Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:40 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, thanks for your opinions. I intentionally didn't weigh in with my story until I have all of your unbiased opinons.

I am a person who deals with bipolar disorder and sustance dependence, as defined in the DSM IV. My first memory of something strange occurred when I was eight or nine. For one summer I would only eat smooth food, as to not choke on anything. That was 8 or 9. At 9 or 10 I experienced the depths of depression. I can only figure it was SAD or that something else induced it. I was depressed before I ever picked up a drink.

By 13 I'd had my first drink. At last, relieved. It's noteworthy that although I tried to be involved in other actitivies prior to this (blue birds, brownies, cross guard), I was always denied this by my parents. So, I found a way to belong through substances (now all you smug people tell me it was a choice. I had no other choice. I was denied every choice). I hardly think at 13 one is going to raise the flags, as in GET ME HELP!

So, what all of this evolved into was mental illness and substance abuse. I've dealt with both all of my life and it's been very frustrating. No, I will never cheat or lie or steal from you, in large part because I managed to get an MBA plus a certification and paid my dues doing a four hour commute each day on my well-paying job to see my property rise in value. Then I decided it was time to cash out. I bought another house for cash and have a lot of money in the bank. So, see I will never steal from you because I have morals, values and ethics, in spite of mental health issues and an ongoing substance abuse issue (Wine) and more money than you probably do! I've really tried to get a get a grip on my issues, voluntarily, via numerous routes. Of course, I can always give in to eating, smoking, shopping. Fat? No big deal, just don't sit on the plane next to me. Smoker? Stay away from me. Single and shopper? Hey, it's my credit to worry about. Wine? I stay at home and don't bother anyone.

You people with the smugness really irk me. I've probably achieved more than you, don't ask anything from you, pay my own taxes, and I keep to myself.

Plus, I have a bipolar DX, which only complicates matters. I deal with both things. The last thing this society needs is judgement from people who don't even understand. But I still do appreciate your input, even if I'm not happy about the narrow mindedness I see here.
I take issue with the term "smug" when speaking about people who think SA is a choice. I happen to strongly agree that SA begins with one or more choices. I am sorry for your situation, but quite frankly, I have heard many stories just like yours that seemingly justify SA. Of course, each person's story is individual with different factors, but at some point, the addict must take responsibility for his or her actions in order to ever achieve recovery. I think you assume a great deal about others being "smug". Perhaps, you have forgotten or don't know that many, many addicts have loved ones and emotional victims that they leave in their wakes. I am one such victim, and I have earned the right to take a strong stand against SA. If your addiction affects no one, you are truly in the minority in that regard. Or perhaps you don't realize you are affecting anyone. Either way, I pray that you will concentrate your efforts on beating the addiction rather than worrying about others' "narrow mindedness". You never know, we may have stories that justify our opinions, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 03:18 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
We have inadvertantly created a culture that endorses/supports medications too much of the time.

That is NOT to say, however, that tribute should not be paid to those medications that have truly saved people's lives, or enhanced their well being...
I completely agree. Medications per se aren't the problem but the ease with which they are sometimes prescribed and taken. We shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath-water.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:30 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
If anyone has interest in addictions, psychology and the like I have found several great podcasts on each. Dr Drew has a podcast that discusses addictions, causes, treatment, etc. I was also surprised to find intro to psychology lectures in podcast form, several are available that run about 1 hour and 20 minutes. There was some really interesting stuff in there. I hope to develope a better understanding of depression and related illnesses. I deal with it everyday and do my best to be sympathetic, but I really don't understand it. If you suffer from it, my heart goes out to you, if you love someone that suffers from it, don't give up on them.

Last edited by Old Man Winter; 07-25-2007 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-25-2007, 04:36 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Depression is loss of hope. Feeling tired of life. There are medications which can help. It is discouraging that people still call those with emotional disorders "crazy"- Its like going back in time. With what we know now, moods can be helped through therapy/ medication. It is a shame some uneducated people still attach a stigma to it.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:06 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
When you hear someone suffers from clinical depression, do you think the person is crazy? Same question for bipolar disorder? Schizophrenia?

If a friend or someone you were dating disclosed this condition to you, would you be less interested in pursuing the relationship?

Do you think of substance abuse/addiction as better or worst or more acceptable or less acceptable than mental health issues? Would you be friends with someone like this?

Thanks.
You cant really judge someone you think is acting in a way thats not normal to you because you havent experienced what they have in the timing and order they did within the seasons of their life

Old 08-09-2007, 04:44 AM

104 posts, read 688,255 times
[quote=movin'on;1098628]When you hear someone suffers from clinical depression, do you think the person is crazy? Same question for bipolar disorder? Schizophrenia?

If a friend or someone you were dating disclosed this condition to you, would you be less interested in pursuing the relationship?

Do you think of substance abuse/addiction as better or worst or more acceptable or less acceptable than mental health issues? Would you be friends with someone like this?

Clinical depression is a physical disorder. I do not consider the individual insane/crazy. Bipolar is basically the same as clinical depression.

The most dangerous thing about this type of depression/schiz etc., is when the individual does not take responsibility for their illness...does not get the proper medical treatment...does not follow their doctor's orders....and abuses the medications.

I was married to a man who suffers with bipolar/borderline schiz/OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and had psychotic tendencies. As long as he stayed on his medications (once they found the proper ones/dosage)...then he was able to maintain. However, he chose to either stop taking the meds or took too many and would then turn into a loose cannon and either attempt suicide or turn on me (physically and/or emtionally).

One of the difficult things is that the heavy-duty meds can most often have terrible side effects. And for that reason, many patients will stop taking them. Or, when the meds are doing the trick, the patient starts feeling so great that they decide they don't need the meds/side effects and they stop taking them and then all hell can break loose.

There are so many factors involved, that one answer will not give you all the information you need.

The biggest problem my ex had was when he began mixing booze with Prozac...the results are the involuntary need to commit suicide.

I left to save my life. And him? He is still very ill and continues to NOT follow any of the psychiatrists orders/recommendations.

Each patient is different, and each has a different history, etc. One cannot group all of them in one category.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
When you hear someone suffers from clinical depression, do you think the person is crazy? Same question for bipolar disorder? Schizophrenia?

Thanks.
Most people have some level of mental disorder at some point in their lives. One out of three people, for instance, is depressed sooner or later. You can't shut the door on the world's whole population, can you?

A few unluckies get saddled with something severe their entire lives. One of the diagnostic criteria for a mental disorder it that it screws up your life in some significant way. Yeah, these people are a lot harder to have a good relationship with...Until they get their problem treated and cured, or at least under reasonable control, they may be more trouble than they are worth.

The thing is, a person can have a severe mental disorder and you'll never know it. A good friend of mine for the last 20 years was hearing voices telling her to kill herself long before we met. She just kept it to herself and soldiered on. She is now on disability for it, but she does not put her symptoms in anyone's face. If you met her you would never know. I work in mental health and have 2 Axis I disorders myself. One is detectable to the naked eye; the other one nobody has ever seen or known about. Agfter years of therapy and a couple of rounds of meds, both long ended, I have a steady job, a good income, and la de da. You can't let things get you down or you are finished.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:19 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I completely agree. Medications per se aren't the problem but the ease with which they are sometimes prescribed and taken. We shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath-water.
Meds also become a replacement for taking charge of your life and working to resolve your problems. Then when the problems learn to swim upstream against the prescriptions, where are you? Up a creek without knowing that there is such a thing as a paddle, is where you are.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
I realized a long time ago that most humans were either idiots or lunatics.

I don’t care if this manifests as definable mental disorders, drug addiction, or religious and/or political beliefs.

As long as they stay the Hell away from me, they can be as stupid and crazy as they want.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:46 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I realized a long time ago that most humans were either idiots or lunatics.

I don’t care if this manifests as definable mental disorders, drug addiction, or religious and/or political beliefs.

As long as they stay the Hell away from me, they can be as stupid and crazy as they want.
That is one of the most pointed, and absolutely best, thing I have read recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health