Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:39 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I knew or used to see a young man around town who always carried a duffel or sports bag around. People who did know him said it was full of tin foil, So he could keep unwanted radio signals from listening to his conversations. Other than that he appeared pretty "normal."
This disorder starts out like something benign like mistrusting a SO, or thinking your neighbor or teacher has it out for you. It gets progressively worst until the focus of your daily life is catering to this paranoia.
lol... what a weirdo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 01:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Another billing code in the already bloated DSM.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:18 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,777,431 times
Everyone thinks I'm paranoid, I don't believe them though, I think they're all just out to get me.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:50 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
Default it's a DSM IV

classification in the personality disorders, under the cluster (I don't remember if it's cluster A B Or C) but it's classified under the "bizzare" cluster of people (like schizoids, schizotypals). It's not a psychosis like Paranoid Schizophrenia, it's a maladaptive way of relating to other people that has been present since age 18

the other 2 clusters are people who are flamboyant and loud (histrionic, narcissistic, antisosocial, borderline) and people who are anxious and withdrawn(avoidant, dependent)

Old 07-25-2010, 03:57 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Many people have trust issues, they are not all wackos.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:47 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,376 times
Trust issues are fine if they're legitimate. Paranoia is bad if they're not.

I don't trust many people, since they try to trick me out of jealousy for me being more innately intelligent than they are.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:10 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,776 times
Having dealt with someone who went off the meds, I can say it ain't pretty. When it gets to the point where the person has some imaginary bones to pick with you, engages in using up all your VM space on the phone, gets banned from an entire street, hassles people you're working with...it doesn't matter if they can or can't make good on their threats, it becomes a waking nightmare if you have regular contact with them.

This person wanted to put on a kids show in the venue we used to run. I had a feeling he wasn't 'all there' (takes one to know one I guess...) but his overly friendly manner fooled everyone else. By the time his P-S behavior started showing he was ensconsed as a regular visitor to the venue, going so far as to leave his luggage there. When I confronted him and told him he couldn't leave it there, it was as if I'd insulted his mother. He screamed, ranted, raved...and everyone just stood there like stunned fish.
He started haunting other venues in the area which is how he came to be banned from a whole street. Sometimes his voice mails would feature him playing piano and 'singing', other times he'd rant about how our venue would miss out on being featured in his newly started travel guide to Adelaide.
It would've been funny had we not been so stressed over things like not having enough money, and having to deal with the egos of performers. This was a few years ago and I'm only just now at the point where I can think about it without twitching. Much.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:22 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Many people have trust issues, they are not all wackos.
True...and theres probably something in there history that makes them that way...but its just one more label to add to the group. I once had a neighbor who fits the category....he'd put an X of caution tape across the entry door of his apartment every night...you know...protective measures. Otherwise he could carry on a some what normal conversation

Old 07-25-2010, 06:24 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Another billing code in the already bloated DSM.

Nope, DSM is diagnosis codes; CPT is billing codes --- and there are too many of both!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:02 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
<snip>. . .It's mixed in there with szchiophrenic. .
This is not true. Schizophrenia is an Psychotic Disorder, on Axis I. Paranoid Personality Disorder is a Personality Disorder, on Axis II. Some (but certainly not all) individuals who have Schizophrenia have some paranoid traits. Individuals who have Schizophrenia (Paranoid Type) do indeed share some traits with individuals who have Paranoid Personality Disorder. Thus, the two diagnoses are often confulsed with one anohter. One fundamental difference is that medication is probably more effective with Schizophrenia than it is with any of the Personality Disorders, whereas counseling is often a better option for individuals who have a personality disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health