Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 02:04 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times

Advertisements

You might know the feeling, like you are so fragile that one more thing and that's it. I'm a house of cards, no glue just hanging there by a thread. A myriad of situational things pouring like a storm with a only a leaky umbrella, alone and with no end in sight. It's awfully hard on people with serious depression to weather this kind of storm. And no Doc is going to pull a loyal friend out of his hat to help ya bail out the boat. Meds can be helpful to stabilize the cards to some degree, if ones lucky enough to have a working remedy. Without either, it feels like you're doing the dog paddle and only getting more worn down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 03:11 AM

31 posts, read 158,154 times
We all feel vulnerable and not so strong at some stage of our lives, I have been through it. Believe me it passes and there is always light at the end of the dark tunnel.

I would recommend a strong belief in god. faith and self belief work miracles.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:17 AM

95 posts, read 247,786 times
Hi Todd, I'm sorry to hear you're going through a difficult time.

I've found that staying connected to the outside world, i.e. outside myself, keeps things looking brighter and reminds me of the range of possibilities out there. The more interactions, the less we stay inside our own heads. The more sources you tap into adds up to a greater sum amount of support, and brings different perspectives. And if any one of those sources fails, the hit is lighter because you have other places to go to. E.g., forums like this, support groups, meetup.com groups of people in your area with similar interests just looking to get together, a brief talk with a passerby also inclined to chat...
You not only learn new ideas and impart some of yours, but also find that your issues are common- not to minimize them, but there's comfort in knowing it's the state of humanity- you're reminded you're not alone but in fact are on schedule with the rest.

A shift in scenery also helps a lot. Leaving town is great if you're at that juncture as you advised Atlguy (I am there, but have a hard time ungluing despite the fact that I am in a very toxic place and must leave...). If you are needing to stay where you are though then even a day trip, or something simple as stepping out to a coffee shop with a good book. A change of scenery, even a slight one, feels like you hit the refresh button.

Remember the inevitability of ebb & flow. The evidence of this is all around us in nature- rivers, seasons, plants, natural land conversions...
And human life changes on a dime, you never know what's around the corner. Knowing that change is not only likely, it is guaranteed, brings relief and hope. And while it doesn't eradicate the past, some of those events are thankfully to be superseded be new ones.

Keep in mind that you have a purpose. I am an animal person also, and that keeps me going if nothing else. There are not many with the animal protectionist mindset, so you really have to stick around for them. i was in a slump a few weeks ago, then got called to help with an animal who had been diagnosed with an illness - just to do some research, networking for support etc. On that 'project' for a few days, I went into a different space- forgot my stuff, and felt useful. i remember thinking is this how people with children feel, is this having a clear mission what helps them get by? I think so. When it was over I slumped back again. I think we need to feel meaningful somehow.

Try to take from as many resources as you can - diversify your support base. I don't know that any one component provides the answer, but they do all add up in a sneaky sort of way. Then one moment, sooner than you may think, you will find that you have turned a new corner again.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:36 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times
Todd, great advice ^^^^. There is not much more I could add to it.

(((HUGS))) The "dry spells" of life are so difficult to get through. Sounds to me as if you have hit such a valley and it is pouring without an end in sight. Get into a boat and hang on with all your might, and as you do, focus on how you are going to steer that boat out of that downpour. You can do it. Most of us have been where you are right now, and no, it is not easy to get out of. But when you do, and I am saying WHEN, you will feel so much better about who you are and you will find yourself a whole lot stronger inside for this experience.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:27 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Oh so true...the dog paddle is very familiar to me. I remember feeling like I was: not living but not quite dying~just keeping my head above water....

Sorry you feel so down. Hope circumstances improve for you.

And: we here understand~

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
You might know the feeling, like you are so fragile that one more thing and that's it. I'm a house of cards, no glue just hanging there by a thread. A myriad of situational things pouring like a storm with a only a leaky umbrella, alone and with no end in sight. It's awfully hard on people with serious depression to weather this kind of storm. And no Doc is going to pull a loyal friend out of his hat to help ya bail out the boat. Meds can be helpful to stabilize the cards to some degree, if ones lucky enough to have a working remedy. Without either, it feels like you're doing the dog paddle and only getting more worn down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health