Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 03:53 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

What I want to post has to do with relationships (or in my case, lack of them), wanting to go for a new job after 20 years on the same job (work and employment forum) and anxiety and depression (mental health forum)

The issue has to do with all 3 forums so I don't know the best place to post this

I live alone and have so for 20 years. I'm pretty isolated tho i am fairly successful occupationally and have never made a move to another job since i have been living on my own. I'm not making enough $$ and my self esteem is poor, I want to make a change but am totally petrified to do so. In fact I'm actually tired of the field that I'm in and want to change to something that pays more $$ but I haven't the slightest idea what to pursue. At this point in my life honestly i wouldn't mind delivering mail all day if i was paid more $$ that what i get now

I'm also in my late 40's and wonder what is going to become of me down the road. I cannot afford to quit my job unless I have another lined up

I know some posters on this board have not been very happy with me lately (last fall i posted too many "does she like me?" posts which triggered a lot of annoyance and catcalls) but i no longer do that here. so no one should be annoyed with me now

so if you could be supportive and let me know which forum would be good for my situation

if you think i should discuss it here, ask me some questions

you could be honest but pls don't be facetious

thanks

RLRL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 04:09 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Can you put them in order of importance? If you are struggling with anx/dep, as I have in the past, that colors absolutely everything else....if you can get treatment, then you can evaluate the other issues more clearly. For forums, you could post in all three but word each differently and according to specific issues.

IMO:
1. obtain appt with counseling for eval...need therapy/meds?
2. evaluate your options for different job...you have a college degree? a certificate of some sort? past jobs? what transferable skills do you have?
3. relationships fall into place much easier after you have proper treatment for anx/depression. It took a no. of years before I found the correct medicine combo that worked for me....it is so worth it!

Best wishes and the meantime, keep listening to Man. Transfer

Old 04-23-2011, 04:20 PM

Default well, here's the thing

and GBH thanks for the warm comments about Man Tran,

I have a lot of get up and go, it's just that i am more motivated to do for others than for myself, i am so imbedded in this job and caretaking that i have NEVER seriously gotten a resume together or gone on any interviews. last one was in 1994 and the job actually paid LESS that what I made back then

I am not depressed to the extent that my appetite is poor or have no energy and i have never been suicidal. in fact, given my lack of social supports and family supports (my dad passed in 2008 and my mom and brother are in the Atlanta 'burbs and I am here in NY) everyone at work thinks i have tremendous coping skills considering my workload and lack of other supports. many say they have never met someone so strong determined yet so frazzled and touched by everything

I was on Paxil for 3 years but stopped it when my doctor thought it was making me gain weight

I became diabetic recently and am on a lot of medication. my sugar isn't that high but it's elevated so i take meds. i also take 2 diuretics for my blood pressure. i am overweight but have managed to lose about 12 pounds since the New Year started

I have worry upon worry about going out on my own for the VERY FIRST TIME. when i first landed this job in 1990 i was living with my parents. it's very very depressing thinking about job hunting all alone

I am basically reclusive in a way and may have Aspergers syndrome (or traces of it) but i try not thinking that way

it's like i just don't know what to do or where to begin

Old 04-23-2011, 04:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
What I want to post has to do with relationships (or in my case, lack of them), wanting to go for a new job after 20 years on the same job (work and employment forum) and anxiety and depression (mental health forum)

The issue has to do with all 3 forums so I don't know the best place to post this

I live alone and have so for 20 years. I'm pretty isolated tho i am fairly successful occupationally and have never made a move to another job since i have been living on my own. I'm not making enough $$ and my self esteem is poor, I want to make a change but am totally petrified to do so. In fact I'm actually tired of the field that I'm in and want to change to something that pays more $$ but I haven't the slightest idea what to pursue. At this point in my life honestly i wouldn't mind delivering mail all day if i was paid more $$ that what i get now

I'm also in my late 40's and wonder what is going to become of me down the road. I cannot afford to quit my job unless I have another lined up

I know some posters on this board have not been very happy with me lately (last fall i posted too many "does she like me?" posts which triggered a lot of annoyance and catcalls) but i no longer do that here. so no one should be annoyed with me now

so if you could be supportive and let me know which forum would be good for my situation

if you think i should discuss it here, ask me some questions

you could be honest but pls don't be facetious

thanks

RLRL
It doesn't bother me where you post but of course it might bother others - it sounds like your life is kind of flat. You mentioned moving, so you might consider where you might like to live and start talking about that.

Sometimes you have to have something that motivates you - turns you on, pushes you or pulls you.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:34 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
But being reclusive, having a "flat life", helping others but not yourself...still could be depression-related.

Even when fearful about changing jobs, interviews etc. , if you can DO IT ANYWAY, that leads to more and more courage to try/do new things. I (57 YRS, FEMALE, DIVORCED)am moving, by myself, to another state where I know no one! Think that is not scary?? But I am pushing ahead, and hope being bold about a move will have wonderful results!

GOOD LUCK

Old 04-23-2011, 06:51 PM

Default hey BH

I (57 YRS, FEMALE, DIVORCED)am moving, by myself, to another state where I know no one! Think that is not scary?? But I am pushing ahead, and hope being bold about a move will have wonderful results!

I am delighted to hear this. I think i am dealing with feeling scared but if i don't at least try, i won't have accomplished anything

i think i am afraid of actually GETTING a new job because it means starting all over to 1990 when my dad was alive and my mom was in good health and doing the unknown and untried an untested

Old 04-23-2011, 06:52 PM

Default I recently bought 2 new suits(for interviews)

so that is a start but i still have to get my resume together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health