U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2012, 12:58 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,646,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think holidays are over rated, and made to look all "warm and fuzzy" on tv now. So, people who don't have the perfect family, and holiday feel like it is less. Rather than appreciating what a holiday really is, to just be with the family you have. Or celebrate just having a day off of work, or whatever. This Thanksgiving, I was with my daughter, we made a small turkey breast, and just enjoyed being with each other.
Yup. We are a mobile society and move many times during a lifetime. Many of us are away from relatives and good friends. I guess the secret is to downplay the holiday and emphasize what you do have.

Frankly, the whole choosing your friends but not your relatives applied in my case.

The only way I've ever gotten through a holiday with family (as a kid) was to keep everything very superficial and dull. Very boring, so we end up getting fat and drinking too much, maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 PM

18,868 posts, read 16,018,212 times
Ha, as a child, my family owned a business...holidays meant "work", and about 12-14 hours of it. Every holiday was going to work...because for some stupid reason, the employees wanted the day off...I was bussing tables, and doing dishes by age 10, cashiering by age 12, bartending by age 18. That was our "family" holiday...gotta love it. At least working for your family gives you a good work ethic.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:11 AM

3 posts, read 1,454 times
Awesome,...
I am really enjoy to the holidays.I am a going to the long
drive with the friends and we will full fully enjoy.After a long
full fully enjoy.After a long driving we reached on the beach
and will fishing.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ha, as a child, my family owned a business...holidays meant "work", and about 12-14 hours of it. Every holiday was going to work...because for some stupid reason, the employees wanted the day off...I was bussing tables, and doing dishes by age 10, cashiering by age 12, bartending by age 18. That was our "family" holiday...gotta love it. At least working for your family gives you a good work ethic.
I knew a Greek family who did that. The entire family was working hard, which surprised me because a lot of American kids would really object to such a demand on their time.

They amassed a nice fortune and went back to Greece to retire early and live like kings.

I put myself through college, which was a struggle because the nights I was not at school I was working overtime. I enjoyed Liberal Arts, but chose business courses out of necessity. Weekends were spent mostly studying. Frankly, I really envy my contemporaries who went to school days and boarded there and could major in something meaningful and have some sort of social life.

Yes, you have a good work ethic (and probably would not wish to change the experience, looking back) but do you sometimes admire people who had a lot more free time to socialize in their youth?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:14 AM

8,020 posts, read 8,377,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I knew a Greek family who did that. The entire family was working hard, which surprised me because a lot of American kids would really object to such a demand on their time.

They amassed a nice fortune and went back to Greece to retire early and live like kings.

I put myself through college, which was a struggle because the nights I was not at school I was working overtime. I enjoyed Liberal Arts, but chose business courses out of necessity. Weekends were spent mostly studying. Frankly, I really envy my contemporaries who went to school days and boarded there and could major in something meaningful and have some sort of social life.

Yes, you have a good work ethic (and probably would not wish to change the experience, looking back) but do you sometimes admire people who had a lot more free time to socialize in their youth?
Boy, thats the truth. The one thing I miss the most is not enjoying my youth very much no collage experience or fun times as so many did. I never seemed to have time to relax or enjoy the " youth years" , always too busy with work. Except for a few years in my middle twenties, I have always been my own,demanding boss ! It was 7 days a week. Always self employed . I did have a splendid time in my 30s however being flush with cash, living the single life to the limit....

The real point however is you can never get back the lost years of your youth, I see that so very clear now at 70, just an unhappy grumpy old man ! I used to think time stood still, could not wait to be older and Gain respect that age brings in the business world,, now I wish time would slow down,. I dream of my productive years with envy. I worry now of mortality all the time, and of the things i can no longer do so well or so long ...the years I wish I could live over again.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:33 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,757,714 times
My father was an extrovert and my mother was a drama queen, so holidays at our house meant three-day family-and-friend parties, and my mother alternately locking herself in her room or being an unbearable 'witch' if she came out. So I was the hostess; learned to cook by the age of 10, could set up the volleyball court, ice down the drinks, and marinade the BBQ, etc.

As a young married adult, we always had the huge holiday meals at our house, with neighbors and family 'dropping in' - I cooked for a week ahead of time and loved it.

Now the kids are grown and gone, and DH and I moved 1700 miles to a place where there are no family and a few new friends. Our holidays are quiet; we eat whatever we want and do as we please.

One year we went to ID to visit my brother and cross-country ski. That Christmas Eve we were down at the local bar with strangers in a blizzard, having a wonderful time! The next day we drove to our son's house in Las Vegas, and he and his friends ordered in Chinese and played role-playing games. It was fun and crazy.

I don't miss hosting the parties, but sometimes I have to figure out what to do with all of the frequent cookies and other holiday creations that I still sometimes go overboard and make!

Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Boy, thats the truth. The one thing I miss the most is not enjoying my youth very much no collage experience or fun times as so many did. I never seemed to have time to relax or enjoy the " youth years" , always too busy with work. Except for a few years in my middle twenties, I have always been my own,demanding boss ! It was 7 days a week. Always self employed . I did have a splendid time in my 30s however being flush with cash, living the single life to the limit....

The real point however is you can never get back the lost years of your youth, I see that so very clear now at 70, just an unhappy grumpy old man ! I used to think time stood still, could not wait to be older and Gain respect that age brings in the business world,, now I wish time would slow down,. I dream of my productive years with envy. I worry now of mortality all the time, and of the things i can no longer do so well or so long ...the years I wish I could live over again.
What I think I lost was a sort of social ease, an acceptance and interaction with people who like to talk just to pass the time. I don't take life as lightly as I should. I do not laugh as easily as others.

You know, life should not be just one, big chore. There should be a lot of fun in it, too. I think I am just now learning things that I should have at a much earlier age.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
What I think I lost was a sort of social ease, an acceptance and interaction with people who like to talk just to pass the time. I don't take life as lightly as I should. I do not laugh as easily as others.

You know, life should not be just one, big chore. There should be a lot of fun in it, too. I think I am just now learning things that I should have at a much earlier age.
Being happy is the most important thing in your life. It trumps all, it has no compatision . Life is short, you only get one shot.......use it like tomorrow may be your last! There is no reason for any of us to be unhappy, depression is the most common ailment known., there is real help out there,however it still starts and ends within ones self.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 5 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,031,864 times
My father was a sociopath, probably with sadistic tendencies, and he always had major meltdowns on the holidays. It was a nightmare. By my late teens I had already had traumatic and life-altering things happen that most people never experience. For that reason I learned to enjoy the quiet - or bustling - of holidays, whichever was happening due to circumstances. I simply counted my blessings and was thankful that I no longer had to deal with the tyrant. I fell in with a tyrant of my own but got rid of him as soon as I could. And I've certainly wasted the past 14 years with the wrong guy so I have to make up for lost time. I savor every bit of happiness that I can find!

I learned early on that being bitter is only stopping me from enjoying the moment. Right now, I could be wishing I were younger and whiling the time away on misspent moments, or I could be making memories, choosing to be happy. Five years from now, all of us could be ruing the time we wasted complaining. I choose to let it go and enjoy the moment I have right now.

Onward to Memorial Day! Now that is probably my least favorite holiday!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
My father was a sociopath, probably with sadistic tendencies, and he always had major meltdowns on the holidays. It was a nightmare. By my late teens I had already had traumatic and life-altering things happen that most people never experience. For that reason I learned to enjoy the quiet - or bustling - of holidays, whichever was happening due to circumstances. I simply counted my blessings and was thankful that I no longer had to deal with the tyrant. I fell in with a tyrant of my own but got rid of him as soon as I could. And I've certainly wasted the past 14 years with the wrong guy so I have to make up for lost time. I savor every bit of happiness that I can find!

I learned early on that being bitter is only stopping me from enjoying the moment. Right now, I could be wishing I were younger and whiling the time away on misspent moments, or I could be making memories, choosing to be happy. Five years from now, all of us could be ruing the time we wasted complaining. I choose to let it go and enjoy the moment I have right now.

Onward to Memorial Day! Now that is probably my least favorite holiday!
Thats most likely because you live in the South. True southerners do not recognize memorial day, or as we called it when I was a kid. " decoration day". labor day is another one, most locales are working like it was just another day. Not the same as for the Fourth of July....they fly proudly the rebel flag from any spot that's available, often on poles attached to their pick-up trucks. Around and around they would go thru the middle of the square showing their colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health