U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 PM

633 posts, read 493,630 times
Default You notice more and more people becoming more negative

I notice more and more... I even notice a lot on my peoples status on facebook... I cant say I'm not negative I been feeling deppressed a lot too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 02:45 PM

8,739 posts, read 4,253,579 times
Because life sucks.

(yes, I know that was negative).

Old 02-19-2012, 02:45 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,132,857 times
I notice it too; times are tough for everybody I know and it's kind of just eating away at everybody's happiness. I myself have only a part-time, no-benefits job that is fast becoming a living nightmare, but I try to look at the upsides of such situation. I have a job, I make enough to live alone and still save money and I have more time for my hobbies than I would at a full-time job.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:05 PM

202 posts, read 196,306 times
One reason I believe it happens is that the news is everywhere accessible and so very negative. There are so many uncertainties especially during these times. For most people it might be best to not watch the news anymore than one has to. I have heard it said that we will find out all that is important anyway.

Trying to help other people, I have found is the best way to stay happy. In other words to get our eyes off ourselves.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:20 PM

I got much to be deppressed about, I almost got nothing... my parent taking care of me and that is the only thing I have, other than having a career by going to school... wish I could live on my own with a job, and it is hard dealing with a drama family and my mother she have real anger problems to the point where she can hit me and scream at me for no reason like I am in a boot-camp (she bi-polar by the way)... I would love to have a relationship, hate being single, too... I havent worked for one year ( and not having any income at all, because I dont get unemployment) and trying to find a part-time job, and would be easy if I could drive to find a job. It's been very hard for a while, I do wish to just give up and die and believe me I have ended up in the hospital because I was going crazy about how my life is like right now. Tough time for me, wish it could end. I be happy on anything that is realistic.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 PM
ino

681 posts, read 1,236,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
I got much to be deppressed about, I almost got nothing... my parent taking care of me and that is the only thing I have, other than having a career by going to school... wish I could live on my own with a job, and it is hard dealing with a drama family and my mother she have real anger problems to the point where she can hit me and scream at me for no reason like I am in a boot-camp (she bi-polar by the way)... I would love to have a relationship, hate being single, too... I havent worked for one year ( and not having any income at all, because I dont get unemployment) and trying to find a part-time job, and would be easy if I could drive to find a job. It's been very hard for a while, I do wish to just give up and die and believe me I have ended up in the hospital because I was going crazy about how my life is like right now. Tough time for me, wish it could end. I be happy on anything that is realistic.
NOTE: I'm not aiming anything at you here, just that what you said about 'dieing' touched a chord on a personal level.

I think this is happening to many people nowadays. Our parents went through a post war boom, we are in a capitalistic downhill rollacoaster. Very hard to remain positive when it's difficult to see a positive future, and don't know about where you are, but here young adults need to remain, or return home due to economic and employment times. This is not good for the parents, or a society in general either. The young adults should be leading active and productive lives themselves...But that appears easier said than done today. Life is a bit like a pressure cooker today, keeping that lid on hoping it won't explode.

I guarantee you are not alone in your thoughts.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
NOTE: I'm not aiming anything at you here, just that what you said about 'dieing' touched a chord on a personal level.

I think this is happening to many people nowadays. Our parents went through a post war boom, we are in a capitalistic downhill rollacoaster. Very hard to remain positive when it's difficult to see a positive future, and don't know about where you are, but here young adults need to remain, or return home due to economic and employment times. This is not good for the parents, or a society in general either. The young adults should be leading active and productive lives themselves...But that appears easier said than done today. Life is a bit like a pressure cooker today, keeping that lid on hoping it won't explode.

I guarantee you are not alone in your thoughts.
The people who going through the same as I am I just want to hug them and cry with them hope the pain would go away soon... what is more harder for me my parent is not accepting of gays since I am gay myself, as they always questioning me,,, is even harder dealing with that...

Old 02-19-2012, 05:13 PM
ino

681 posts, read 1,236,424 times
Quote:
The people who going through the same as I am I just want to hug them and cry with them hope the pain would go away soon... what is more harder for me my parent is not accepting of gays since I am gay myself, as they always questioning me,,, is even harder dealing with that...
I'll respond to that from a personal perspective.

"Hope" and "pain", you said it!

I'm over 3 score in vintage and grew up in the dying days of the 'children should be seen and not heard' era, when the young started to express themselves and rebelled against the antiquated and narrow minded thinking of the past. Practically anything which fell outside of parents/relatives acceptance and/or approval, especially same sex relationships, was simply not open to discussion, mainly because that generation came up through the dinosaur era.

That mentality may have applied prior to WW11, but since then the world is revolving much faster so to speak, and it's getting increasingly harder for some, dare I say *most*, to keep up.

The incidence of depression, anxiety, and a host of other problems, [I *refuse* to call them 'disorders' because they are NOT disorders, rather they are an ever increasing sign of the times and a reflection of pressures most are under today], are growing larger in number by the day. Anything out of the accepted 'norm?' is considered a 'disorder' by academics and the medical profession.

The pendulum needs to swing back in the peoples favour, ordinary people need to regain some control over what the future is bringing for THEM, else most will be on some form of medication just to survive and maintain some form of 'functionality'.

Disclaimer: All the above is just my opinion.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 AM

2,667 posts, read 2,125,518 times
Quote:
I notice more and more... I even notice a lot on my peoples status on facebook... I cant say I'm not negative I been feeling deppressed a lot too...
Largely, it's the economy. The US in particular is very hard hit just because there is less community spirit, fewer people have families to fall back on than they did 50 years ago. So what you have are a lot of very scared, stressed out and lost people, partly thanks to decades of being an extremely consumerist society with a notion of the American dream, which is nothing more than a bygone era for many people, as they struggle to make ends meet, despite seemingly making all the right choices and working hard, while you still have a large chunk of the population blaming people for their financial plights, even though there simply aren't enough jobs to go around.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,455,390 times
What does it mean to be negative? (Always complaining? Always expecting the worst? Giving up hope that things will ever be any better?)...I was talking to a friend yesterday and she said that she couldn't understand why some widows put their spouses up on a pedestal. (I'm a widow. My friend divorced early in life and never remarried.)...I said that my husband wasn't a saint and I'm not either. But we did have a happy marriage that lasted 24 years. We were best friends and very close...My friend's husband left her for another woman. (Sad!) And she didn't have positive experiences with men after her divorce and just "gave up." So she never experienced lasting love and friendship in a marriage. It's all foreign to her. And in her mind it just doesn't exist! When she hears women talking about being happily married she thinks they are "nuts" or living in a "dream world." And she wants to "set them straight" and tries to "burst their bubble." (For their own "good!")...This way they won't end-up disappointed like she was! And she expects widows to be like her too. Everyone is suppose to join in and "bad-mouth" men in general! No one is allowed to "have" what "she never had!" She doesn't want to hear about anyone's "happy marriage." She's on a mission to turn all women into "man-haters." This way she won't feel so alone. Sad!....This is an example of negativity to me. Some people have trouble accepting that others are happy. (Or were happy anyway!) And they try to recruit new members into their "ain't it awful" club....Of course we're not always going to be happy about everything. We all face problems and obstacles in our lives at times. (I sure am right now!) But I just don't want to "poison" my mind (or life) with chronic negativity or bitterness etc. (Because this never makes me happy!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health