U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 AM

37 posts, read 192,224 times

Advertisements

i was informed a while back by someone on this form they can't sue me, because I am on disability.. And permanantly disabled...

She said "they can't sue me because of my income from disabilty..
And because I am disabled"....

And I DO have a valid reason for leaving...
that will help my mental health.... Even my doctors and therapist would put this in writing....

I need to know before I sign the lease... because the lease says I can break the lease.. BUT! I will be charged $890.00 (my rent fee ) for every month my apartment is not rented..

However...This statement has NO clause for the disabled...

Although several people have told me this is void
and does not apply if you are permanently disabled..
Which is my situation...

I just don't know.... and can no longer affored the
month to month fee of $ 100.00 dollars I pay Since September. because I want to move May 1st. So far I have paid $ 700.00...

What do you know ???

Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:51 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,137,109 times
To my knowledge the disabled can still be sued, however, if the disabled person has no income other than disability, it might prove difficult to collect. There are laws governing the rights of disabled, but I have never heard of special circumstances surrounding non-payment of rent. Landlords can not discriminate and they may need to allow some modifications to the livable space, but I can't imagine there are laws that would cause a landlord to lose income based solely on a disabled persons inability to pay rent.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:13 AM

I think if you ask a Mod to move this post to the real estate renting section, you may get a better response. Perhaps there are some real estate professionals who can answer your question. Just a thought.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:15 AM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
You can be sued same as everyone else under contract law. As to the amount allowed you need to check landlord tenant laws and what it allows in your state and city.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 AM

I just read another thread you posted in the mental health section that states your finances are OK. So now I am confused.

Based on this other post, I understand you are under stress, but expecting not to pay your landlord for ending your lease early, putting the expenses on the landlord, just doesn't seem fair either.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:22 PM

@ Beth...

you were saying " in another post i said my finances are okay "..

maybe this will clear your confusionn..

when i say okay.. i mean not great. and not to the point where it is not enough. but just okay. yet iam satisfied and grateful for even what i get. which is not much. but i am grateful that i
with the help from disability.

i have a child.

i do get disability...
but is just enough to pay bills and provide for my child...
not much left over.

but ya know.. i am just grateful i can provide for my daughter.
yesterday i ordered 2 books she wanted.
"Diary of a wimpy kid" & "dork diaries"- from amazon..

i love amazon.. we got them both from a dealer who sells NEW books cheap !!!

honestly, if i could not provide her needs,
i WOULD would say my finances are "poor".so we are "okay".

i can't get out much... so cable is my perk..
I love movies !!!

my finances are okay as long as i can pay can pay bills, and get my child what is needed. - that humbles me. for that i am grateful !!!
and i cannot complain.

however the reason i worry about being sued is this:
-did you read the part where if i BROKE the lease. I would have to pay the amount of my rent, for every month my apartment was vacant.

then i would not be okay. Because i would be paying for the new place we moved to in addition to the old apartment. that is almost $2,000 dollars.
which could be as high as $6,000 if it takes a few months.

how can i possibly afford that with that ? i don't have that kind of money.

but i do have enough for 1 rental payment monthly.
so we are "okay". enough to get me by.

hope this cleared up any confusion.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:57 PM

@ beth.
also. i do agree with you 100% "ABOUT PUTTING IT ON MY LANDLORD"

thanks for being straight forward ! I like that.

the complex i live in has a few times commned me for always paying my rent on time
and i have been here 5 years. my apt is clean, with no faults.

i am seriously considering paying the extra $100 a month. i loaned it. which i have never done
so with the extra $100 i pay without the loan i would be struggling.
Beth, i see your point. it bothers me to leave early. yet i want to be fair.

so i am thinking of talking to the apartment manager. i wrote letter once to the complex office stating all the reasons i am grateful for living here. and happy. yet because of other abusive challenges, i can no longer stay in the area. it's not healthy for me. anyway i gave permission for the letter to be presented to a panel for best comlex in my area. they needed one tenant opinion. past tenant opinions. and a poll from residents. also what complex had to offer.

a month later a huge banner was in front of our complex. saying BEST complex in our city voted by
our local magazine. i also host a party for the kids in the complex once year. i get food donations from
several grocery stores. because some kids, families here are also just making it too and poor. And the kids deserve it.
before i got sick. i shoveled snow on our walkway (only my building) because i would rise about 6:00 am. and the company the complex hired would get here around 2:00 . even when we had blizzards.
by then we are slippin' and sliding and busting our behinds. i do these thing because i love to help. makes me happy. apt manager told me if there was anything they could ever do for me to let them know. because they got pay raises.and pride from being the BEST. this is a million dollar complex. yet they allow a lot of section 8. which is great. this is the ONLY complex in our small town that does ! we all need a nice place to live.

i have a hard time asking for what i need. a huge fault of mine. my dog is a service animal yet i was afraid to let the complex know because we have a cat too, for fear they wouldn't allow her. they were more than happy. and i found out the pet limit is 2 animals.

i will speak to apartment manager and see if we can work out something. if not i will do the fair thing.

sorry i wrote so much. comes from part of my mental health disability. not the cancer.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:44 PM

15,709 posts, read 22,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Connection View Post
i was informed a while back by someone on this form they can't sue me, because I am on disability.. And permanantly disabled...

She said "they can't sue me because of my income from disabilty..
And because I am disabled"....

And I DO have a valid reason for leaving...
that will help my mental health.... Even my doctors and therapist would put this in writing....

I need to know before I sign the lease... because the lease says I can break the lease.. BUT! I will be charged $890.00 (my rent fee ) for every month my apartment is not rented..

However...This statement has NO clause for the disabled...

Although several people have told me this is void
and does not apply if you are permanently disabled..
Which is my situation...

I just don't know.... and can no longer affored the
month to month fee of $ 100.00 dollars I pay Since September. because I want to move May 1st. So far I have paid $ 700.00...

What do you know ???

Thank you !
If you are paying the $100 additional bc you didn't sign a new lease,its considered month to month. You can terminate in writing according to state laws 30-60days without penalties. Read the lease.

There are no disability clauses. If rent is in arrears, you are responsible. Non payment puts you in a postion to be taken to small claims court with a judgement on your record. It will make renting in the future nearly impossible unless you can find an LL willing to overlook the rental history. Not very likely.

Moving into subsidzed housing for example section 8, only 30 day notice is required with no penalties. The typical move out inspection is done and any damages are assessed and deducted from the security deposit. Arrears in rental payments must still be payed in full.

If you have further questions you can DM me.

Last edited by virgode; 03-02-2012 at 02:55 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,462,249 times
It's called being " judgement proof "

If someone is on SSDI on a permanent basis it would be extremely difficult for someone to successfully sue that person based on SSDI beig the only source of income.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:21 PM

15,709 posts, read 22,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
It's called being " judgement proof "

If someone is on SSDI on a permanent basis it would be extremely difficult for someone to successfully sue that person based on SSDI beig the only source of income.
Incorrect. Granted theres nothing to collect and a waste of time, it happens. Would you rent to someone with housing judgments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or