Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
a couple of the other symptoms my DR said was dry dull hair, muscle cramps and aches.

I dont want to scare you, but, having an over active thyroid can cause you to have a heart attack. My sister in law had an over active thyroid which they nuked and killed because it is so damaging to your heart. I dont want to frighten you, but, in the same token, I dont want you to ignore it, and if this info helps your health, I would much rather give it to you than not.
Hopefully that's not the case,besides the panic attacks I feel healthy.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 PM

159 posts, read 599,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree View Post
Hopefully that's not the case,besides the panic attacks I feel healthy.

I feel fine too, besides the anxiety/panic attacks.

I went to see my Dr about about one thing, they did some blood work, and imagine my surprise when everything they were looking for was negative, and the one thing she was unconcerned about, my thyroid, came back a problem.

She only tested it because of my anxiety. she was as surprised as I was.

personally, I wouldn't take the chance, especially with an over active thyroid, but thats just me, no matter how much it cost me.

Good luck.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
WELL, I can't believe how much better I am feeling. I got my doctor to up my Paxil to 30 mgs, when I go up, I do it at 5mgs at a time. I take a week for the 25mgs and then next week will move onto the 30mgs.

I went to Walmart today with NOT ONE SYMPTOM, I went to Best Buy, had to wait in line forever, not one problem.

I had to see my doctor and his son actually flirted with me and it didn't freak me out, I flirted back with him actually. In the past he has always freaked me out because of the attention he pays to me. He is single and my age and a doctor, wow.
YAY, Im glad you are feeling better!! Thats great news!!

1 question, is the young doctor cute?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 PM

RH1 I am glad the CD's are helping. I woke up the other night and used them to get me back to sleep.

Suzet, how are you feeling? How are things going at home? We are sending warm wishes and healing thoughts your way!!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handitak View Post
RH1 I am glad the CD's are helping. I woke up the other night and used them to get me back to sleep.

Suzet, how are you feeling? How are things going at home? We are sending warm wishes and healing thoughts your way!!
I am doing better. I still have that little twinge of anxiety, and the sweaty hands, but over all better. Thank you for asking.

Lindsey you go!!! I am sooo happy for you. That is great you were able to go in Walmart and Best Buy. Walmart can cause me to get anxious!! That place is crazy. I am sure it felt really good to be flirted with. It is always nice to be appreciated.

handitak, what did the test say about your thyroid? Over active, under active? I am so happy you are feeling better too. Please let us know whats going on with your thyroid. If there is something off, that could be the reason for all your anxiety. Which could be a good thing. They should be able to fix it then.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handitak View Post
YAY, Im glad you are feeling better!! Thats great news!!

1 question, is the young doctor cute?
He is cute, dark hair like I like, just a little taller then I am, just a touch of gray in his hair. His Father (My doctor) looks a little like Colonel Sanders, he even has the curl in his moustache.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:04 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
It sounds like everyone had a pretty good day.

Lindsay, you should do well on your Paxil at 30mg. It sounds as though you had a very good day at 25! It sure feels good to have a man take notice of you. Wink, wink! And, a trip into the Wal-Mart is always worth celebrating!! Talk about crowds and confusion! You did very good today.

Suzet, I'm happy to hear that you are feeling better, too. We all feel a sense of relief when we get a good report from our friends.

Mystree, I started out as hyperthyroidism and then became hypo. This is pretty common for young women. The hyper is often caused by throiditus in young women and will pretty quickly become hypothyroidism.

Both are something that you want to have treated. They regulate all of your metabolism (stimulated by the pituitary gland), which of course means that your heart health is involved. That is why I asked about the dry skin, underweight, anxiety of course, and palpatations. These are all symptoms of an overactive (hyper) thyroid.

Most people who have hyperactivity of the thyroid are jittery, anxious and easily panicked. I think that this is one of the first things that a doctor tests when facing a patient with anxiety attacks and any of the other symptoms. And, boy, is it an easy fix!!

Handitak's sister-in-law had hers radiated to stop the hormone over production, Suzet had most of hers removed still allowing some production (probably just enough), and mine was thyroiditus, so the gland became nonfunctioning from the inflammation. I and probably Handitak's s-in-l take synthetic thyroid hormone now (last 38 yrs. for me).

But, hypothyroidism has its own set of problems, including the possibility of panic disorder, plus tiredness, slow heart beat, weight gain, muscle pain, etc.

It is such a common problem, especially among women of child-bearing age, that it really should be checked out. In fact, pregnancy is many times the trigger for thyroid disease.

I hope that everyone has a real up day tomorrow! One day at a time. One really good one usually leads to another good one.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:00 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Whats also interesting is that even my dreams have changed, I was having some very upsetting dreams where I was feeling lost and upset.

Last night I had a dream that was wonderful. I dreamed of going to the beach with my Father and collecting sea shells, which is one of my favorite things to do. Along the way there I saw lots of kittens (always a sign I am happy) and a few puppys as well.
All of these things are positive things to me.
I am looking forward to the weekend, I will probably go up to the pool in our development and get some sun and enjoy the weekend rather then cowering inside.

At higher doses like I am taking now, I get a muscle twitch in my legs, its not too often but I have come to find it a reasuring thing, because I know the Paxil is there because of it.

When I was at my worst, my mind felt clouded and gray, I couldn't see how things could get any better. Paxil makes it feel like the clouds have been blown away and I can think rationally.

Last edited by Lindsey_Mcfarren; 03-14-2008 at 06:09 AM..

Old 03-15-2008, 07:16 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times
I'm glad everyones had a good day. Maybe when we get settled into our new house I will really consider getting a check-up done. I've been doing pretty well keeping my panic attacks in check,but they do like to sneak up on me especially when I start feeling confident that I have them under control.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:52 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Mystree and Lindsey, I am glad to hear that you are both doing so well.

Lindsey, keep having those nice, happy dreams!

Mystree, it is strange that when you are feeling the most confident that is when an attack will sneak up on you. Usually we think of that happening when we are at a low point or stressful point in our lives.

It is good for each of us to know what seems to be a trigger for our unwanted events. It gives us a chance to control those triggers before they do any damage. I hope you have an easy, stressfree move, Mystree. It will be great for you to have a good exam with the doctor.

I hope everyone is having a nice relaxing weekend and feels refreshed to start a new week on Monday. That's my plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health