Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 08:25 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,076 times

Advertisements

I have had a few people ask me about my cleanse. I was doing one, and lost some weight and inches and also my anxiety had diminished, but like I always do, I stopped it. I was feeling better, and I stopped. It is a 30 day cleanse. I went for 3 weeks and stopped. I am going to start it again after my daughters BD, as we are going out for the day to celebrate and I dont want to be restricted on my meals. On the cleanse you get 2 shakes and 1 meal per day, and then you do a 1 to 2 day fasting. I cant be passin up a crab dinner or a piece of BD cake LOL.

RH1 did anything happen to you during the quake. I didnt think England got quakes. But then what the heck do I know...lol. I live with the thought of us having The Big One all the time. It is always in the back of my mind, whenever I feel a weird shake or something. It adds to my being anxious. I am sure you feel that way now. They are scarey things.

The no sleeping can really bring on panic/anxiety. I dont know why it is one of the hardest things to do. Get a good nights sleep.

Lindsey I am really sorry for all the family troubles you are having. It isnt bad enough that your dad has passed, but now all the stuff that you have to deal with as a result of it. I know it doesnt seem like much as we are all on a message forum, but your friends in this thread are here for you to lean on when you need it. We all know how hard life can be, but then you add anxiety/panic into the mix and it can be down right horrific. So just remember we are here. As I have said many times, this thread has been a comfort to me, and I have gotten some wonderful posts from people, that mean so much to me. Any time I can return the favor, I will. BTW, I am glad you stood up to your brother, dont let anyone walk all over you or treat you with disrespect!!! You deserve much more than that. And keep up with your meds, if you feel they are working for you.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:54 AM

159 posts, read 599,867 times
What do you guys do when your anxiety manifests itself as the feeling of not being able to breathe. What I mean by that is, you feel like you are suffocating and cant get enough air, so you have to yawn, to try and "catch your breathe" and then that deep breath only lasts for about 5 seconds and you are back to feeling like you can't breathe again?

The bad thing is, when you KNOW its your anxiety thats doing it, and you manage to take your mind off of it, and a few hours pass when you suddenly think "wow, I have been able to breathe ok for the last few hours" then, voila, the feeling of not being able to breathe reappears.

I have suffered from anxiety since I was 8 yrs old when I found my grandmother dieing on the floor and I was all alone with her. I couldn't save her and she passed away.

My panic seems to comes in cycles, and I can be anxiety free for years, then a cycle will hit and I am a wreck. I have taken meds in the past, paxil, and I didnt like the side effects. When I had post partum depression I got through it with homeopathic Rescue Remedy.

Anyway, any help on ways to try to stop the feeling of not being able to breathe would be appreciated.

Mrs Handitak

Old 03-02-2008, 10:30 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handitak View Post
What do you guys do when your anxiety manifests itself as the feeling of not being able to breathe. What I mean by that is, you feel like you are suffocating and cant get enough air, so you have to yawn, to try and "catch your breathe" and then that deep breath only lasts for about 5 seconds and you are back to feeling like you can't breathe again?

The bad thing is, when you KNOW its your anxiety thats doing it, and you manage to take your mind off of it, and a few hours pass when you suddenly think "wow, I have been able to breathe ok for the last few hours" then, voila, the feeling of not being able to breathe reappears.

I have suffered from anxiety since I was 8 yrs old when I found my grandmother dieing on the floor and I was all alone with her. I couldn't save her and she passed away.

My panic seems to comes in cycles, and I can be anxiety free for years, then a cycle will hit and I am a wreck. I have taken meds in the past, paxil, and I didnt like the side effects. When I had post partum depression I got through it with homeopathic Rescue Remedy.

Anyway, any help on ways to try to stop the feeling of not being able to breathe would be appreciated.

Mrs Handitak
I tell myself that I have been through this before and I have always made it, I try to lay down and relax, I try to limit other things that upset me. I generaly choose my bedroom, which I can make completely dark and quite.

You might find Paxil easier to take if you half the perscribed dosage for about a week and then go up to the amount perscribed. I stay on that dosage for at least a month, the side effects wear off, then if your not feeling better, you can jump the dosage again.

There is one side effect I have never had wear off, it really kills the sex drive. Which frankly isn't a problem for me because I'm single.

I am currently taking 20 mgs a day and I am going to get them to bump it up to 30 mgs. I have been reading that as much as 60 mgs is required to effective treat this. I have in the past taken that much and could end up again.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Lindsey I am really sorry for all the family troubles you are having. It isnt bad enough that your dad has passed, but now all the stuff that you have to deal with as a result of it. I know it doesnt seem like much as we are all on a message forum, but your friends in this thread are here for you to lean on when you need it. We all know how hard life can be, but then you add anxiety/panic into the mix and it can be down right horrific. So just remember we are here. As I have said many times, this thread has been a comfort to me, and I have gotten some wonderful posts from people, that mean so much to me. Any time I can return the favor, I will. BTW, I am glad you stood up to your brother, dont let anyone walk all over you or treat you with disrespect!!! You deserve much more than that. And keep up with your meds, if you feel they are working for you.
The thing I can't stand about them is they are always so emotionally RAW. They are always spewing this emotional sewage and its MORE then I can stand.

My brother is the kind of person who delights in triggering panicy behavior, that way he can stand back and point out how unreasonable everyone is. Thats why I learned to hide the fact I was having an attack, why I never talked about it. He would get even MORE agressive if he sensed something like that was going on. He was the kind of person who would back you up against the wall, like he was about to attack. By the way he is 6'7 and rather large in general, intimidating to most people.

I think part of the reason I have made mistakes in looking for a mate is I was running scared, looking for someone to stand between me and him. Thats not a good place to be coming from when trying to find a mate.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I tell myself that I have been through this before and I have always made it, I try to lay down and relax, I try to limit other things that upset me. I generaly choose my bedroom, which I can make completely dark and quite.

You might find Paxil easier to take if you half the perscribed dosage for about a week and then go up to the amount perscribed. I stay on that dosage for at least a month, the side effects wear off, then if your not feeling better, you can jump the dosage again.

There is one side effect I have never had wear off, it really kills the sex drive. Which frankly isn't a problem for me because I'm single.

I am currently taking 20 mgs a day and I am going to get them to bump it up to 30 mgs. I have been reading that as much as 60 mgs is required to effective treat this. I have in the past taken that much and could end up again.
Thanks for the reply!

I have been going through the "feeling like I cant breathe" stage for over a week now, it is exhausting, mentally and phsyically!

I went and bought a relaxation CD, I will see if that helps any!

Today, I decided I am going to paint some furniture and antique it, hopefully that will take my mind off of things and let my body have a break. My chest muscles are sore from breathing so hard for a week!

What I hate about anxiety more than anything is the fact that, I believe the majority of people who suffer are the sanest, most logical, smartest people around, and it sucks eggs to KNOW what you are feeling is anxiety, but you feel almost powerless to stop it!

When my husband gets mad at me because he is sick of hearing me cry about feeling like I can't breathe and he tells me I am doing it to myself, my reply is "do you HONESTLY believe anyone would go through this if they knew how to make it go away!" I hate it when people presume you can control it, because frankly, thats the whole problem, you can't!

Old 03-02-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

I have been going through the "feeling like I cant breathe" stage for over a week now, it is exhausting, mentally and phsyically!

Today, I decided I am going to paint some furniture and antique it, hopefully that will take my mind off of things and let my body have a break. My chest muscles are sore from breathing so hard for a week!

What I hate about anxiety more than anything is the fact that, I believe the majority of people who suffer are the sanest, most logical, smartest people around, and it sucks eggs to KNOW what you are feeling is anxiety, but you feel almost powerless to stop it!

When my husband gets mad at me because he is sick of hearing me cry about feeling like I can't breathe and he tells me I am doing it to myself, my reply is "do you HONESTLY believe anyone would go through this if they knew how to make it go away!" I hate it when people presume you can control it, because frankly, thats the whole problem, you can't!
I am so sorry you have someone in your life that is NOT understanding of what you are dealing with. That must make it SO hard. Of course it probably triggers some of your anxiety. I know it does with me.

Keep coming back to this thread if you need some support. I know everyones experience is slightly different but at least we have some idea of what your dealing with.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:01 PM

My anxiety never takes the same form each time. Sometimes I feel like I cant swallow and I am going to choke, that I have a lump in my throat, others its this feeling of not being able to breathe. These symptoms are always accompanied by the feeling of impending doom, or I am going to die. Which I think is fairly common with anxiety.

The physical symptoms, whther choking or suffocating can last weeks, until one day I just snap out of it. It is a waiting game. I try telling myself that, like every other time, it will eventually pass, and go away, but when its at its peak, its horrid, and you feel like it is never going to end.

Dont get me wrong, my husband is wonderful, and very patient, just soemtimes, after hearing me go in to panic overdrive for the 50th time in a day, he loses it. Her has never had a panic attack, I wish he would (im not being mean), i just think then maybe he would get the full concept of the whole thing.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:09 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,109 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Poor you, that sounds awful. This is going to sound really silly but the first panic attack I ever had was at work and our canteen at the time gave you food in paper bags. The girl I sat next to didn't really know what to do so she jokingly gave me a paper bag and told me to breathe into it. It worked! I had started to hyperventilate and it really does work by reducing the amount of oxygen you're taking in (too much) and once that starts to dip down the dizziness goes and you start to calm down.

What had triggered it was that I was really overworked and stressed and I'd started getting slight palpitations. Every time I felt the "thump" I thought my heart was going to stop. I know now that it's a really common stress symptom and usually not harmful.

Since then if I've started "overbreathing" in an attack I make a conscious effort to slow my breathing down and keep it very shallow. Even if I feel that need to "fill" my lungs (I know I'll never get them full enough and that'll make me panic even more) I have to just tell myself that I don't need that much air and I'm not going to pass out... It's hard but it usually works for me.

Lindsey your brother sounds like a nightmare! I think I'd be moving countries or taking out a restraining order, how awful! You do have my sympathy.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Poor you, that sounds awful. This is going to sound really silly but the first panic attack I ever had was at work and our canteen at the time gave you food in paper bags. The girl I sat next to didn't really know what to do so she jokingly gave me a paper bag and told me to breathe into it. It worked! I had started to hyperventilate and it really does work by reducing the amount of oxygen you're taking in (too much) and once that starts to dip down the dizziness goes and you start to calm down.

What had triggered it was that I was really overworked and stressed and I'd started getting slight palpitations. Every time I felt the "thump" I thought my heart was going to stop. I know now that it's a really common stress symptom and usually not harmful.

Since then if I've started "overbreathing" in an attack I make a conscious effort to slow my breathing down and keep it very shallow. Even if I feel that need to "fill" my lungs (I know I'll never get them full enough and that'll make me panic even more) I have to just tell myself that I don't need that much air and I'm not going to pass out... It's hard but it usually works for me.

Lindsey your brother sounds like a nightmare! I think I'd be moving countries or taking out a restraining order, how awful! You do have my sympathy.

While my Father was alive, he did have some control over the situation but when he passed away, my brother got completely out of control. I am just so thankful to be living here in Florida and he is in Texas.

My concern now is he has forced my Mother to give him my phone number, I don't want to have to change my number but just the thought he can call me at all is enough to freak me out. Nevermind actually seeing his number on caller ID or him leaving a message. He actually went to my Mothers and called me from there so I would think it was her calling.

I have no way of fixing it so my Mother can call and my brother can't. I did send him a threatening email, telling him that if he called my house again I would report him for harassing phone calls.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:37 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
While my Father was alive, he did have some control over the situation but when he passed away, my brother got completely out of control. I am just so thankful to be living here in Florida and he is in Texas.

My concern now is he has forced my Mother to give him my phone number, I don't want to have to change my number but just the thought he can call me at all is enough to freak me out. Nevermind actually seeing his number on caller ID or him leaving a message. He actually went to my Mothers and called me from there so I would think it was her calling.

I have no way of fixing it so my Mother can call and my brother can't. I did send him a threatening email, telling him that if he called my house again I would report him for harassing phone calls.
That's dreadful. He sounds like he needs help!

Could you perhaps come to some arrangement with your mother whereby for example she rings once and lets it ring out twice, then hangs up and rings again so that you know it's her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health