Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 06:30 PM

345 posts, read 474,266 times

Advertisements

My daughters friend is ADD and the family has no insurance and is low income. Are there any programs that will assist in the payment for meds such as adderall xr? We live near St Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
I would call some of these places see if they can help. Good luck.

Mission | Grace Hill

Saint Louis City, MO Free Clinics | Affordable Medical and Dental Clinics in Saint Louis City, MO County | FreeClinicDirectory.org

NeedyMeds Free Clinics List by State

Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 PM

29 posts, read 58,728 times
Isn't there a local public mental health? Most cities have them and they can and do assist. Depending upon their actual income (whether they are actually low income according to the government) they can and should apply for healthy families insurance as well. This will help with all medical issues, or rather help from having other issues as well. Here is the link for the one in missouri
Missouri Family Health Council
good luck.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
My daughters friend is ADD and the family has no insurance and is low income. Are there any programs that will assist in the payment for meds such as adderall xr? We live near St Louis.
Some states have programs for the indigent, Colorado search google for that in Missouri.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
There is a generic version of Adderall, witch may help to make it more affordable. The bigger financial issue may be paying to see a physician. Many public mental health clinics (here in GA, at least) will not prescribe Adderall or other stimulant medication.

If your friend has low income, she may qualify for Medicaid. This would probably pay for psychiatric care, and her medication (depending on her State's guidelines.) Finding a physician that accepts Medicaid can be challenging, however.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
you Could check to see if Dexedrine Spansules RX cost less to fill than Adderall XR or is covered.

Adderall and Dexedrine are almost the same thing chemically - Adderall uses a few different amphetamine salts to spread out the amount of time it takes for the drug to metabolize, so it's "smoother" - theoretically.

I can't vouch for the way the differences that someone else will notice on Dexedrine to Adderall will make one feel, but I'll bet for most people the difference is subtle. Adderall is a bit "weaker" - at the same mg size - so if you were taking 40mg Adderall it might be roughly equivalent to 30mg of dexedrine(?) (check with your doctor and/or pharmacist on that info). Tabs vs. spansules effectiveness would be equivalent for Dexedrine and Adderall XR.

I've taken Dexedrine spanules and Adderall IR and XR. Honestly, I like Dexedrine better than the Adderall. Dexedrine seems to make me focus better, but Adderall feels better.

Since I did want to take the slightest risk to become physically dependent on Adderall I saw my doctor who switched me and I found Dexedrine to not have that type of side effects and and it works better for me.

Since the thing that my Doctor thinks may have caused the side effects I got on Adderall was the levo-amphetamine in adderall that dexedrine intentionally leaves out.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM

389 posts, read 616,955 times
I know what you mean about cost difference between XR and IR. I like XR because it lacks the amphemtamine rush IR causes. The drug-like boost sounds good, but as a professional it is not appropriate and quite noticeable to those around you. For 3-4 x the cost, even as a generic, XR fixed that issue, but then adderall quit all together due to the cost.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
If the meds you are seeking are not yet available in a generic version, apply to the drug company's patient assistance program to see if you qualify for a free supply.

Or: see if your prescribing doc can give you samples.

Or: get the patient on Medicaid.

Or: call your local community mental health center to see if and how they can help out.

Or: see if your child has been misdiagnosed and needs occupational therapy or some other treatment that does not involve addictive drugs like Adderall. A lot of conditions look like ADD but need totally different treatment to improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health