Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:50 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times

Advertisements

My Girlfriend has depression and has been on prescription meds since she was 14 she in now 25. They all seem to work for a bit, but then she goes what she calls numb. She has no emotions. So they basically stop working. It is also getting expensive for both of us. Obviously the pharmaceutical companies don't really care about the health of people. So, my Girlfriend is going to stop taking the meds since they don't work. She wants to try a natural route. I was wondering if anyone out there has had any success with this route. I don't want to hear that its not a real health issue. So, if that is your opinion, leave your posts for another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 02:08 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
My Girlfriend has depression and has been on prescription meds since she was 14 she in now 25. They all seem to work for a bit, but then she goes what she calls numb. She has no emotions. So they basically stop working. It is also getting expensive for both of us. Obviously the pharmaceutical companies don't really care about the health of people. So, my Girlfriend is going to stop taking the meds since they don't work. She wants to try a natural route. I was wondering if anyone out there has had any success with this route. I don't want to hear that its not a real health issue. So, if that is your opinion, leave your posts for another thread.
Because of the way antidepressants affect brain chemicals, it is not unusual to need to change medicines. The best results with treatment are with a combination of medication and therapy.

Some antidepressants should not be stopped abruptly! GF should talk to her doctor. If she has been on medication since age 14, stopping the medication could result in a very bad worsening of her condition. There are no over the counter products that have been proven to help moderate to severe depression.

Many pharmaceutical companies do have assistance programs that provide free medication to people who cannot afford it. GF should see if she qualifies for whatever med she ends up taking. There also may be low cost mental health centers in your community if she is uninsured.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:10 PM

180 posts, read 217,082 times
Marijuanna = best antidepressant

Old 07-26-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
Marijuanna = best antidepressant
Hardly. I'm not anti marijuana. However, it is a depressant and a it makes people irritable once they get used to it and can find any. Yes, I am saying that it is addictive. My proof is my brother. When he can't get his high he becomes very violent and sometimes very depressed.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Because of the way antidepressants affect brain chemicals, it is not unusual to need to change medicines. The best results with treatment are with a combination of medication and therapy.

Some antidepressants should not be stopped abruptly! GF should talk to her doctor. If she has been on medication since age 14, stopping the medication could result in a very bad worsening of her condition. There are no over the counter products that have been proven to help moderate to severe depression.

Many pharmaceutical companies do have assistance programs that provide free medication to people who cannot afford it. GF should see if she qualifies for whatever med she ends up taking. There also may be low cost mental health centers in your community if she is uninsured.
We know this. She is going to slowly ween off the meds. She doesn't even know if she has depression. She was "diagnosed" when she was younger and in high school. We are going to try nothing for about a month, then start the blood type diet and some herbal supplements.

The Anti-depression meds just make it worse. She has never had one that works and she has tried them all. Her doctors keep "testing" various meds on her, I think it has taken a toll on her health. There has to be something she can try that is not a prescription.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:51 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times
Quote:
We know this. She is going to slowly ween off the meds. She doesn't even know if she has depression. She was "diagnosed" when she was younger and in high school. We are going to try nothing for about a month, then start the blood type diet and some herbal supplements.

The Anti-depression meds just make it worse. She has never had one that works and she has tried them all. Her doctors keep "testing" various meds on her, I think it has taken a toll on her health. There has to be something she can try that is not a prescription.
Has she explored any counseling options? Antidepressants work well for many individuals, but there are some things that medication cannot treat. Counseling and medication often work very well together, whereas using only one option may be ineffective, in and of itself.

How often is she seeing a psychiatrist? When was the last time she had an appointment? I would not stop the antidepressants before talking with a psychiatrist. Doing so can have deadly consequences.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:01 PM

180 posts, read 217,082 times
Quote:
Hardly. I'm not anti marijuana. However, it is a depressant and a it makes people irritable once they get used to it and can find any. Yes, I am saying that it is addictive. My proof is my brother. When he can't get his high he becomes very violent and sometimes very depressed.
Maybe he is a very violent and depressed person and the marijuanna helps him.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times

Mixing THC and antidepressants is a bad idea.

Take note:
Quote:
Marijuana is what pharmacologists call a "dirty" drug. It contains not only psychoactive tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), but 65 other cannabinoids which may modulate THC's effects and produce others of their own. It's therefore impossible to precisely define the effects produced by cross-medicating marijuana with antidepressants. . . .all the experts absolutely agree on two points. Taking prescription antidepressants and simultaneously self-medicating with marijuana is not a good idea. And not telling the physician who prescribes your antidepressants that you use marijuana is simply a poor and potentially dangerous decision.
Also keep in mind that dealers sometimes add other things to marijuana, such as cocaine, methamphetamines, and other highly addictive substances. It's good for their business.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Maybe a combination of St Johns Wort and counselling would help. But as a poster above said, it's unwise to go off an anti-depressant suddenly. Do a gradual decrease in dosage, then try St Johns' Wort once you're completely off the ADs. Don't take them concurrently.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,147 times
I'm anti-marijuana, because it's illegal. Doh!
Get to a doctor who knows whats going on. There are tests to do to see if you have Depression. Don't mess around with Depression (if that's what she has), it can kill you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health