Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
I'm supposed to have a new MRI today (ordered by my spinal doctor - a closed MRI with dye injected into me via an IV) because I've likely re-herniated my disc (Herniated/Bulging Disc - Surgery, Pain Management, Other Treatment Options?) but I just can't face it so I rescheduled for later in the week. After the spinal surgery debacle and the anaesthesia nightmare I'm now really terrified of the IV. I will go to my appointment later this week though because I know I have to do it. I just can't today.

My husband has been amazing these past three years helping me get through all my different health nightmares but I fear he's losing patience with the panic disorder. When I balk at the idea of going out he sometimes gets mad - I know though that it's more from concern and fear that I'm going to psych myself out and permanently become a shut-in than it is him being sick of it all and angry.

Right now I'm just trying to hang on and endure this storm. Eventually this is going to pass and I just have to try to cope the best I can until things turn around.
Sorry but with that back pain thread being merged it's harder to go back and skim to find out who posted what..

No reason to fear an IV. If you don't think you can do it, call your doctor and tell them you can't. Usually they use the dye when you have rods/hardware in your back, if you're that afraid they should be able to do it without. If it turns out they do need dye then go back.

I have to make an appointment and won't go in a closed MRI. Never used to bother me but it does now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very hard being married and being in pain. My marriage almost went out the window a few times, it started around 3 years after. I guess they start freaking that it's looking more permanent and that they are now stuck with you. You're no fun and are constantly in pain.

My hubby is home for 6 weeks (on week 3) due to an operation & I'm ready to shoot myself. I'm doing the best I can to pull up my big girl panties and make like I'm not in much pain but it's hard and I'm not a very good actress.

Thankfully I'm not depressed but don't ask me how I'm not. Sure I have times when I get a little blue but I don't think it's any more then other healthy people..

Old 01-28-2009, 09:28 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,757 times
my axiety attacks give me heart palpitations(i found out last night in the ER) i was prescribed valium

Old 01-29-2009, 08:53 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,433 times
Quote:
my axiety attacks give me heart palpitations
When my panic attacks were at their worst I got those also.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:56 AM

643 posts, read 1,393,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree View Post
When my panic attacks were at their worst I got those also.
scares the hell outta me

Old 01-29-2009, 10:20 AM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,972 times
I too suffered from PTSD and Panic Attacks. It was awful. But with good counseling and using natural remedies (I refused to use drugs, though I have friends that use them and they are a blessing, so I'm not against drugs, I just chose to conquer my battle with other means) I am now a crisis counselor, so I've come a long way. I say that to offer ya hope, it is a hard battle, but it is one that most people can win, if you fight hard enough.

Take it one step at a time. If you are afraid to go outside, start by opening the door and just standing in the open doorway. Then, stand out on your porch, just a few feet from the door. Baby steps really do work for many people. Also, there are a lot of great books you can use.

Panic attacks are awful and double those with PTSD (which is a common cause of Panic attacks) and you are in for some rough seas. Just remember that the panic attack won't kill ya, you just have to ride out the wave.

It will get better. If anyone wants more advice, just post here or DM me. I'm praying for y'all.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:03 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,138,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
my axiety attacks give me heart palpitatiogns(i found out last night in the ER) i was prescribed valium
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
scares the hell outta me
This was my case, also. Luckily I was at my Dr.'s office when I had a panic attack about 2 years ago. He had me put 1/4 mg. of Ativan under my tongue, and within 2 -5 minutes I had a normal pulse and BP reading.

Since then he has regulated my BP meds, and I am on 60 mg of Cymbalta. I carry my Atavan with me in case of an anxiety attack. Luckily (knock on wood) I rarely get one any more. I am able to drive around with my DH finally, without putting my foot on the dash, or holding on to the handle on the hand bar. LOL!! I also feel better driving in town, but still try to avoid the Freeways as much as possible.

Anxiety attacks are horrible, and I feel for any one who has to experience them. They are debilitating and frightening, and can make one feel they are loosing their mind, or dying, or both. I hope and pray that those of you suffering from them, please get the help you need from your medical Doctor. There should be no reason why any one should have to live with this disorder. It is reassuring knowing that there are others like us, and we have a safe place to discuss our disorder with others, here in CD. Good luck to you all, and my prayers are with you.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:09 PM

659 posts, read 899,081 times
I'm full of phobias. The intensity of each comes and goes. The worst ones I've had have been:
Claustrophobia
Emetophobia (fear of vomit/vomiting)
Heights
Crowds
Public speaking
And most recently, and probably the worst, driving in bad weather and/or on highways, and sometimes driving in general.

Every time one phobia gets better another seems to take over.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:28 PM

659 posts, read 899,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Anyone experienced a panic attack as a direct result from a bad hangover or alcohol usuage?

It's happened to me a couple times. Just had to lay off the sauce a bit... =)
I abused it for a few years trying to self medicate. It worked while I was drinking but the next day, if I had too much the night before, it would intensify my anxiety really bad.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowing Mindspin View Post
I abused it for a few years trying to self medicate. It worked while I was drinking but the next day, if I had too much the night before, it would intensify my anxiety really bad.
I think some people's long term abuse of alcohol is what ends up triggering these panic attacks. Everyone is different, however.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:05 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
as if anxiety attacks weren't enough, I now have developed a fear of driving over bridges. But not any bridge-only ones on a freeway/interstate. Very odd. Scary though as I feel as though I'm going to faint while driving over one,my body goes numb,my heart races like crazy. Came on all of a sudden while I was driving on a trip and it continues anytime I cross an interstate bridge or high rise area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowing Mindspin View Post
I'm full of phobias. The intensity of each comes and goes. The worst ones I've had have been:
Claustrophobia
Emetophobia (fear of vomit/vomiting)
Heights
Crowds
Public speaking
And most recently, and probably the worst, driving in bad weather and/or on highways, and sometimes driving in general.

Every time one phobia gets better another seems to take over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health