U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 AM

324 posts, read 158,632 times

Advertisements

My doctor prescribed me to take Citalopram and I don't want to take it. It's for people with major depression. I don't have depression; I have anxiety.

Is there any possible way of curing anxiety if I take this medication for a very limited amount of time?? I'm ashamed of taking anxiety medication, it's something I never wanted to do. Yet, I continuously embarrass myself as well as others when they see me suffering from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 PM

9,107 posts, read 6,777,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post

Is there any possible way of curing anxiety if I take this medication for a very limited amount of time??
I believe the point of taking prescribed medications is that you then become dependent on them, rather than them actually curing you.

I have a friend who takes Xanax for anxiety..He seems to do rather well with that. Maybe you could ask about another kind of medication if you do not want to take something for depression...

Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM

3,395 posts, read 8,169,315 times
I do have an acquaintance who has severe anxiety panic attacks and was helped out rather well by zoloft, a typical antidepressant.....perhaps the whole serotonin thing plays in on both of them....

Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,258,201 times
Celexa works good for anxiety and depression; I'm proof of it but everyone's body chemistry is different. Even the doctor doesn't know how you'll respond; it's kind of a wait and see thing. Now I'm trying to slowly taper off taking it.
It will take a while to see results and hang in there!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:49 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,516,301 times
I take Citalopram for anxiety. It is not a cure-all, it takes the edge off. The rest is done through therapy. It is not a quick-fix, it takes several weeks to a month to work. If you want something that works fast, you'll want a Benzo, the only drawback is that they are highly addictive.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:09 PM

2,973 posts, read 4,597,942 times
I took citalopram for anxiety for 3 years. Weened myself off of it in July and had a hell of a rebound of my anxiety (both panic attacks and generalized anxiety). I decided to go the non-medication route this time because like a previous poster said, meds don't "cure" it, just mask the symptoms. I am now seeing a therapist to treat it, and so far, I feel a lot better.

Anti-depressants are often used for treatment of anxiety because it deals with the same brain chemical (serotonin). Xanax it totally a different type of drug and is more for emergencies/panic attacks and it is sedative.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:48 PM

6,174 posts, read 9,420,168 times
im on zoloft for anxiety (its an antidepressant) the idea being some anxiety is based on a similar chemical inbalance...
that being said...
therapy might be a better option for you if your not a fan of the idea of medication.
in therapy they will try to get down to the REASON you are prone to the anxiety and try to give you tools to help manage it.

anxiety can be a very serious problem, but if your not comfortable taking meds you need to tell your dr that NOW!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:32 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,727,905 times
I was prescribed Buspar (Buspirone) for generalized anxiety. Took it for all of 2 days before I gave up since the side effects made me even more anxious. It is one of the standard treatments for generalized anxiety, whereas Xanax would be for panic attack episodes. I did try low dose Klonopin just one time, and it was much better tolerated. Depression and anxiety are often linked and have similar treatments so it might be worth a try. However, I don't have any experience with taking antidepressants.

I'm taking nothing now as I've learned to control my anxieties.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:55 PM

1,177 posts, read 3,046,664 times
You could try it. I am on Paxil and it helps my anxiety( which hit me with menopause)alot. I know I will have to wean,but the anxiety was debilitating
and I couldnt take hormones,and since this was physically caused(dropping hormones) I felt therapy was not an option. I never had anxiety till now and
got so bad,because I didnt know what was wrong with me! Paxil is a godsend for me. The only drawback for men is the libido thing. Not so much for a menopausal woman.

Greenchili

Old 01-04-2011, 05:19 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,766,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
You could try it. I am on Paxil and it helps my anxiety( which hit me with menopause)alot. I know I will have to wean,but the anxiety was debilitating
and I couldnt take hormones,and since this was physically caused(dropping hormones) I felt therapy was not an option. I never had anxiety till now and
got so bad,because I didnt know what was wrong with me! Paxil is a godsend for me. The only drawback for men is the libido thing. Not so much for a menopausal woman.

Greenchili

I was on Paxil years ago. Best med ever! But it can put on weight if you're not careful. I would go back on Paxil if it wasn't for the weight gain.

Right now I take Xanax for BP spikes, it knocks me out cold within a hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health