety
Thanks for the suggestion. I guess the tunes by LMFAO wouldn't be suitable, I'll make sure to select Enya from my Mp player library when I go back in Feb.

The arm injection med is wearing off, didn't realize just how much of a difference it really made, looking forward to the next shot, only this time, I'll make sure to follow it with my physical thearapy as suggested other wise, I'll never get to the undelying cause, even then, I'm told, there may be no long term solution. Still have to decide if I'm going have the Epidural Steroid Injection proceedure. Still trying to find someone that's had this done and how it worked out for them.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:03 PM

399 posts, read 268,358 times
I'm sorry I wasn't able to read through all of the stories but I'm glad I was able to read some of them and will probably continue to do so.

I have panic attacks. Mines started a little more than a year ago when i was 19. I was meditating at the advice of a certain "guru"/lover who told me to "dance into the kingdom" in order to be spiritually enlightened. I listened . I began to do some mindfulness and to try to see just what problems and daily life pressures I was experiencing and try to release them. I'm in nursing school and I really do not enjoy the atmosphere of my university. It was too religious and too insular and I just wasn't happy there. I began to feel like I'd be stuck at this university forever, headed down a path I didn't want to head down. I hated the classroom setting, hated the fact that I was with people I didn't want to be friends with, hated that I just couldn't do all the things I wanted to do and the pressure kept building up and I just felt trapped. I was sweating, dizzy, I felt sick, I thought I was going crazy and feared being "too far gone" yet at the same time I just wanted to cut loose and be free! Just like my heart feels like it's racing and I'm struggling to breathe and I feel this fogginess in my head come on.

In the middle of the night, I go to my mom's room after trying to treat myself for what I thought was "Respiratory Acidosis" with Albuterol. I ask her to take me to the ER because I really thought I was going to die. They said it was Palpitations. I've been to the doctor numerous times and especially so when I had to do a clinical in the psych ward. Fearing I'd end up there only increased the attacks until I realized that it was about functioning and I can definitely function.

My panic attacks are so light that most people don't notice them. I feel mental fogginess and get SOB that cognitive behavioral therapy wasn't able to treat, but I'm not afraid of having another one or freak out when i do or anything. I just realize that it's something that happens and the moment I realized that an accepted it, it began to die down. I've never taken medication for it and don't ever intend to, but I'm striving to be more calm, to not allow anything (public speaking, Nursing vocation future, fear of never leaving my family's home and traveling like I want to, or remaining at a spiritual stand still) keep me back. I'm hopeful.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:42 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,468,887 times
I have panic attacks almost every day of my life. It's worse when I'm alone or stuck in a car in traffic. In fact, I can't even drive anymore and only ride in the car where there isn't likely to be traffic (no highways).

I am on Xanax and a bunch of other medications, yet I still have panic attacks. I would give anything to not have these.

I recently went to a psychologist who told me that the way my mother treated me is why I have the attacks. I don't know if I buy into that. she was my adoptive mom and my birth mom (found her 10 years ago) has panic attacks too, so I think it's hereditary.

Anyway, if anyone has a CURE I would sure like to hear it as I'm slowly losing my mind.

thank you.

***oh I've tried all the self-help books, meditation, breathing into a brown paper bag, medications****

Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
My first panic attack came when I was 19. Me and 4 other people were broken down in a dark, mountainous area, and 1 of the people started telling a story about how someone broken down and sitting in his car had been decapitated because a car had slammed into his...so of course then we stood outside the car, in the field. Then visions of Freddy and Jason and bears started going into my head, and boom...my first panic attack of sweats, dizziness and so on.
That 1 panic attacked developed into a year long panic attack. Almost every day I "developed" fast heartbeat, feeling that I was going to die any minute, quickness/shortness of breath, bouts of almost passing out...I even went for 2 kinds of heart tests because I honestly thought something was wrong (wasn't). My doctor prescribed me Xanax.
I am now 34. I get them here and there. One time I had them for a couple of days, but a bad event in my life had happened and at least I knew the reason for it. But mine sometimes come out for NO reason! Three times it happened to me while I was driving, and I thought I was going to pass out and actually had to pull over, and let me tell you how scary that was during one of the times as I had to quickly cross three lanes of traffic to pull up on the sidewalk with my two kids in the car.
Who else gets panic attacks for no reason at all?
I am the queen of panic attacks..trust me on this one. I started getting these attacks back when I was about 35 or 36. I needed to have a baseline mammogram..no big reason just that my doctor thought it would be a good starting place. I got physically sick the first time I had to have one done and continue to freak out to this day and am 64 years old. I had to have one screening done over in all this time and consider myself blessed for that but it doesn't make it much easier for me.
Next: I am also white coat hypertensive. My normal blood pressure is 110/60 and about a month ago while visiting the Cardiologist, it was 178/96..he flipped out. Now, I have been taking my pressure for about a month and have to go back so he can see where I am on a daily basis with BP..no clue what happened this one time.
Here is the kicker...as tense as I get over the mammogram appointments or seeing the Cardiologist or even my regular doctor, when I found out I had an upper thoracic aneurysm that had to be fixed and was a VERY dangerous thing to have..I had all my testing, did what I was suppose to do and the day of surgery, got up, showered, and went to the hospital much like I was having my tonsils out. I was in surgery for 9 hours...woke up the next day and wanted to walk the halls, sit in a chair..felt great..sore but great.
SO??? what gives with the Mammogram..can anyone explain this phenomenon to me??? Why does it scare me so much after all this time.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 AM

644 posts, read 642,601 times
You all should try Faster EFT. Check out this web site:
www.FasterEFT.com

Also check out the videos:
http://www.youtube.com/HealingMagic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.