Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:52 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Maybe she got a cramp and needed to go home and use the toilet. Who knows.

I don't thing that telling lies, whatever they may be, is a healthy normal and legal part of professional conduct.

It is certainly not a part of a therapeutic relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
The most un-nerving part of my story regarding this shrink was that he began to reveal who he had treated - One of his former patients was the sister of the person I was having the legal exchange with...Not only was this doctor nuts - he also breached the privledge of confidentiality...To bad that the profession is not dominated by the big pharma - I am sure there must have been a time if a person was having problems and was seeking help - that there were persons who were wise - intelligent - highly trained who would actually assist in focusing on the difficulty and offer real and valuable advice on a matter............................

Now whether it is an MD or a shrink - most are robotic and self serving....I had one incident when I walked into a clinic and had a 1 minute conversation with one of these "doctor's with out boarders" types...She after...59 and one have minutes - blurted "There are some very good compounds that you can take" ----------This was bizzare - this idot - who knew nothing of me was ready to alter my brain chemistry.. Well - now I have a very good MD - trained in America who is from Borneo...He understands our system..and holds it in quiet contempt... He is protective - wise and knows that it is difficult sometimes surviving in an artififical world that is money driven - so he quietly takes my side and sends along information to others...that make my life easier..and better - He is old school..and not about being a millionare at the expense of others.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:50 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
OK for those of you that have brought up the possibility that there could have been an earth quake, or that the men working on the huge freight elevator might have made the room vibrate, I have the following things to say - 1. Acting alarmed in a therapy session in never appropriate. As the professional, her first job was MY SAFETY. She is not there to "freak me out", to put it mildly and to date myself. She did not frighten me. I was more perplexed than anything.
Also, the session was attenuated by her bizarre behavior. I never received a phone call to reschedule - or apologize - or anything.
2. Even though Gas Fracking (which she is full in favor of, by the way) has been responsible for some tremors in PA and OH, it's far from normative - yet. In other words, few people would jump to the idea that a mild vibration felt in ones living room in PA is an "earthquake" - more likely a large truck passing by or a road crew repairing some rotting rust belt infrastructure.

3.Also who is she? A human seismograph? A vibration felt only to HER, was immediately thought by her to be an earthquake? Not is NOT the most obvious explanation!

4. If it were an earthquake, her obligations would be to keep me calm and safe and evacuate if needed and if possible. Other wise to wait for the building to collapse and die practicing her profession! Really an actual earthquake is only going to go one of two ways - either it will be a tremor and it will pass, or you will be hurt and die. That's it folks.

A happened to be in session with a therapist in NYC, when two masked men, twice the size of the therapist, came in and demanded drugs and money. He calmly gave the men his wallet, all the while calming down my friend (i.e. continuing to WORK)
It sounds to me like you're no longer the person who would have apologized for the earthquake and that you have more sense than your therapist. Are you sure you still need therapy?

Weird story but funny--funny b/c you weren't hurt by it, but think if someone had been at the end of their rope and that would have happened?

Old 01-29-2012, 05:09 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
I wouldn't make so much of it but ask for a discount for that day. Chances are, she's been in earthquakes before and now has a phobia about them. A lot of people who have experienced or heard about them do. Especially these days when you hear of one happening nearly every day. Kind of has some people on edge. I'd wait and see how the next two or three sessions go. She's most likely professional enough to separate her and your political views from her work. Seriously. I doubt it has anything to do with that. Don't read too much into this. I'd probably have forgotten about it by dinner time.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:19 PM

Well there is more. Since the "non-earthquake" she attempted to set up a string of appointments with me for the new year! I never made these appointments, but she had her receptionist call to remind me of my "non-appointment"

Remember, I do not have insurance until February 1st.

I think that the session was truncated because she could not bear ther thought of working with me for less than her customary fee.

If that was the case, I would have accepted it and moved on.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
It sounds to me like you're no longer the person who would have apologized for the earthquake and that you have more sense than your therapist. Are you sure you still need therapy?

Weird story but funny--funny b/c you weren't hurt by it, but think if someone had been at the end of their rope and that would have happened?

No, I am not that person anymore. No thanks to this hack.

I am taking a break for a while. I do need to sort things out, and there are many changes ahead of me. Therapy has been useful in the past.

Thanks for noticing!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No, I am not that person anymore. No thanks to this hack.

I am taking a break for a while. I do need to sort things out, and there are many changes ahead of me. Therapy has been useful in the past.

Thanks for noticing!
Well I'm one of those "wee-woo" people who believe that the universe sends us signals when it's time to move on and this one is particularly poignant. Get out there and live your life--time's a wastin'!

Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 AM

156 posts, read 694,604 times
Did you fire her yet and move on with your life? Don't spend any more time thinking about her-- it is just dragging you down.

Send her a certified letter stating that you are terminating your relationship and you are not financially liable for any appointments past the date that the original earthquake incident. Tell her that you consider this matter closed.

If she responds with threats, contact a lawyer about your rights to sue under HIPAA violations. You have no insurance? Too bad, insurance companies love people who report doctors for submitting claims that are fraudulent. Auditors love it too! No matter, you may still have civil recourse.

I hope you find a new therapist soon and can begin building a new relationship.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:02 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Ask her about it in your next session.
I am shocked that it took 19 responses before someone suggested this course of action. This incident clearly had a profound impact for you. I don't think you will be able to move forward with this therapist, until you address this with her. If you are not capable or willing to share your feelings with your therapist, then it is certainly time to look elsewhere.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
I am shocked that it took 19 responses before someone suggested this course of action. This incident clearly had a profound impact for you. I don't think you will be able to move forward with this therapist, until you address this with her. If you are not capable or willing to share your feelings with your therapist, then it is certainly time to look elsewhere.
That was discussed but the OP doesn't want to spend one penny more to see this doc and I can't say as I blame her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health