U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2010, 08:43 PM

1,208 posts, read 2,456,096 times

Advertisements

A friend has recently been diagnosed with a "mass on the pancreas" and he is going in for a biopsy next week. He continues to smoke His doctor has not discussed with him the smoking factor

Does lifelong smoking contribute to pancreas disorders or pancreatic cancer? Does anyone really know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:13 PM

427 posts, read 167,580 times
Does anyone really know. Does anyone really know? Well gee, lets see.

Since smoke contains a large number of carcinogens--yeah, I'd say that probably most of us "really know", if we're honest about it. Or, if we just want to use a little common sense.

"They" say that smokers are twice as likely as non smokers to get the disease.

Diabetes is a risk factor, along with high fat diet. Industrial products.

And age. Yes, age. Age is a risk factor. SO STAY YOUNG!

And, aparently being male is also a risk factor, since more men than women get the disease.

Even though he's unsure of what is really going on, that he continues to smoke doesn't surprise me in the least.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:20 PM

19,800 posts, read 15,219,858 times
Yes smoking is a risk factor for pancreatic cancer.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:04 AM

5,548 posts, read 4,926,357 times
Patrick Swayze was a smoker and died of it.

I went to a grief group (my dad died) and there was a guy there who lost his wife in three weeks due to it. She had never gone to Drs her entire life, had a stomach ache one day and did and BOOM! - dead three weeks later.

Even though I smoke, and want to quit, I do get my annual physical.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:25 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,642,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
A friend has recently been diagnosed with a "mass on the pancreas" and he is going in for a biopsy next week. He continues to smoke His doctor has not discussed with him the smoking factor

Does lifelong smoking contribute to pancreas disorders or pancreatic cancer? Does anyone really know?
Hey Coney,

Sorry to hear about your friend. Pancreatic cancer has a very low life expectancy. Simply put, there is no reason for the doctor to discuss his smoking. According to the Johns Hopkins Pancreatic Research Center, it is estimated that 20-25% cases of pancreatic cancer are caused by smoking. Here's the link that explains some of this: What Causes Pancreatic Cancer? Please bear in mind that if your friend has pancreatic cancer, he may only have a very short amount of time to deal with the prognosis. I hate being this blunt/harsh, but sometimes friends and family fail to grasp how little time remains to spend with their recently diagnosed loved one and later regret it. (Been there, done that.)

I don't know if you've heard of the "Last Lecture." Randy Pausch, a Carnegie Mellon professor with a real zest for life, prepared his last lecture after receiving a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. The video of his last lecture is incredible - but I think you probably need to be in a good frame of mind before watching it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health