Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:53 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
There was an earthquake in eastern Tennessee yesterday. When did what you describe occur?

Edit: I believe that occured at 7:30 AM eastern time, so I doubt you were at an appointment that early.
It happened about a year ago. See the date on the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 2,708 times
"...the receptionist almost never contradicts this woman, and is generally submissive..."

This is the reason why I think paid therapists are rubbish. Therapists treat support staff like servants. These people are very arrogant. As someone said here therapy is just a cashcow. Yes, ALL therapy is a business. How many therapists do you think would help people with their problems for free? I bet there are a lot of people who help people with their problems but don't charge, these are the real therapists. I've read quite a few articles that say therapists have no more skills than any other person. The only difference is therapists get qualifications and charge for it.

Here's an extract from one article that I found:
The best person to talk with about your problems in life usually is a good friend. It has been said, "Therapists are expensive friends." Likewise, friends are inexpensive "therapists". Contrary to popular belief, and contrary to propaganda by mental health professionals, the training of psychiatrists, psychologists, and other mental health professionals does little or nothing to make them better equipped as counselors or "therapists". It might seem logical for formal credentials like a Ph.D. in psychology or a psychiatrist's M.D. or D.O. degree or a social worker's M.S.W. degree to suggest a certain amount of competence on his or her part. The truth, however, is more often the opposite: In general, the less a person who is offering his or her services as a counselor has in the way of formal credentials, the more likely he or she is to be a good counselor, since such a counselor has only competence (not credentials) to stand on. Generally, the best person for you to talk with is a person who has worked himself or herself through the same problems you face in the nitty-gritty of life. You usually will benefit if you avoid the "professionals" who claim their value comes from their years of academic study or professional training.

The article goes on to say "What if you need information about how to solve a problem your family and friends can't help you with? In that case usually the best person for you to talk to is someone who has lived through or is living through the same problem you face. Sometimes a good way to find such people is attending meetings of a group organized to deal with the kind of problem you have"

Here's the link to the full article.

The Case Against Psychotherapy

A lot of people are getting disillusion with paid therapists and are turning to other solutions to help with life's problems. Please don't get what I am saying mixed up with people who have real mental illnesses.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:01 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristalexi View Post
"...the receptionist almost never contradicts this woman, and is generally submissive..."

This is the reason why I think paid therapists are rubbish. Therapists treat support staff like servants.
Please provide empirical research that backs up this claim.

The rest of your post is off-topic, and I don't feed trolls. I therefore shall not respond to it.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 PM

Seems I hit a nerve. It was on topic as I responded to something the OP referred to and expressed that there are other ways of people dealing with normal life problem. As for your proof, when people get me doing the most menial tasks and never speak to me (or any of the other support workers) as a human being this is being treated as a servant, not a co-worker. When a group of so-called professionals totally ignore and isolate another group of workers except to bark orders, this is not treating people with dignity and respect. Do with that what you will but the most important thing in this world freedom and any kind of prejudice, including, rankism, is against freedom. I could have gone off topic now.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM

486 posts, read 863,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Many go into that field as they have mental issues themselves and are trying to dig deeper as to the whys and wherefors. As for the rest of it, it's a business, she will squeeze what she can out of you.
[quote=Cristalexi;28743932]"...the receptionist almost never contradicts this woman, and is generally submissive..."

This is the reason why I think paid therapists are rubbish. Therapists treat support staff like servants. These people are very arrogant. As someone said here therapy is just a cashcow. Yes, ALL therapy is a business. How many therapists do you think would help people with their problems for free? I bet there are a lot of people who help people with their problems but don't charge, these are the real therapists. I've read quite a few articles that say therapists have no more skills than any other person. The only difference is therapists get qualifications and charge for it.

Here's an extract from one article that I found:
The best person to talk with about your problems in life usually is a good friend. It has been said, [i]"Therapists are expensive friends." Likewise, friends are inexpensive "therapists".

The article goes on to say "What if you need information about how to solve a problem your family and friends can't help you with? In that case usually the best person for you to talk to is someone who has lived through or is living through the same problem you face. Sometimes a good way to find such people is attending meetings of a group organized to deal with the kind of problem you have"

I've had friends and acquaintances who were therapists and they were JPN (just plain nuts).
There are times in peoples lives where they just need someone to talk to & I do think a good/true
best friend works well. The problem may be that someone moved away from their friends, or people who
you thought were friends weren't, illness drives people away,etc..
No therapist should ever bring up their politics or religion....that is a warning sign.
Although it is good advice to seek/search for a new therapist, that can be expensive since you have
to pay for every session. So if someone goes to a unacceptable one there's that fee, then they
try another one, there's another charge. I would never suggest therapists shouldn't get paid.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Aside from the "earthquake" that no one else felt, there is no reason a therapist should even tell you their political views. A good therapist acts as a blank slate for the patient to use to experience transference, etc. If the therapist reveals too much about them personally, that becomes impossible to do.

I would have found another therapist for that reason alone.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristalexi View Post
Seems I hit a nerve. It was on topic as I responded to something the OP referred to and expressed that there are other ways of people dealing with normal life problem. As for your proof, when people get me doing the most menial tasks and never speak to me (or any of the other support workers) as a human being this is being treated as a servant, not a co-worker. When a group of so-called professionals totally ignore and isolate another group of workers except to bark orders, this is not treating people with dignity and respect. Do with that what you will but the most important thing in this world freedom and any kind of prejudice, including, rankism, is against freedom. I could have gone off topic now.
I am the OP and you responded to NOTHING that I said.

My post was not a referendum on therapy - but a question as to the actions of this particular therapist.

She could have been a dentist or an accountant.

I believe in the efficacy of therapy - I do not see, nor do I recommend that therapist, although she holds a PhD from a University that you most likely have heard of.

They are not all quacks. This one was cheap. Plain and simple.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:12 PM

Well I am sorry my reply was not to your liking. So did you just want everybody to substantiate your claim that the therapist's actions were wrong but you didn't want anyone to express any other views or opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health