Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 11:02 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,350,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by handitak View Post
I have a question for folks. Mainly the women, I think, you will see why in a minute.

Anyway, I am an artist, I paint mostly, but have been branching out making fine art dolls etc. I saw something online the other day, it was a damn it doll, that you smash against the wall when you are mad. Anyway, it got me thinking, what about a panic doll, a cross between a damn it doll and a stress ball. Good idea? not a good idea?

Something tangible and real to touch when you are having an anxiety attack?

Ok, dumb idea, but hey, I thought I would put it out there and see the feed back -- he he
Sounds cool but I have always wanted a voodoo doll, assuming it really worked.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,277,873 times
Quote:
I have a question for folks. Mainly the women, I think, you will see why in a minute.

Anyway, I am an artist, I paint mostly, but have been branching out making fine art dolls etc. I saw something online the other day, it was a damn it doll, that you smash against the wall when you are mad. Anyway, it got me thinking, what about a panic doll, a cross between a damn it doll and a stress ball. Good idea? not a good idea?

Ok, dumb idea, but hey, I thought I would put it out there and see the feed back -- he he
I think it's a good idea...Stress balls were big for awhile..I even have one somewhere,Remember pet rocks,who would ever think something like that would fly? Someone bought a corn flake off ebay for $1350 because it was shaped like illinios.I read that yesterday on msn or aol.If they are cute or even ugly cute,people would buy them I'm sure.I seen some of your work,doesn't hurt to mess around with a couple proto-types and get opinions.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:16 PM

Can you make it look like my brother? I would be alot more likely to slam its head against a wall.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:34 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,940,259 times
Quote:

Lmao!! I would love to get a doll like that. But it does have to come with a place for us to put a "face" of the person that is causing us a lot of anxiety!!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,102,960 times
Quote:

Handitak, I think it would be a great idea. We would all do a lot better in an state of anxiety or panic if we could put our energy and thoughts on something tangible.

The worst thing about panic attacks is that we usually can't pinpoint what is wrong! So frustrating and frightening. If we could transfer that to a doll, let the doll have the anxiety and panic or let it be the cause of it. Either way, it would relieve us of the burden of carrying it alone!

If you consider a little child who can't go to bed without his blankey, we, too, could use a blankey for a little security, so that we can do what we have to do. We certainly can't carry a blankey through the mall with us, but we could have a little rubby doll in our purse to give us either that comfort to relax a bit or as a receptor for our anxiety.

I say - go for it!! I'll be in line.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:03 PM

I guess my cats are my security blanket. I took a nap today and I had all three of them in bed with me. They were all sucking up the heat from the heating blanket and in total heaven. They were ONE huge mass of PURRING.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 PM

517 posts, read 2,479,871 times
I started having panic attacks when I was 7 years old. I went to various doctors, therapists, etc. I tried different medications, meditation, relaxation techniques. Finally, I worked with a behavioral therapist for about 2 years. I stopped seeing my therapist about 4 yrs ago (a mutually agreed upon milestone) but I keep her number in case I ever feel the need to revisit her. Currently I try to keep my stress levels down through exercise and relaxation. With the exception of airline flights (which I treat with Xanax), I have been panic-attack-free for the last 6 years. Just keep trying different methods until you find what works for you. Best wishes to all.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
I started having panic attacks when I was 7 years old. I went to various doctors, therapists, etc. I tried different medications, meditation, relaxation techniques. Finally, I worked with a behavioral therapist for about 2 years. I stopped seeing my therapist about 4 yrs ago (a mutually agreed upon milestone) but I keep her number in case I ever feel the need to revisit her. Currently I try to keep my stress levels down through exercise and relaxation. With the exception of airline flights (which I treat with Xanax), I have been panic-attack-free for the last 6 years. Just keep trying different methods until you find what works for you. Best wishes to all.
I am curious for anyone writing in this thread if you have been able to trace your tendency for panic attacks and suffering from anxiety to a cause. Such as do they run in your family or like me did you have a very stressful childhood?

For some reason I feel the drive to understand why. I imagine its a combination for me. I do know I have been dealing with this for many years, maybe as young as you mention. From a very young age I knew I was adopted and I feared they would come back and take me away, I remember going through a stage very young, running whenever the doorbell rings.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 PM

517 posts, read 2,479,871 times
I had a family history of anxiety and depression. I also had some stressors that precipitated the first attack (physical illness, and the death of a family member).

Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 PM

Interesting, I know that depression and anxiety are factors in my biological family as well. My adopted family was like a battle ground. I was always waiting for a bomb to go off.

I started a new thread about nightmares. I suspect they are related to my anxiety, check it out and tell us about your nightmares if your having them as well.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...ml#post3242302
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health