U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 PM

324 posts, read 454,077 times

Advertisements

This is just a general question. Do those with undiagnosed schizophrenia or bi-polar disorder sometimes wonder if they may have it or are they completely oblivious to their own symptoms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 07:31 PM

20,976 posts, read 16,254,195 times
No....yes....shut up....I don't know.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:34 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,341,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
This is just a general question. Do those with undiagnosed schizophrenia or bi-polar disorder sometimes wonder if they may have it or are they completely oblivious to their own symptoms?
I think there is are many different levels of awareness. Some know but are helpless to do anything about it. Others, I think are oblivious. I have known people who were mentally ill who though EVERYBODY else was crazy.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-26-2011, 08:23 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,723,298 times
In my experience working as an ED RN and in Mental Health many years ago, most people do have an awareness of their mental health issues.

The only people who don't are those in an acute manic phase or an acute psychosis.

There are exceptions but the people who come to the ED generally say they are feeling 'unwell' 'not right', or whatever.

If you think you have a mental illness you need to see your PCP who will refer you to a Psychiatrist. A Psychiatrist will do whatever they do and hopefully diagnose you then start with cognitive therapy and/or medication.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:25 PM

324 posts, read 454,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
In my experience working as an ED RN and in Mental Health many years ago, most people do have an awareness of their mental health issues.

The only people who don't are those in an acute manic phase or an acute psychosis.

There are exceptions but the people who come to the ED generally say they are feeling 'unwell' 'not right', or whatever.

If you think you have a mental illness you need to see your PCP who will refer you to a Psychiatrist. A Psychiatrist will do whatever they do and hopefully diagnose you then start with cognitive therapy and/or medication.

No. I don't think I am mentally ill but I sympathize with those who are mentally ill because I'm sure it's like a "virus of the mind".

I'm more so artistic and so I am a little off

Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,793,656 times
for me, i knew there was "something not right" but i didnt know to what extent untill i had a major swing...

most people i know feel the same way, its more a sense of knowing your not "quite right" than knowing you have an illness...

but i have met a few people who seriously didnt think there was anything wrong with them...
im sure denial plays a big part in that though...
some people accept it and try to help themselves...
some people however ismply cant accept it and go on telling themselves they are perfectly normal...

Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,840,455 times
Or else you can be like my Mom who was so paranoid schizophrenic for so long without medication that she just KNEW everyone else in the world was a "sicko". lol Ok, I can look back and laugh cuz she's ok now and that only went on for 30 or so years..

Old 04-23-2011, 08:45 PM

8,004 posts, read 10,035,706 times
Bennie, it really does vary. Most know that something just isn't right...either they're sleeping all the time, or they're unable to sleep. Either they can't concentrate or they obsess over certain things. The worst part of schizophrenia, or BP manic psychosis, is that you can't trust anyone. You most CERTAINLY can't tell people if you're seeing things or hearing voices...OMG, they'd think you're crazy! They'll have you locked up!

It's horrid...if they do take meds, the meds quite often make them feel worse (at least initially) than they were feeling when they were "off"..."Are they poisoning me? I don't think they know what they're doing..yeah, they're crazy...they're poisoning me! I was FINE until I went to see that damn doctor. People want to drug me so that they can take what I've worked for...steal my things. They're all crazy! There's nothing wrong with me! They're the crazy ones."

It's a horrible, frightening thing. My grandson's father wrapped his vehicle around a telephone pole, shearing it off, passing in a no passing zone (35mph), going 85....full blown delusional off his Schiz/bipolar meds. Nearly killed himself...probably would have better if he had. He won't stay on his meds and lives in a constant state of fear and paranoia....can't focus or sleeps 20 hrs per day, unless he's manic, then he can't sleep for days...which is what happened right before he wrapped his truck around the telephone pole. You can't help him...no one can, he won't let them. He believes the voices so much more than he does real people...somehow, the voices are far more convincing. Sad....really sad. :-(

Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 AM

56,003 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
It's only one example, but in his later years, someone asked John Nash how someone as brilliant as he could have possibly believed that space aliens were contacting him. He said that the thoughts and voices came from the same place in his head that the math came from. The math was real, so why wouldn't the aliens also be real?

I guess there's a lot we've yet to learn about the human brain.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 AM

24,103 posts, read 30,219,984 times
my brother's baby mama seems to be somewhat aware that she has issues, but doesnt want to deal with them and she convinces herself they arent as significant as others may believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health