Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 03:33 PM

338 posts, read 741,136 times

Advertisements

OK, so I've read about the symptoms of schizophrenia, and I think I might have it.

Hallucinations: Sometimes, when I'm taking a shower, I think I hear my mom calling for me. When I turn off the water and ask, "What?", she says that she didn't say anything.

Disorganized thoughts/speech: I frequently find myself thinking or saying things that don't make sense, and often talk out loud to myself.

Do I have schizophrenia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
I don't know, but I've had the same things happen, and I sure don't think I'm schizophrenic..If you were diagnosed with schizophrenia for just those simple occurrences, we'd all be a bunch of schizoids.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:11 PM

338 posts, read 741,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I don't know, but I've had the same things happen, and I sure don't think I'm schizophrenic..If you were diagnosed with schizophrenia for just those simple occurrences, we'd all be a bunch of schizoids.
In other words, probably not?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
NO you are making lite of a bad disease,our daughter is,developed 20 or so years ago after death of son age 30,brain tumor.She is now 57 and I can tell you nothing but misery.There is next to no care for these and other mentally ill people.
It might be coincedence.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
OK, so I've read about the symptoms of schizophrenia, and I think I might have it.

Hallucinations: Sometimes, when I'm taking a shower, I think I hear my mom calling for me. When I turn off the water and ask, "What?", she says that she didn't say anything.

Disorganized thoughts/speech: I frequently find myself thinking or saying things that don't make sense, and often talk out loud to myself.

Do I have schizophrenia?
There is nowhere near enough info to say whether you have schizophrenia or not but based on what you've written I would guess that you don't. People with schizophrenia usually don't realize that their thoughts and speech doesn't make sense because it makes sense to them. Hallucinations are usually more than thinking that you hear someone calling you. That is actually quite common and most likely not a sign of anything wrong. If these things persist or get worse though it doesn't hurt to see a psychiatrist.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,496 times
Quote:
There is nowhere near enough info to say whether you have schizophrenia or not but based on what you've written I would guess that you don't
agree.

there is a difference between an illusion and a hallucination - for example, in low light, it would be easy to think movement could be a person, when in fact it could just be something moving in the wind - thats very different from seeing a person who isnt there, and for which there is no other rational explanation.

even hallucinations sometimes are not indicative of disease - e.g. in semi-awake states, or when taking some medicines/drugs.

thinking you are hearing someone calling you when you are in the shower could be a perfectly rational interpretation of the noises associated with your shower.

talking out loud isnt indicative of schizophrenia, and we all think or say nonsense from time to time, so that neither.

are you taking any prescription medication, or any recreational drugs? how much alcohol do you drink?

based on the very limited information you provide, im rather inclined to think that you are worried about a condition you have read about, and are retrofitting your symptoms to a diagnosis - try not to worry about it, but do see a doc if your symptoms persist or get worse.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times
Pretty much everyone experiences hallucinations every now and then. It's pretty common for someone to hear a sound, and mistake it for something that it is not (especially with background noise, such as running water.)

Keep in mind that DSM criteria also states one must have:

Quote:
social or occupational dysfunction: For a significant portion of the time since the onset of the disturbance, one or more major areas of functioning such as work, interpersonal relations, or self-care, are markedly below the level achieved prior to the onset.
Are these problems seriously interfering with your ability to function as a human being, on a day-to-day basis? If not, then you probably do not meet diagnostic criteria for Schizophrenia.

If you are concerned, make an appointment with a licensed counselor or psychiatrist. This is the only way to get a good answer to your question. However, I feel that the chances of you having a true mental health diagnosis are slim, based on what you said.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Almost everyone hears voices calling their name at times, and they usually hear their mothers. Everyone talks to themselves at times, too, whether it's because they're practicing something important they need to say in front of a group or going over what they're going to do next time that stupid so and so starts up with their usual blah blah. The mark of a schizophrenic is being so profoundly confused that you can't tell your own thoughts from a disembodied voice telling you to do things that you think you have to obey. Schizophrenics have NO personal boundaries and do not understand that you cannot insert thoughts into their heads or steal them from you; they do not understand that they are not robots being controlled by the devil or the CIA or their mother in law. They see and hear things that are not there and they cannot question the reality of those things; anyone who does question those hallucinations is dismissed as crazy, stupid, or in on the conspiracy.

We are all disorganized at times; you would not be able to ask about it in an understandable fashion if you were as disorganized as a schizophrenic.

The fact that you are questioning your own behavior and thoughts so sensibly suggests strongly that you are anything but schizophrenic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health