Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:57 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,823,851 times

Advertisements

Just this from a long-term user of mental health meds....

I too did not want to remain on medications for an extended time but finally realized that doing just that is best for me. If it takes long-term meds and/or therapy, so what?

Revisit your psych team and if meds are prescribed again....well, we MUST do what works. Absolutely nothing is more important for us than identifying the best options and using them to obtain a less angst-filled life.....and a degree of happiness we have long missed.

Rooting for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,328,798 times
I think you need to identify some positive long term goals, and start working towards them. At some point, therapy does nothing but just keep you in the same place. At some point you need to just get a life. Maybe get a job, go to school, start doing something positive for your life.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:44 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,134,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think you need to identify some positive long term goals, and start working towards them. At some point, therapy does nothing but just keep you in the same place. At some point you need to just get a life. Maybe get a job, go to school, start doing something positive for your life.
Um...I go to school FULL TIME. I am in Nursing school taking 17 credit hours. I also work a part-time job at my hospital. So before you tell to "get a life" maybe you should ask before you assume I'm doing nothing with myself.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,134,174 times
To everyone else, thank you for your replies. I'm thinking about talking to my psychiatrist to see if she can find some alternative programs out there for me. DBT is okay, but it has been over four months, and I have seen any drastic improvements. I hope she can find something else there for me.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:21 AM

26,688 posts, read 26,732,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
I'm thinking about talking to my psychiatrist to see if she can find some alternative programs out there for me.
There was a long article in Time magazine about BPD a couple of years ago and how DBT is only sometimes effective. I agree about trying something else. My niece, close to your age, also has BPD and it's something she struggles with.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 PM

663 posts, read 1,081,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime;
To everyone else, thank you for your replies. I'm thinking about talking to my psychiatrist to see if she can find some alternative programs out there for me. DBT is okay, but it has been over four months, and I have seen any drastic improvements. I hope she can find something else there for me.

Thanks!
Great, I hope you find something that works for you .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health