Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:33 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Very true! And a lesson I learned the hard way at age 29. I had cancer at 29 (lymphoma). Two big lessons - you can do everything "right" and still get cancer, and the no matter what you plan for yourself, life sometimes smacks you upside the head and gets in your way

Something like 90% of lung cancer is smoking related, but the majority of smokers do not get lung cancer (one source). Maybe they die from something else first, or maybe they are just lucky. But still, smoking in not a guaranteed death sentence.

I'm kind of curious about the Japan statistic. Makes me wonder about the role of radon. Is there radon in Japan? Non-smokers get lung cancer too (I know of 3 personally, and 2 famous), and radon is the second leading cause of lung cancersource). I wonder if anything in Japan or the US can be explained by some linking of radon and smoking? hmm
Rubytue,

I hope that you are recovered and healthy.... Jeannie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 10:03 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Jeanie216, I "think" it was in one of those medical magazines . But I have read in other places online. And I also have Dr. friends that believe that's pretty true. Of course not everything we read is true...that is why I said "rumor". I should have also added in my post that just because you may live many years--quantity of life---smoking and any other bad habits definately could make the qualtity of a persons life much less desirable. I smoke..I hate it. I do not smoke around others or especially children and pets. Hopefully soon I can break this nasty habit. I am working at it right now!!

Old 09-01-2007, 10:30 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Jeanie216, I "think" it was in one of those medical magazines . But I have read in other places online. And I also have Dr. friends that believe that's pretty true. Of course not everything we read is true...that is why I said "rumor". I should have also added in my post that just because you may live many years--quantity of life---smoking and any other bad habits definately could make the qualtity of a persons life much less desirable. I smoke..I hate it. I do not smoke around others or especially children and pets. Hopefully soon I can break this nasty habit. I am working at it right now!!
cynwldkat, I wish you good luck with quitting. I do think though some doctors would like us to believe that genes have a big role in things, but personally, if a 60 year old man is dying from lung cancer, and smoked all his life, no one is going to convince me that he would have died from it anyway whether he smoked or not, that is just silly, but again IMO. I guess I feel that I want to do everything in my power to prevent disease, and if something gets me anyway, at least I gave it my all. I think we all have our demons though, mine is sugar.. and it is a daily struggle to remove it from my life, but I'm working on it. Jeannie

P.S. How about acupuncture with the smoking?

Old 09-01-2007, 11:51 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Thumbs up Some chemicals are bad for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Rumor is....you can do anything and everything to keep healthy but around 85% of a persons helath is strictly genes!!!
I agree! However what affects our genes that we pass on? Vietnam vets have a very high percentage of child birth defects and health problems for their children. This has been identified in the studies in history. The 1st Iraq was over 10 years ago ~ provided another set of problems and bad health genes for their children being born. Due to service related chemicals being used in the wars!

The point is that our genes are being affected and we are passing on health problems for the future. Anytime we expose ourselves to chemicals that are unnatural we are affected and we pass on bad genes. Our environment we are surrounded by is killing our children and ourselves.

Getting back to nature and a natural way of life (as much as possible) is the only way to improve our overall lives.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:10 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I agree....the drugs/chemicals etc are affecting our genes, no doubt. And that is getting passed on to our innocent children...very sad. I also agree that going back to nature is probably the best thing we can do. But even the air we breath is full of chemicals. Guess we can just do the best we can. And Jeanie, I have not tried any methods to stop smoking. Although I did stop for 5 years while pregnant and nursing my now grown children. So I know I CAN do it. Cutting back doesn't seem to help me I just have to quit!! I seem to always come up with an excuse as to why I can't do it right now---but it is only and excuse!! I have to "want" to do it badly enough. And you know what...it's getting to that point. I hate the smell, I hate the way it looks, I hate my house smelling like cigarettes, and I hate that I am harming my body that I know I should be taking better care of. So why do I still smoke---addiction! I am a strong person and I promise I'll be putting a post up soon that says I've quit!! That I am sure of!

Old 09-01-2007, 02:33 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I think it's interesting that a lot of people up until very recent times didn't normally live to such ripe old ages as medical technology has advanced.

From an evolutionary viewpoint....someone with the genes such that they are likely to get cancer as they age...wouldn't really be weeded out as they'd most likely have died earlier.

For example, lets say there was a gene where you died at age 50 like clockwork. (Judging by people at my company....heartattack is a close description of this. :-( ) This type of condition would not keep you from passing on your genes and in a lot of human history would not have shortened your life.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:35 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
think.reciprocity

Sorry to hear about the early death of your father. I can relate to that quite well. My mother, although she certaily wasn't a health nut, lived a pretty clean life, but she died of colon cancer at age 62. Way to young in my opinion. There are obvioulsy things going on that we just can't fathom.

blessings....Franco

Same to you... MUWAH!!!

Old 09-01-2007, 03:09 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,961 times
simple rule. Stay away from synthetic chemicals ........ prescription drugs, pesticides, all Chinese products, cigarettes, treated lumber, McDonalds, Coca Cola

Stay away from metals...... Aluminum in deodorants, Mercury in fish and broken fluorescent light bulbs, cadmium in cigarettes, arsenic in chicken (Google; chicken arsenic and read), copper from pipes, squid, venison, lead in painted Chinese products (pre-painted doors at Home Depot) and toys.

It works !

P S , Keep your colon clean!

Old 09-01-2007, 11:08 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,183 times
Smoking doesn't cause heart disease or cancer. Its a myth.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:10 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Smoking doesn't cause heart disease or cancer. Its a myth.

Right, just like the holocaust never happened!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health