Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Treatment is really simple, but it sucks. Panic attacks make you want to flee the situation. Fleeing makes you feel better immediately, but it makes the anxiety worse. You have to practice going into the situation that triggers the anxiety and refusing to leave, lonmger and longer until the anxiety cannot get to you anymore. You have to practice thinking that it's just anxiety and can't hurt you. (People who get panic attacks are usually convinced that they are going to die, faint, go insane, crap their pants, or something else unbearable. Telling yourself this is, to say the least, not the best way to lower your anxiety.)

If a doctor offers you tranquilizers like Xanax, Valium, Librium, etc, RUN AWAY. They make you feel better for a short time and then your nervous system snaps like a rubber band, so you are far more anxious than before you took the wretched stuff. This is not helpful to teach a person how to manage their anxiety safely. It is addictive as crap, too.
I wish you would be MORE careful in the advice you give.

For example, fleeing what jump starts the panic attack doesn't necessarily make you feel better immediatly, that is part and parcel of the problem.

Just where do you get your source of knowledge. I assume from what you say you are NOT a doctor?

Old 05-02-2009, 09:11 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Default Colloidal Silver has multi uses

* Sorry. I thought this was a thread the moderator would see. I wanted to get a thread I'd started which I thought was extremely helpful and backed up with scientific studies I linked to, reactivated.

Since this is a panic disorder thread, I can offer that besides doing what others have said in cleaning up your lifestyle and getting good sleep and eating good foods (not stimulants); Relora is a great herbal supplement that calms your nerves but does not make you drowsy. It that helps you focus and be the best you can be. For brain chatter, the amino acid Theonine is supposed to be good.

Last edited by emilybh; 05-02-2009 at 09:26 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
* Sorry. I thought this was a thread the moderator would see. I wanted to get a thread I'd started which I thought was extremely helpful and backed up with scientific studies I linked to, reactivated.

Since this is a panic disorder thread, I can offer that besides doing what others have said in cleaning up your lifestyle and getting good sleep and eating good foods (not stimulants); Relora is a great herbal supplement that calms your nerves but does not make you drowsy. It that helps you focus and be the best you can be. For brain chatter, the amino acid Theonine is supposed to be good.
Brain chatter, thats an interesting way of putting it because thats what it feels like sometimes.

Have you ever asked a person "what are you thinking?" and they say "nothing." I always have a hard time believing that because my mind is always going, going, going. Even in my sleep I am having dreams that often reflect my daytime anxieties.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
I have a real problem with anxiety and excess worry. The worrying is the biggest concern -- it seems to have got worse over the years and to put it bluntly, it's got to the stage where it is actually ruining my life and preventing me from moving forward. I worry endlessly about everything....I worry that my wife is going to become seriously ill, that I'll lose my job, or that someone I love will be involved in a car accident. It is very draining and very debilitating.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:11 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
For real-I've been there and done that. I lived that way far too long. I say that because in the long run-what good did it do me? The answer is none. In fact it was detrimental to my health.
What I had to do was learn to pick my worry battles.
Worry is a part of life, for sure. But excess,like I had, was out of control.
It took some time to overcome but it can be done. I just had to learn to have faith that whatever will be,will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I have a real problem with anxiety and excess worry. The worrying is the biggest concern -- it seems to have got worse over the years and to put it bluntly, it's got to the stage where it is actually ruining my life and preventing me from moving forward. I worry endlessly about everything....I worry that my wife is going to become seriously ill, that I'll lose my job, or that someone I love will be involved in a car accident. It is very draining and very debilitating.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
For real-I've been there and done that. I lived that way far too long. I say that because in the long run-what good did it do me? The answer is none. In fact it was detrimental to my health.
What I had to do was learn to pick my worry battles.
Worry is a part of life, for sure. But excess,like I had, was out of control.
It took some time to overcome but it can be done. I just had to learn to have faith that whatever will be,will be.
How did you do that? How did you manage to switch it off?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 PM

it took some time, but was something I worked on and made it a goal to do. Because my health was suffering,as was my mental health.
I would just begin to click off the worry attacks by telling myself there was no need to worry if I had no control over the situation.
I guess some people are sort of control freaks and maybe I'm one of them; so when things are going on that make me feel out of control, it would make me panic or worry. I had to surrender to the fact that I can not control everything.
I do take xanax for my anxiety but I don't think that helped the worrying too much because I still had to conquer that even after the med got my anxiety under control.
I did and still do read books on spiritual well being. Maybe that helped.
If you think about it and reason it through, you'll see that the worrying is doing NO good at all.

edit: I went back and read your original post. You have to reason with yourself that worrying that your wife or anyone will get ill or die is not going to prevent it from happening. AND they may as well be seriously ill or worse IF you're going to go on living as if it's already happened. Or worrying about losing your job-what if you don't? All that worrying was for nothing.
Or what if you DO lose your job? You deal with it when and only when it happens.
When I was a worry wart I would get frantic with worry when my kids were teens and out driving. Spent toooooooooooooo much time worrying that something would happen. Those were times I could have been enjoying myself or doing something productive. They didn't get into any accidents, thank goodness. So worrying was such a waste of my time and life.
But what if they had gotten into an accident? I would have handled the situation whether I had been worrying or not.
See?
Quote:
How did you do that? How did you manage to switch it off?

Last edited by Élan vital; 05-04-2009 at 08:23 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
it took some time, but was something I worked on and made it a goal to do. Because my health was suffering,as was my mental health.
I would just begin to click off the worry attacks by telling myself there was no need to worry if I had no control over the situation.
I guess some people are sort of control freaks and maybe I'm one of them; so when things are going on that make me feel out of control, it would make me panic or worry. I had to surrender to the fact that I can not control everything.
I do take xanax for my anxiety but I don't think that helped the worrying too much because I still had to conquer that even after the med got my anxiety under control.
I did and still do read books on spiritual well being. Maybe that helped.
If you think about it and reason it through, you'll see that the worrying is doing NO good at all.

edit: I went back and read your original post. You have to reason with yourself that worrying that your wife or anyone will get ill or die is not going to prevent it from happening. AND they may as well be seriously ill or worse IF you're going to go on living as if it's already happened. Or worrying about losing your job-what if you don't? All that worrying was for nothing.
Or what if you DO lose your job? You deal with it when and only when it happens.
When I was a worry wart I would get frantic with worry when my kids were teens and out driving. Spent toooooooooooooo much time worrying that something would happen. Those were times I could have been enjoying myself or doing something productive. They didn't get into any accidents, thank goodness. So worrying was such a waste of my time and life.
But what if they had gotten into an accident? I would have handled the situation whether I had been worrying or not.
See?
DreamWeavin...

Thank you for your advice....I've been trying to deal with these "demons" for many years, but their voices seem to have grown louder and louder. Deep down, I don't want to control anything, but I am constantly overwhelmed by fear of what might happen. Put it this way, the slightest thing sets me off and it's simply nuts. There is no way that I can rationalize this and it's gone far beyond simply being a "worrier".

Honestly, if I were alone, it'd be easier to live with. I don't worry about myself...I am not afraid of death, or anything else that might happen to me.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:35 PM

If you feel like things have swirled too out of control, why not speak with a doctor? Think about the things I've said though and see if you can work on a way to get a handle on things.
I found this for you to read:
Ten Spiritual Tonics 1. Stop worrying. Worry kills life. 2. Begin each day with a prayer. It will arm your soul. 3. Control appetite. Over-indulgence clogs body and mind. 4. Accept your limitations . . . 5. Don't envy. It wastes time and energy. 6. Have faith in people. Cynicism sours the disposition. 7. Find a hobby. It will relax your nerves. 8. Read a book a week to stimulate imagination and broaden your views. 9. Spend some time alone for the peace of solitude and silence. 10. Try to want what you have, instead of spending your strength trying to get what you want.

Abraham L. Feinberg

Quote:
DreamWeavin...

Thank you for your advice....I've been trying to deal with these "demons" for many years, but their voices seem to have grown louder and louder. Deep down, I don't want to control anything, but I am constantly overwhelmed by fear of what might happen. Put it this way, the slightest thing sets me off and it's simply nuts. There is no way that I can rationalize this and it's gone far beyond simply being a "worrier".

Honestly, if I were alone, it'd be easier to live with. I don't worry about myself...I am not afraid of death, or anything else that might happen to me.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:04 AM

I used to read books like you can't imagine. Then the anxiety became a problem, I had to stop reading certain kinds of books like murder mysteries that made the anxiety worse. I am at a point now that while day to day I feel better, I still don't seem to have the attention span it takes to read a book. I have read some short story books but thats about all.

Its like I have ADD when I try to read a book. I can't keep my mind on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health