Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 03:03 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Ugh, I am having a stupid a** panic attack, a big one, it is taking all i have to be able to type this, sorry i didnt read anyones posts prior to thise one...i will when i calm down, i cant really concentrate on what anyone has written, and everyone deserves my full attention on what they write. I swear I cant calm my breathing down........this sucks so bad, and i really feel scared.. I hate these things...atleast typing helps somewhat..god i wish i make them go away forever
Oh what a shame, you seemed to be doing ever so well. I agree with everything Lindsey said. How is your husband being about the whole thing now? Do you feel like you can go to him any better since when you both saw the emergency doctor together? I'm sure you will get better with time, it's just really disappointing when you have setbacks like that. It's all part of the recovery process though, try not to lose hope. Hugs.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:08 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokomo View Post
not able to drive on the highway and wanting to get out of my vehicle at the stop lights on my way to work,
Hiya - funny that you said that about traffic lights - I had EXACTLY the same thing when I was at my worst, and also the same as one of the posts before about roads with no hard shoulder where you can't get off, and turning left (OK here it's turning right!!). The only way I could conquer those situations was by distracting myself like crazy until I stopped associating those particular lights with panic, so I'd recite poems from memory, try to remember words to songs, read out the number plates of other cars over and over again, anything I could to keep my mind occupied. I'm fine driving now but for a bit there I thought I was going to end up off sick from work because I just couldn't get there. Scary stuff isn't it?

Old 01-11-2008, 05:32 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
During this cycle I am going through now, I have tried to stop taking the medication (Paxil) but the panic comes back. Frankly I don't think I am going to stop them again, I just can't take it. Yes there are side effects but frankly the side effects are nothing compared to how I feel without it.
I think about how in some mental health disorders the patient gets to feeling better on the meds and stops taking them because of an incorrect idea that they are all better and don't need them anymore. For now I know I need them.

I too yell to cover my anxiety. Its not fair to put my daughter through this. The smallest thing can go wrong and I loose my patience. I feel like all the things that are going wrong are closing in on me.

I have heard of doctors mixing two types of anti-depressants, I am glad they can do this to find what works for you. I feel fortunate that Paxil works as well as it does for me. There seems to be a family thing with that, my uncle AND his daughter also take Paxil and have great results with it.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:20 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,006 times
Thank you guys for your comments and well wishes. I am a little better today. Things with the hubby arent that great again...sigh. He is a workaholic and runs 100 miles an hour, and just cant deal with me. I come way after all his businesses, and by the time he comes to me, he is always pissed off, and that seems to be what I get. He got mad at me last night for having an attack. He was doing so well after we went to the Dr. and now it is going back to how it was before. So I try to stay away from him. He is a huge trigger for my anxiety, when he gets like this. Financially I cant leave, but things are changing in that way, so I hope at some point this year I will be able to. I hate being yelled at by him. I thought he finally understood...oh well.

I know how you guys feel with the anger thing. I find myself getting angry or having a short temper when my anxiety flairs up. It is like I want to lash out at someone and have them feel as bad as I do. Which is a sucky thing, but it happends.

I still really like the Cymbalta that I am taking. It has made a big difference. I might need the Dr. to up the dosage a bit, and maybe it will stop the panic attacks from creeping back in.

Like always, I wish everyone well!!! One day may we all find peace from this awful disorder. Those of you who have, I am so happy for you.

Suzette

Old 01-11-2008, 07:36 PM

89 posts, read 148,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Hiya - funny that you said that about traffic lights - I had EXACTLY the same thing when I was at my worst, and also the same as one of the posts before about roads with no hard shoulder where you can't get off, and turning left (OK here it's turning right!!). The only way I could conquer those situations was by distracting myself like crazy until I stopped associating those particular lights with panic, so I'd recite poems from memory, try to remember words to songs, read out the number plates of other cars over and over again, anything I could to keep my mind occupied. I'm fine driving now but for a bit there I thought I was going to end up off sick from work because I just couldn't get there. Scary stuff isn't it?

I had the traffic light problem and many more, I remember one time going through the automatic car wash, and I wanted out of the car so bad, I had to keep taking everything out of my purse and putting it back in just to try to detour my thoughts of getting out of the car. It was like I was a crazy woman gone mad.
I also pulled over on the interstate and got out of my car in the pouring down rain, because I HAD TO GET OUT OF THE CAR. I am also very claustrophobic, and have to be able to get out of anywhere I am.
I also suffered the extreme anger with this, I would fly off the handle and get so upset I though my body was litteraly going to explode.
I am so thankful I got help and I would like to let other people know there is help and you are not crazy, you just need to work very closely with your doctor to find what works for you.

Good Luck To All!!!

Old 01-12-2008, 07:13 AM

9 posts, read 23,198 times
Default Upright MRI Zero Claustrophobia Patient Rate

You get scanned Sitting while wating TV upright_mri : SUPERIOR FOR BACK PAIN HEALTH MRI (http://tinyurl.com/9s5hu - broken link)

Old 01-12-2008, 09:13 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
Flying or riding in elevators doesn't bother me.

I had to abort an MRI once, but tried it again with some slight modifications to my position and made it through.

What really bothers me is crawling through a tight tunnel or a cave passage or a pipe. Of course I never do any of those things, but just thinking about them makes my body start to spasm. It's happening right now.

I think it probably has something to do with when I was a kid and dug a hole in the backyard and got stuck in it. I wasn't stuck long, but it was long enough to make me panic and I have never forgotten it.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
I don't know if this can be considered classic claustophobia or not, but here's my fright...I cannot stand to be in a place with no windows,or in a room that has the blinds or curtains closed..I have to be able to see far and wide and especially the daylight..My h wants to go on a cruise, I said no, because I cannot imagine being trapped in the middle of nothing but water and cannot see land. Flying doesn't bother me as long as I have a window seat and can keep the shade up all the time, however I get very upset that everyone else has the shade down and I can't see out if I turn my gaze from my own window..I think that deep down I want to be sure of an escape route, because when I go anywhere I would rather take my car and be the driver..

Old 01-12-2008, 09:39 AM

379 posts, read 644,762 times
It is common for people to need a little bit of ativan before a MRI. Its pretty close quarters in there. Even someone who doesn't have claustrophobia can be fearful in that situation.

To the THERAPISTS: How do you feel about EMDR? Would you suggest EMDR to help patients with phobias?

Old 01-12-2008, 01:06 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Flying or riding in elevators doesn't bother me.

I had to abort an MRI once, but tried it again with some slight modifications to my position and made it through.

What really bothers me is crawling through a tight tunnel or a cave passage or a pipe. Of course I never do any of those things, but just thinking about them makes my body start to spasm. It's happening right now.

I think it probably has something to do with when I was a kid and dug a hole in the backyard and got stuck in it. I wasn't stuck long, but it was long enough to make me panic and I have never forgotten it.
I hope I never have to have an MRI. Just the thought makes me shudder. I don't even like it when I'm sleeping under heavy covers. I have to stick a foot out from underneath. Know what I just can't stand to see or think of... coffins!!! Eeeeekkkk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health