Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 02:20 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times

Advertisements

i would be leary of any drug that changes the chemistry of the brain such as anti-depresents (happy pills). maybe that's just the easy way out. no offense to anyone but i wonder if one exercised (such as running on a treadmill) for 15-20 minutes every day, increased their water consumption, quit drinking alcohol/smoking, and made sure they got a minimum of 7 hours a night, if that would change things for the better...

a lot of the drugs that are "legal" are worse than illegal drugs. it's a major problem with today's youth (teens getting their hands on mommy's pills). drugs like aderall (sp?) and oxycontin are much worse than a lot of so-called "street drugs." just be careful, that's all.

we, as human beings, haven't had these pills for thousands of years and we managed to find ways to cope. there has to be other solutions. i especially fear for our society 30-40 years from now when we see the results of so many millions of childrens being diagnosed with some BS disorder and given "legal" mind altering drugs. There's a saying, there's two types of people in this world. Those who have been diagnosed, and those who have yet to be diagnosed. if you look hard enough, you can find what you are looking for. there has to be a better way.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:45 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I am now seeing a therapist to address my problems with Anxiety and Panic attacks. She believes I also suffer from PTSD which I had already suspected.

I feel pretty good but there are times when something happens or goes wrong that I have a really hard time dealing with it. Today was one of those kinds of days. I just have to get busy doing something else to take my mind off of it. The underlying problem that has upset me today is nothing I can really change, only learn to ignore.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:13 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times
I'm sorry you've been having a rough time Lindsey,I hope your therapist is able to help you.
I haven't posted on this thread in awhile I hope everyone else is doing well.

I don't want to jinx myself but lately I have been doing pretty well. Everytime I feel a panic attack coming on I've been able to talk myself down by telling myself I have nothing to fear and I'm only feeling this way because of my fear of having a panic attack and If I do have one I'll be ok because I can handle it.
With that train of thought and actually BELIEVING it has made my attacks that much more managable. So far so good.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:40 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I haven't been able to post because my computer is broken. I am at a friends house.

I have been taking medication, 30mgs of Paxil but I can tell its time to get a higher dosage. The noise at Walmart is almost more then I can stand and being in there for only like 20 minutes makes me so nervous I can barely stand to be there, I sweat until my whole body is covered. Today I had to ask my daughter to stop talking because the chaos of the background was almots too much.

We have had a hurricane hit our area but I was pretty OK with that. We do however have another one heading our way. I hope that one doesn't have high winds. Hurricane Fay hit us with more water then anything else but we didn't get flooded.

I hope all is well with you guys.
I had a doctor tell me the panic attacks I ahd were the esult of 'fight or flight' and I got stuck in it when I went into menopause. I was literally a prisoner of my own house for five years. Noise did not bother me, but if I went into a store and could not see a door or window I got out.

It is a horrible experience. It will not kill you, but you might think it will. Sometimes confronting the situation frequently for short periods of time helps to de-sensitize you to it.

I could not take the pills. I was very glad to see the kotex and panic attacks disappear the same time.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:21 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Sure, these drugs may not be for everyone, but that does not mean they are not for anyone.

Sometimes people do all the 'right' things that will supposedly make anxiety or depression a thing of the past - yet they are still overcome by them. I'm not talking about the normal, situational stress that we all get depending on circumstances, but rather chronic, and debilitating syndromes. There can be a very real, physical cause that may be addressed by medicine. You could live the most perfect life, yet still suffer because you have a physical cause that needs treatment. Sometimes, it's not 'just all in your head'.

If you are worried about it, it couldn't hurt to get a second opinion. As you see in this thread, it affects each person differently.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:44 AM

327 posts, read 968,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
i would be leary of any drug that changes the chemistry of the brain such as anti-depresents (happy pills). maybe that's just the easy way out. no offense to anyone but i wonder if one exercised (such as running on a treadmill) for 15-20 minutes every day, increased their water consumption, quit drinking alcohol/smoking, and made sure they got a minimum of 7 hours a night, if that would change things for the better...

a lot of the drugs that are "legal" are worse than illegal drugs. it's a major problem with today's youth (teens getting their hands on mommy's pills). drugs like aderall (sp?) and oxycontin are much worse than a lot of so-called "street drugs." just be careful, that's all.

we, as human beings, haven't had these pills for thousands of years and we managed to find ways to cope. there has to be other solutions. i especially fear for our society 30-40 years from now when we see the results of so many millions of childrens being diagnosed with some BS disorder and given "legal" mind altering drugs. There's a saying, there's two types of people in this world. Those who have been diagnosed, and those who have yet to be diagnosed. if you look hard enough, you can find what you are looking for. there has to be a better way.
Would love for you to walk a mile in my shoes caring for elderly parents as a sole caregiver, dealing with nursing homes, social workers, doctors, hospitals, attorneys, health problems, financial problems, elder abuse, mountains of paperwork, and the list goes on and on AND get up and go to work every day on top of my "volunteer" work! As I posted earlier, Paxil has made it possible for me to function. P.S. I walk daily, do not smoke or drink, and get adequate sleep.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:03 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
These drugs are not candy. Use only as a last resort (ie if your life is at stake). Ativan almost killed me. Depressed central nervous system caused severe chronic fatigue. Have you ever seen people on these drugs? Both my cousins are on something and they're like walking zombies. 5-HTP. B vitamins, passionflower are some natural remedies. Seek out a holistic physican or naturopath.

PS Look on the bright side. You're lucky to have a job. A lot of people will be losing theirs.

Last edited by geos; 09-26-2008 at 10:20 AM..

Old 09-27-2008, 07:55 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
Also eliminate caffeine, sugar and junk food which stimulate adrenaline production.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,100 times
I have tried Lexapro and Paxil and did not have side effects (other than some weight gain) but I weaned myself off because I would rather not medicate myself. I am a massage therapist and honestly the best way to reduce stress is get a regular massage. It truely does wonders for your outlook and lowers your stress levels (as well as blood pressure). Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 09-27-2008 at 09:03 PM..

Old 09-27-2008, 08:28 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
I really like St. John's Wort, Valerian at night, exercise, filtered water (lots), organic food as much as possible, yoga and getting sunlight. That works great for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health