U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2011, 11:25 AM

155 posts, read 197,104 times
Default My 1st appt w/ a therapist tonight, help

Hi all,

I have an appointment with a therapist tonight after work..can someone give me some advice on what to expect?

Some background..I started seeing a counselor through my work EAP for various issues..the issues have begun to demolish my mental health and she referred me to a therapist..can therapists help with medications? She had about a billion initials after her name so I googled them and they mean she has the highest degree a therapist can have, a PDd.

I'm just scared..am I supposed to just start talking about myself when I get there, or maybe take an assessment or something? I know I'm overthinking the whole thing as that is one of my issues..anxiety out the wazzoo,

thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 12:18 PM

1,813 posts, read 640,852 times
Don't worry, I know that is oversimplifying it but really, you get to decide how you want to start (aside from intake information). You can share what is bothering you, what you have been discussing with your counselor through your work EAP.

I am glad you are getting help, getting support. Best wishes to you!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:04 PM

155 posts, read 197,104 times
thanks..I'm just nervous and not feeling it for some reason today. I just want to go home and crawl into bed and hide under the covers..

Old 07-05-2011, 02:12 PM

93 posts, read 105,313 times
[quote=Adoptstrays;19883883]Hi all,

I have an appointment with a therapist tonight after work..can someone give me some advice on what to expect?

Some background..I started seeing a counselor through my work EAP for various issues..the issues have begun to demolish my mental health and she referred me to a therapist..can therapists help with medications? She had about a billion initials after her name so I googled them and they mean she has the highest degree a therapist can have, a PDd.

I'm just scared..am I supposed to just start talking about myself when I get there, or maybe take an assessment or something? I know I'm overthinking the whole thing as that is one of my issues..anxiety out the wazzoo,

thanks.[/QUOTE

Only a medical doctor can prescribe medications.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:21 PM

4,847 posts, read 5,024,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoptstrays View Post
thanks..I'm just nervous and not feeling it for some reason today. I just want to go home and crawl into bed and hide under the covers..
Naaaaaaaaa......
You don't wanna do that. Go ahead and get it over with.
From what I understand, it's enjoyable after time to talk stuff through.
Look at it this way: your already doing better than most people just by going!
More people should do what your doing.
GOOD FOR YOU!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 PM

1,829 posts, read 1,331,483 times
O.K. NOT to freak you out BUT, I have an entirely different take on the Whole EAP thing. Can you DM me. It's not a public conversation.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:33 PM

16,279 posts, read 29,912,234 times
S/he will have a style of therapy. If you don't feel it is right for you, after 2-3 sessions you can find someone else. Some therapists are cognitive-behavioral and will be more direct; they may assign homework to practice something you are working on. Some practice acceptance and commitment therapy; they will help you deal, identify areas of importance, and commit to change. Some are analytical and will discuss dreams and early childhood issues. There are other approaches as well.

Let the therapist guide you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Traditional therapy can be very helpful BUT OP has a bigger issue than mental health right now.

Company EAP.

The OP needs are not the same as the companies' needs.

EAP as I have seen it presented and used, is not, in my opinion, a program designed to get you healthy it is a program..... Oh how to put this? wisely.

It is not mandatory, so you don't have to participate.

Are the lines, large enough to read between?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:38 PM

93 posts, read 105,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Traditional therapy can be very helpful BUT OP has a bigger issue than mental health right now.

Company EAP.

The OP needs are not the same as the companies' needs.

EAP as I have seen it presented and used, is not, in my opinion, a program designed to get you healthy it is a program..... Oh how to put this? wisely.

It is not mandatory, so you don't have to participate.

Are the lines, large enough to read between?
The company has their own agenda, which may or may not be beneficial to the employee.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:50 PM

Well put. Even after All this time it stills makes me paranoid! to even talk out loud about it, and I wasn't harmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health