Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,991,190 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that you won't talk with the therapist about this event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 11:37 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,832,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I find it interesting that you won't talk with the therapist about this event.
It's not "interesting" ... it's the wise and skilfully thing to do ... to simply disengage.
She should not waste one more ounce of her energy (financially or emotionally or intellectually) with the therapist.
A client should not be processing the unhealthy and/or unprofessional behavior of the therapist.
Not only did the therapist exhibit unprofessional behavior due to the shaking that she perceived but the therapist shares confidential information about her clients with the receptionist.
That's not only unprofessional but it's unethical.
Someone litigious could sue her.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,134,660 times
i agree sounds a bit strange. my favorite lock down psych ward joke
the reason doctors wear uniforms is so u can tell who is patient and who is doctor.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 PM

23,885 posts, read 32,184,034 times
I do feel better without that $170 bill each week.

And I checked, there was no earthquake activity on that day. So, either she is a complete whack job, or she could not live with the idea that for three short weeks I would be paying a reduced fee, until my new insurance kicked in, OR I am the absolute most boring person on earth and she just HAD to get the hell out of there at that very second.

I really think it's the second one. Pure self serving capitalism with out a trace of compassion.

I do want to see someone else, but for now, I am taking a break.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 AM

593 posts, read 1,408,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Marcellus Shale and Fracking in PA
There are more than a few articles about how the oilwell fracking is affecting the environment. Maybe she did feel tremors.
Maybe her conservative viewpoints were crumbling due to fracking in the Marcellus Shale. One can hope!

Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 AM

23,885 posts, read 32,184,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
Maybe her conservative viewpoints were crumbling due to fracking in the Marcellus Shale. One can hope!

Very funny! Now there's a film out called "Promised Land" that deals with the issue of fracking in PA.

A few updates. We are moving out of state. I have not found another therapist in this area. However, I did see her one other time.

I asked her and she insisted that she did feel an earth quake and there was one that day - although I checked and there was not one. She was especially smug that day.

Also I noticed something strange about her hair and when I asked if she was growing her hair long she said "It's a wig - I have breast cancer."

I told her how sorry I was and asked how she was feeling.

She was abrupt and said "Oh there is no need to feel sorry. I feel fine!"
There was an almost defiant tone in the way she said that. I truley do wish her well, but I am never going to see this woman again.

As for myself, when we move I have decided to complete my M.A. I had begun it back in NY eight years ago, and due to the move and other upheavals, I was unable to complete it, and no college in my area of PA offers it.

As for therapy, I'm not sure. I may look for someone after my move. I hope I am more lucky in OH than I was in PA.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 AM

15,798 posts, read 21,314,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Very funny! Now there's a film out called "Promised Land" that deals with the issue of fracking in PA.

A few updates. We are moving out of state. I have not found another therapist in this area. However, I did see her one other time.

I asked her and she insisted that she did feel an earth quake and there was one that day - although I checked and there was not one. She was especially smug that day.

Also I noticed something strange about her hair and when I asked if she was growing her hair long she said "It's a wig - I have breast cancer."

I told her how sorry I was and asked how she was feeling.

She was abrupt and said "Oh there is no need to feel sorry. I feel fine!"
There was an almost defiant tone in the way she said that. I truley do wish her well, but I am never going to see this woman again.

As for myself, when we move I have decided to complete my M.A. I had begun it back in NY eight years ago, and due to the move and other upheavals, I was unable to complete it, and no college in my area of PA offers it.

As for therapy, I'm not sure. I may look for someone after my move. I hope I am more lucky in OH than I was in PA.
Oh, now it all makes sense! At least once a week during chemo, my legs would start to shake due to the neuropathy. If I didn't know any better, I would have been sure it was an earthquake! Thank goodness I don't live in California! It's also to the point where when I *did* feel a real earthquake (in Boston - fairly rare) recently, I waited until I could confirm that it was true before I told anyone.

Still very strange that she would INSIST on it...

Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,756,331 times
Many go into that field as they have mental issues themselves and are trying to dig deeper as to the whys and wherefors. As for the rest of it, it's a business, she will squeeze what she can out of you.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,932,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have been seeing a therapist for about a year in order to cope with changes in my life surrounding a move. I suffer from mixed symptoms of anxiety and depression. I have been seeing this woman (PhD) sice last November. I like her, and she is somewhat helpful, but we have significantly differing political outlooks. She is and arch Republican and social conservative, while I am a progressive liberal.

In spite of these differences, I thought that she understood me and was supportive of my attempts to rebuild my life in a new location.

Last session, something very strange happened. Right in the middle of a sentence, she interrupted me, with a sharp quick gasp "ahhhh! Did you feel that?" confused, I replied, "did I feel what?" I had felt or heard nothing. I attempted to continue the session and she again gasped and exclaimed "That! Did you feel it? It's an earthquake!"

I wasn't really sure what she wanted. I mean I live in PA not LA, and earth quakes are uncommon. The only time I had experienced an earth quake, I was in California, at a restaurant. I was the only person from the East coast and I took my cue from my SoCal lunch friends and went back to eating and talking.

This did not happen here. Suddenly she rushed out of the room and asked her receptionist if she had felt anything. The receptionist said "no. why?"
The therapist told the bewildered woman that there had been an earthquake! the receptionist almost never contradicts this woman, and is generally submissive, staid true to form.

I was and am not sure of "Earth quake protocol". I asked her what I was supposed to do. She said "Well go home!"

I walked out of the office still a bit stunned. at no point was I afraid of the "earth quake" What had just happened was surreal, a bit funny, yet annoying. My session was cut short. There had been no earth quake and no need for an emergency evacuation at all. Some work man were repairing a freight elevator in the hall. I asked them if they had heard anything unusual, and they said no, they were just working on this old elevator. I didn't want to say anything about an earth quake, since I was leaving someplace clearly marked "Psychology Offices."

Does anyone have any idea about what might have happened? My gut tells me that I need to shop for a new therapist.
If she thought that there was a tremor, or an earth quake, was that the right way to handle it? It just does not feel or seem right to me.

Your thoughts?
There was an earthquake in eastern Tennessee yesterday. When did what you describe occur?

Edit: I believe that occured at 7:30 AM eastern time, so I doubt you were at an appointment that early.

Last edited by MOKAN; 01-09-2013 at 05:35 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 02:13 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,408,632 times
Perhaps the elevator that was being serviced in the shaft began to shake? Seems reasonable to me. Depending on what the therapist is saying the the receptionist it could be considered unethical.
I would just never go back - finad a therapist that has similar political beliefs!
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health