Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:07 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,725,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
If you have never watched Mystery Diagnosis watch them the next time they are on. All it takes sometimes is finding the Right Dr. to find out what it really is that is wrong. It does not mean you are un-fixable.

I have never heard of this show before, i will have to look it up for my area.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,436,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I have never heard of this show before, i will have to look it up for my area.
They are so interesting because it is adults/children that have something wrong some it takes years to diagnose but it just took that one Dr that figured it all out sadly not all think out of the box. A lot of times what the people have are rare which adds to the complication of diagnosis. I hope it is in your area or maybe you can watch them on the internet?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:15 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,725,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
They are so interesting because it is adults/children that have something wrong some it takes years to diagnose but it just took that one Dr that figured it all out sadly not all think out of the box. A lot of times what the people have are rare which adds to the complication of diagnosis. I hope it is in your area or maybe you can watch them on the internet?

Personally I don't know these people that have these problems keep going around to different doctors and all that. I dont know how they do it, i am sick of it and not going to do that anymore. I come to conclusion some people are defectives like of the species. I see here with a quick internet search, i can watch them on discovery.com. ty.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,436,701 times
Quote:
Personally I don't know these people that have these problems keep going around to different doctors and all that. I dont know how they do it, i am sick of it and not going to do that anymore. I come to conclusion some people are defectives like of the species. I see here with a quick internet search, i can watch them on discovery.com. ty.
I know it is frustrating and there are many more Dr's that are bad than good. But there are good ones out there.
Oh and your welcome.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 AM

88,487 posts, read 84,635,392 times
Quote:
It's not a schtick -- it's the way I am. I don't have a 'schtick.' So maybe that is yourself you are talking about. Either way -- if you want to not see my posts and are soooo over me use the ignore function and I would be more then glad if you did. (I guarantee you won't though...)

LOL, cute, very cute! I disagree heartily, but that's what this forum is--all about opinions, right?

BTW I have yet to use the ignore function on City-Data, FYI--don't even know how to do so--and at no point did I say I don't want to see your posts or are "sooo over you".

You have the right to post whatever you want, and the rest of us have the right to respond. And all should bear in mind that it's likely that those of us posting on this particular forum are a bunch of nuthatches anyway.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:35 AM

663 posts, read 1,081,205 times
OP, I can relate to the way you feel and I in no way believe you are being a drama queen. People resort to name calling and insults when they have nothing more intelligent to contribute but insist on continuing to speak (type). Calling someone a drama queen is belittling and only meant to harm....normally used by folks who are not in touch with their emotions and cannot relate to anyone else's experience.

My dad died last fall and just about everyone I know expects me to be over it. I mean, h*ll, it's been almost 4 months.....if you're not over it by now you need to get some help. I am not interested in therapy because I know how that game works. It won't make me feel anything but worse when someone tells me, after collecting their payment, "grief takes time and you will just have to get through it." Really, geez....I could have told myself that for free. Did they really go to school that long to tell me what I could easily come up with on my own? What a waste of time.

There's nothing wrong with looking for someone to relate to. In my experience when a person tried to talk to friends and get the "go get help" mantra, it's because the person just can't admit all they know how to do is listen, which is fine, but they likely aren't interested - not fine. I really do believe that most people are very self-centered and if the discussion isn't about them then it's not worth having. There are people out there who truly know how to listen and be a friend but those folks are few and far between, IMO. Telling someone to seek help is an easy out. Then they can think and assure themselves, "I helped them by telling them to get into counseling." That lets them off the hook (in their own minds) for, in reality, being a s*tty friend with no insight or interest.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 AM

88,487 posts, read 84,635,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
I don't know this girl in real life, but if she really is suicidal, I sympathize with her. And yeah, she is angry. Ever heard of depression being described as anger turn inward? Anger and depression oftentimes go hand and hand.
Yeah, that's pretty much Depression 101.

Quote:
People who are suicidal can't be reasoned with because you would have to be an unreasonable state of mind to want to kill yourself. You could give someone fifty thousand good reasons to live and it won't sink. The pain is consuming and fogs your mind and clouds your judgement.
Was reading an article recently about a woman who became severely depressed after she lost a child to cancer, and she attempted suicide and was hospitalized. Because of this, she nearly lost her husband and two surviving children, as well. It took a number of ECT treatments to get her out of it.

The woman said something in the article that I thought was profound: She said that now that she is better, she can see where her suicide attempt could be seen as selfish towards her husband and living children, but that at the time, she was not even CAPABLE of having such a thought. She just wanted to end the pain.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, cute, very cute! I disagree heartily, but that's what this forum is--all about opinions, right?

BTW I have yet to use the ignore function on City-Data, FYI--don't even know how to do so--and at no point did I say I don't want to see your posts or are "sooo over you".

You have the right to post whatever you want, and the rest of us have the right to respond. And all should bear in mind that it's likely that those of us posting on this particular forum are a bunch of nuthatches anyway.
I agree with you that everyone has a right to their opinion and response but how helpful are those opinions when a person is struggling? Ultimately, we are all struggling with something. If in person, would you refer to a friend's issues as a schtick? I doubt it. You might think it but you probably aren't going to say it....at least not couched the way a person can here or on other message boards.

I'm sure most people who know me in real life, at least lately, think I'm a 'nuthatch'. That doesn't mean I would come here seeking attention....at least not the type that has been inferred about the OP. Most people who do that are fairly obvious from their first post and then they never revisit C-D. You see it all the time in the relationship forum.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I don't know this girl in real life, but if she really is suicidal, I sympathize with her. And yeah, she is angry. Ever heard of depression being described as anger turn inward? Anger and depression oftentimes go hand and hand.

People who are suicidal can't be reasoned with because you would have to be an unreasonable state of mind to want to kill yourself. You could give someone fifty thousand good reasons to live and it won't sink. The pain is consuming and fogs your mind and clouds your judgement.
I'm not suicidal but I have severe issues with depression, have most of my life. I can see how someone can get to that point, unreasonable as it might be. It is unreasonable and it is selfish, and I can recognize that when not as depressed; while depressed it makes no difference. There might be 50,000 reasons to remain living, and all very good reasons, but the one or few things that are not good overshadow those 50,000. At least at the time.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:29 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,412,367 times
For Doll Eyes and Pug, I'd like to ask a question, not to argue or criticise what you've said, but because I'd seriously like to get your opinion, as I do know some people with major depression. There was a thread awhile back called What not to say when someone is depressed. But what DO you say? Do you just listen and say I'm sorry this is happening to you? It doesn't seem right not to offer something helpful if someone is opening up to you but if suggesting meds or therapy isn't helpful, then what would be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.