U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2011, 05:30 PM
 
326 posts, read 469,093 times
Reputation: 185

Advertisements

I feel so worthless and hopeless, waste of space. What is the point of living anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2011, 05:46 PM
 
284 posts, read 365,125 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
What is the point of living anymore?
I struggle with that very question every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2011, 05:48 PM
 
Location: The High Seas
5,763 posts, read 7,298,542 times
Reputation: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I feel so worthless and hopeless, waste of space. What is the point of living anymore?
SuicideHotlines.com - When You Feel You Can't Go On -- Let Someone Know Your Pain.
Give a call. They're there because they like what they do and want to offer help.
Life is suffering, but it's got potentiality in meaningfulness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 PM
 
20,336 posts, read 16,609,173 times
Reputation: 14432
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I feel so worthless and hopeless, waste of space. What is the point of living anymore?
If you'd care to elaborate we may be able to give you some viable advice.
This is the second thread in 2 days thats dealing with some one who feels that the greatest gift one can be bestowed with (Life) finds it not worth the energy to keep going is this a new trend in American hopelessness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2011, 10:49 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
15,986 posts, read 5,008,760 times
Reputation: 9595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post


Life is suffering, but it's got potentiality in meaningfulness.
That sentence speaks volumes of wisdom. It is the very essence of Buddhist philosophy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2011, 11:41 PM
 
4,561 posts, read 4,169,756 times
Reputation: 5172
I have my damaged feet propped up right now, and my Spine (Spinal injury) is hurting and causing my head to hurt so bad I am having a hard time concentrating to do my studying. (Suffering through classical music for a test tomorrow)


I'm LOTS better off than a buddy of mine who got blown up by a mortar round and is in a wheelchair.

Or another with serious (unlike mine) back/spinal problems. (IED)

Or another who DID commit suicide and DEVASTATED his family (He was also blown up, back, shoulder and brain damage)

Or another who went nutz and had a armed standoff with the cops and is now 'under the jail'



SO:

What's so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,685 posts, read 9,001,621 times
Reputation: 9353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I struggle with that very question every day.
And yet I'm glad you're both still here. We need you--you guys have work to do--you've got to get started right away to make this planet a better place. And them's not just words either--I want both of you--you and tweety--to go out and find someone to do something nice for or do something for them that they need. If you don't have any neighbors to take something to, call a senior center or a foster center or something similar and give someone a ride, or even just listen to someone. Just do it once. Heck, if you still want to commit suicide and are going to insist on such a permanent solution, then at least do something nice for someone before you go. But I have the feeling that you won't want to go after that because you'll realize that we need you.

I like snort's saying too: Life is suffering, but it's got potentiality in meaningfulness. There's a world of meaning in that, and it's too true that life is suffering. It's supposed to be that way and you're supposed to be learning from your suffering and helping others to alleviate theirs. Why add to it by checking out?

Oops, you got me on a wordy day. I like to read about history and I've thought of some historical examples of extreme suffering if you need some perspective--I'm not sure if this will help you, but it doesn't hurt to remind ourselves that things aren't so bad here.

*I'd hate to have been a Jew in Germany during the Holocaust. Or a gypsy in Poland either.
*Women and men used to get burned at the stake for suspicion of witchcraft and at times it didn't take much.
*Families used to lose many children doe to childhood diseases--sometimes 4 in one week. I would want to die if I lost even one, but 4? Such heartache I can't even imagine.
*Imagine being a member of the Donner party. . . and then having to live with that for the rest of your life.
*Vladimir the Impaler used to impale his enemies on sharpened wooden stakes and then leave them out to die, which could take days sometimes.
*And nowadays, I'd hate to be watching my child starve to death in Somalia or living in Haiti right now. Or a soldier who lost his youth to a war that he doesn't believe in. (That's not entirely directed at you Manwithnoname, b/c I have no idea what you thought of the war, but imagine how much worse it is if you didn't believe in what you were doing.)

Well I could go on, but I think we all get the point. Despite all of those examples, social isolation can be the worst, but we've got to reach out during those times. I know--I've been entirely without friends at times and it hurts, esp if you're actively rejected, but the good thing about life is that it changes and gets better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2011, 04:42 PM
 
Location: zone 5
6,401 posts, read 5,545,865 times
Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I feel so worthless and hopeless, waste of space. What is the point of living anymore?
Tweety, I know you can't find your direction right now. But you just don't know where life will take you, you can't even imagine. It's a long and winding road, to borrow a phrase from a song, with lots of unexpected turns. I've been trying to tell my daughter that for years, when she felt so hopeless. She's suffered from major depression for a long time. She's lacked direction, low self esteem, couldn't find work, falling out with old friends, so many things. Now some things have turned around for her that she never thought would get better. She's feeling more positive than she has in a long time. I kept telling her, but she wouldn't, couldn't, believe me.
I've been there too, lots of us have. When you're in it you can't see past it, but someday you'll have a life that is beyond what you can see now. It may take longer than you'd like but it will happen. Just hang in there. Don't give up on yourself. We're behind you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Status: "Sorry looks back, worry looks around, faith looks up." (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Outside 1604
1,621 posts, read 1,458,857 times
Reputation: 2717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
SuicideHotlines.com - When You Feel You Can't Go On -- Let Someone Know Your Pain.
Give a call. They're there because they like what they do and want to offer help.
Life is suffering, but it's got potentiality in meaningfulness.
Has anyone on the MH board EVER called a suicide hotline? What was your experience? Some young trainee that has not a clue what they are doing, and perhaps doesn't care? I would want a professional in MH on my call, someone who could give me advice that would/could work for me, and who would be proficient in referring me if necessary, to a hospital,psych ward, or counselor in my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,078 posts, read 677,075 times
Reputation: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
And yet I'm glad you're both still here. We need you--you guys have work to do--you've got to get started right away to make this planet a better place. And them's not just words either--I want both of you--you and tweety--to go out and find someone to do something nice for or do something for them that they need. If you don't have any neighbors to take something to, call a senior center or a foster center or something similar and give someone a ride, or even just listen to someone. Just do it once. Heck, if you still want to commit suicide and are going to insist on such a permanent solution, then at least do something nice for someone before you go. But I have the feeling that you won't want to go after that because you'll realize that we need you.

I like snort's saying too: Life is suffering, but it's got potentiality in meaningfulness. There's a world of meaning in that, and it's too true that life is suffering. It's supposed to be that way and you're supposed to be learning from your suffering and helping others to alleviate theirs. Why add to it by checking out?

Oops, you got me on a wordy day. I like to read about history and I've thought of some historical examples of extreme suffering if you need some perspective--I'm not sure if this will help you, but it doesn't hurt to remind ourselves that things aren't so bad here.

*I'd hate to have been a Jew in Germany during the Holocaust. Or a gypsy in Poland either.
*Women and men used to get burned at the stake for suspicion of witchcraft and at times it didn't take much.
*Families used to lose many children doe to childhood diseases--sometimes 4 in one week. I would want to die if I lost even one, but 4? Such heartache I can't even imagine.
*Imagine being a member of the Donner party. . . and then having to live with that for the rest of your life.
*Vladimir the Impaler used to impale his enemies on sharpened wooden stakes and then leave them out to die, which could take days sometimes.
*And nowadays, I'd hate to be watching my child starve to death in Somalia or living in Haiti right now. Or a soldier who lost his youth to a war that he doesn't believe in. (That's not entirely directed at you Manwithnoname, b/c I have no idea what you thought of the war, but imagine how much worse it is if you didn't believe in what you were doing.)

Well I could go on, but I think we all get the point. Despite all of those examples, social isolation can be the worst, but we've got to reach out during those times. I know--I've been entirely without friends at times and it hurts, esp if you're actively rejected, but the good thing about life is that it changes and gets better.
Everything Stepka said ^^

All I can add is that I just found this thread and I was glad to see you still around Bson. How's it going ? Better I hope.

And Tweetybird....please keep posting and talking to us. I've been through some serious pain myself and if all we can do here is listen to each other than I hope that can help each of us who is hurting..at least a little.

Also, there is nothing wrong with you. You are a unique individual who deserves love and happiness the same as anybody else. I sincerely hope that no one in your life is trying to make you feel otherwise. (((hugs)))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top