Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 03:09 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,544 times

Advertisements

Turns out I strongly match 6 out of 7 characteristics for Schizoid Personality Disorder, and only failed the 7th since I actually like sex (although the wife usually initiates it). I also received a score of "90%" on the test that has it alongside other PD's , then tested positive for it again on yet another test.

I might have traits of Aspergers as well after talking to other people - such as inappropriate smiling + laughing (like laughing + smiling at my sobbing wife, or people upset because "dad just died" etc), a history of skipping birthdays + holidays completely and not understanding peoples negative reaction to it, and just in general being called a "jerk" when I have no idea what I've done.

It's funny how numerous pieces of my life now make sense, and when I've accused and wondered if people were faking emotions (like family being sad at my grandmothers funeral, or my wife sad from something that happened the day before, etc), - maybe I was wrong.

This may sound stupid, but I've learned people actually do tie feelings to words ("I love you" etc), and can genuinely be upset about past events, in short - that people aren't like me.

Having said that - I feel I'm done with it. I'm not the type that needs counseling, I really don't understand people who do or how words can have a positive affect. I'm relieved it's not a "bad" disorder - I have no desire to harm, my thinking is black and white and doesn't allow room for "strangeness" - I spent half of a Sunday learning about me, putting my life in complete perspective, and learning how I could be a better husband - time to move on, it's old news by now.

I'll take the tips people gave and be done with it.

The only thing I'm wondering is if there's any reason to be formally diagnosed. Does it mean anything? I don't want to be "attached" to something seen as a negative due to my career. I've explained it to my wife/parents by now, was able to explain tons of past behavior in the context, and I can't imagine what else there is to get out of this. It really feels like old news by now, I'll try to adjust, but I'm otherwise done with it.

Is there a point to seeing a therapist about this and getting officially diagnosed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
There is no value to this diagnosis unless you want to explain/defend your interpersonal relationships (or lack thereof) or if you wish to apply for disability.

There is no medication to treat this diagnosis unless you have accompanying symptoms, depression, anxiety etc.

If your daily functioning is impaired, you might benefit from therapy but that is doubtful.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:15 PM

256 posts, read 480,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
There is no value to this diagnosis unless you want to explain/defend your interpersonal relationships (or lack thereof) or if you wish to apply for disability.
I would say there is no value in self-diagnosis. You want to know for sure - see a professional. Otherwise it's just cyberchondria.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:29 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
I agree with Zen - You cant not diagnosis yourself, that is why there are professionals - Should you see a professional to confirm your diagnosis unless your thinking of applying SSDI (which seems silly since you are working and it seems to affect your personal rather than your professional life) I would keep it under your hat - I'm sorry to say there is still a great deal of stigma attached to mental illness - I would just keep it between family memebers and allow all the others to think your just odd. Odd is not necessarily bad.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:01 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
If you're ok with the way you are, you've gone this long without a diagnosis, right? Some people don't care for labels and don't want one.

On the other hand, I need to know 'what's wrong with me,' LOL. It was important for me to get a diagnosis for health insurance reasons and also so I can look up information myself, talk to others in similar situations, etc. Aspergers is not just about 'social misfit' many people do not even look into the physical/cognitive traits of this autism spectrum syndrome. Did you ever look into if you have any of those as well? Also, I used to think I had SPD but have learned 1. it's very hard to get officially diagnosed as SPD, usually they will say 'social anxiety disorder' and 2. it's very rare in the first place. Most people that have SPD do not seek help b/c they do not think there's anything 'wrong' with them. Most SPD people do not even get married. Read up on it more if you can.... As far as self diagnosis goes, it only does so much, IMO. Anyone can read the DSM and mix and match their symptoms with various disorders, diseases, etc. I think you can do research and kinda sorta get a grasp and narrow it down to something if you can remain unbiased (I did that), but I don't think you can say for sure without being properly tested, diagnosed. The different types of testing and evals they do are not on the same level as many of the online quizzes. gl.

Note: if you want, here's 2 pretty decent online aspie quizzes:

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/autism.htm

http://rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times
No offense, OP, but the people above are right....you Can't diagnose yourself. Also, you seem a little too aware and cognizant of your "traits" to really be diagnosed with your mentioned disorder. I moved my schizophrenic mother in with me 12 years years ago (7 years no meds) and came off of 35 years/ no meds and multiple commitments to mental hospitals. On top of that my grandmother had it as well and my nephew is severely autistic. I also care full time for mentally challenged individuals. I'm just not seeing it. If you wonder? Ask a professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health